As many of you Finale/fullGPO/fullKontakt users already know, there IS a way to get Finale and Human Playback to recognize full GPO in the full version of Kontakt. These instructions were kindly supplied by Robert P. (the designer of Finale's HP). I just thought it would be a good idea to assemble them and also add my own solution when using the Basic Orchestral Percussion.
(Robert P. wrote):
HP needs a bit of prefs tweaking for it to work.
- First, go to HP Prefs and duplicate the Default pref set.
- In Techniques, remove any reference to General MIDI or SoftSynth (bottom of list).
- Go to HP Prefs/Techniques, for any line including a filter of type "If Library/Device name contains" or "If Device name contains", add the string (or just replace with) "kontakt 2". For instance if there is "Garritan", set it to "Garritan, kontakt 2" (with a comma). Currently, it is filtered for GPO/Garritan/JABB names, and that's why it doesn't work.
It's a little boring to do, but the good thing is that once you've done it once, you don't need to do it again since you have a dedicated HP pref set. Also, don't forget that you may attach this HP pref set to a particular file (so it becomes 'document option' rather than 'program option').
It should work whether you are using K2 as VST/AU, or external MIDI device (through Finale's MIDI setup).
(This part is very important. Without the following Finale won't send any CC#1, ie dynamic midi data)
For CC#1, simply add a line to the prefs (by duplicating the Legato line for instance), call it "CC#1 dynamic" or so, and set the following params:
- Instrument= "Any sustaining"
- Technique= "Dynamic controller"
- Action 1 = "Dymamic: CC#1"
- Action 2/3 = skip
- Filter = "If device name contains 'kontakt 2' "
and last my own solution when using the Basic Orchestral Percussion:
Notation Style in Staff Attributes MUST be set to Percussion, otherwise HP won't recognize this staff as a percussion part and tremolo/dynamic etc won't work. If you're using the Setup Wizard, Finale will automatically set the Notation Style to Percussion. If you (like me) sometimes add a stave afterwards, the default Notation Style for Finale is Standard. (One of the reasons it took me AND MM's tech support weeks to solve this was that this is not necessary when using Kontakt Player.)