• Register
  • Help

Topic: Slightly embarassing moment

Share/Bookmark

Slightly embarassing moment

I was fortunate to find time to attend the Composerexpo at the Skirball center in Los Angeles yesterday. I'm not a film compose but I really enjoy meeting some of the enthusiastic composers in the field of composing for TV, television, commercials, videos and games.

There was a nice technology exhibit / show at the expo and there was this very nice fellow showing off his new sound library. Obviously very proud of it and he should be, it was a nice library. Here I am, though, still not familiar with the sample library business, listening intently as he shows off the various articulations off the keyboard. It isn't the sort of library that I would crave, but hey, I might be interested. Having heard just a little about the library, I ask him.... "how much?" He grins and says "twenty three ninty five." Okay.... I start thinking.... "It can't be just 23 dollars, but how could it possibly be two thousand three hundred, ninty five?" The first seemed ridiculously inexpensive, the latter ridiculously expensive. (I was expecting something like 'three hundred, seventy five dollars.) Furthermore, the library came in one of those flimsy cardboard boxes that you get Turbotax or Quickbooks in. The box "said".... "78 bucks.

So, I come back later and ask again, "how much?" He says "23 cents' jokingly. So, imagine my embarrasment when I get the nerve to ask, "you mean it is just 23 dollars." "Uh, no... its two thousand, three hundred dollars." "Whoa, no thanks, can't afford that!"

Seems like the Britanica syndrome. I think he would sell 20 times as many libraries if he sold it for $375. He'd make more money. Maybe even a lot more money. Maybe he should have a group buy.

I was embarrassed.

David

Re: Slightly embarassing moment

I know what you mean. I realised the other day that since iIbought my DAW, I have spent nearly £6,500 sterling! on sample libraries....

and I still havent had a comission! erm thankfully she who must be obeyed, does not know the full cost of what I have bought recently.....

Best wishes

Simon
    www.sounds-and-images.co.uk

And now also at Flickr!

http://flickr.com/photos/sounds-and-images/

www.myspace.com/simonfielder

NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Simon Fielder's Profile at NorthernSounds.net

OK, just have to ask. What was the name of the library?

Peace

rikp

It would be off by $100, but I'll still guess Broadway Big Band.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Greene
    It would be off by $100, but I'll still guess Broadway Big Band.
    It was the Broadway Big Band.

As I later got to listen to more, I can appreciate the work that was put into it and the variety of articulations. I am sure that there are a number of musicians who would enjoy it. Still strikes me as too much money to sell. A much lower price would sell a great deal more and make more money in the long run, IMHO.

David

Yeah, the tag has totally put me off that lib. I'm a $500 sale waiting to happen, but I'm *never* going to be a $2500 sale for it. It's gotten great reviews, though, maybe they're moving enough that it doesn't matter.

After wasting $350 on MUSE I wouldn't even consider spending $300 on Broadway Big Band UNLESS I was able to actually play it for myself first.
    I am weary of trusting audio demos these days.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

curious to know why you wouldn't even buy it at $300. So far it has imho the best midi mockup of any pop/jazz/big band horn library I have heard.
    rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------
    Nuendo 4.3 | Intel DP35DP : Intel Quad Core QX 6700 : 4GB RAM | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | 2xUAD-1, UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 4.5.2 | MacBookPro 2.16 Ghz | 10.6.3 | 2GB | TC Konnekt 8

please see my edited earlier post.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

Well the apparent power consumption maybe can be credited to the use of Steinberg's Halion Player. Of course Sonivoxmi claimed to have fixed "all the bugs" in Halion which made it ultimately unusable e.g. with Project SAM's True Strike 1. Personally I am a sworn enemy of Halion, ever since growing grey hair while trying to use it in daily music work.

The music which can be created by BBB sounds great! The price tag always made me wonder but maybe they thought: 50 customers are better than 500. Let's do the math:

50 x 2495$ = 124 750$
    500 x 300$ = 150 000$

Who knows what they were thinking... Most probably it is unrealistic to think you will sell more than 50 legal copies anyways.

Seems that Halion still sucks big time, even though in this case it may only suck cpu cycles...
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

Go Back to forum