• Register
  • Help

Topic: Laptop + Indigo + Giga = Latency!

Laptop + Indigo + Giga = Latency!

Hey Folks -

I am running a new 2.4 Ghz latop, with XP. I have a noticeable (500 ms?) latency when running Giga. I now know its not my midi interface (though I had that problem too). What steps can I take to optimize to eliminate this problem? I\'m spoiled by my desktop giga machine - no detectable latency at ALL! Is the Tascam U122 (also GSIF) a better way to go? I know there are tutorials out there on the web - please feel to just point me in the right direction...

Thanks for your help,

aka fanagiga!

Re: Laptop + Indigo + Giga = Latency!

I have the same idea.
    I use Giga/Desktop PC and would like to have another laptop (on the road).

But there are many problems:
    1. The latency of the card (I\' ve bought the Tascam US-122)
    2. Giga need a very fast harddrive for the .gig files. It is a shame to use the internal laptop drive, you must have an external Firewire or USB2 drive. (7200 rpm)

For your problem, I just can tell you that I hesitated between Indigo and US-122 but the GSIF support is maybe more stable with Tascam .....
    Sorry, I can\' t send you my opinion because I\' m waiting for my laptop .....

Best Regards

Chouine -

I am happy, though a bit embarassed, to announce that I may have solved my own problem. I read on another forum that latency issues can be caused by having too large a sample buffer on the sound card. My problem magically disappeared, and then I was able to reproduce it by increasing the size of the sample buffer. Then, when I reduced it to the minimum, it restored the near-zero latency that I am now experiencing reproducibly, even when I pipe the midi signal to through Logic, Maple Midi Tools, and finally into Giga. All of this while streaming off my laptop\'s hard drive. Hope this helps...

I\'m glad for you !
    I have a little question: do you use only the laptop hardrive for giga and .gig files ?

Best Regards

Chouine -

Much to my suprise, I am currently \'getting away with it\', using just my laptop drive. I have gotten 120 voices (or more?) but I haven\'t really pushed it with many samples at once. I can say that I can play the Gigapiano live without noticing any performance deficit. I suspect that when I try to record some audio too, or load more complex performance sets, I may have some trouble, but so far, so good. When that happens, I will get a firewire drive...

Best of luck with your work,

Waou !
    Amazing ..... !
    Good Luck ....... !

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Dallas, Texas

For your problem, I just can tell you that I hesitated between Indigo and US-122 but the GSIF support is maybe more stable with Tascam .....
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'m not sure how stable the GSIF support is on the US-122, but ALL the Echo products have very solid GSIF, that works well even with other protocols running. So have no fear of the Echo products, for anyone who\'s considering them.

Go Back to forum