• Register
  • Help

Topic: Music from the Spicy Chicken and other adventures: Happy Go Lively!

Share/Bookmark

Music from the Spicy Chicken and other adventures: Happy Go Lively!

Here are three pieces that are all of the same genre, i.e., the music library "needle drop" music of the 1950's. I get a kick out of writing in this style.

Cisco Burger
    This piece was originally written for the Cisco Burger web site. Cisco Burger is a new hamburger restaurant in Long Beach, CA owned by Jesse James (Monster Garage, Mr. Sandra Bullock). It was an animated promotional cartoon on his web site (www.ciscoburger.com). So far, we've produced two episodes.
    http://www.stevebarden.com/audio/sco...o%20Burger.mp3

Culinary Arts
    This is another of the Spicy Chicken Cards characters, "The Flatulent Chef". I'm not even going to give you a link. I think you can find it if you're really curious.
    http://www.stevebarden.com/audio/sco...ary%20Arts.mp3

Happy Dog
    This is the first piece I wrote in this style. Originally, Happy Dog was a TV commercial for an animal hospital, but like all of our great cartoon characters he became a Spicy Chicken Cards character. I did share this on this forum 2 or 3 years ago, but since there are so many new members I thought it would be okay to include it again.
    http://www.stevebarden.com/audio/sco...appy%20Dog.mp3

Steve
    Steve Barden
    www.SteveBarden.com
    "So....it's a profit deal!" - Navin R. Johnson

Re: Music from the Spicy Chicken and other adventures: Happy Go Lively!

Hi Steve,

you have done a good job with this, very well done! I love that style very much.

My only suggestion is, I think you have used too much reverb. For this sound it is great to use a warm reverb-plate-effect with short reverbtime..

Again, very well done Steve!

Best

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

This was interesting to listen to because I can remember this sort of music but back then it was pretty lo-fi.

It's well done.

Phil

GREat to hear more of your super stuff, Steve.

When you posted the "Love is Blind" post last time, I Had to show my lady Kate - and oh man did we laugh our hineys off. hehe.

And in these new posts, you've captured a certain kind of generic '50's music perfectly. --WIth the caveat that I agree with Gunther, that the reverb is Way more than it needs to be, especially to go with the style you're re-creating here.

Thanks!
    Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Yeah, yeah, yeah...too much reverb...I know. It's gonna be my curse! These were all made some time ago so I have yet to post anything recent with the new and improved sense of space and ambiance.

Thanks for the compliments. I also love this style. Now, where did I leave that big reverb unit...?

Cheers,
    Steve
    Steve Barden
    www.SteveBarden.com
    "So....it's a profit deal!" - Navin R. Johnson

Steve, a total capture on these, perfect catch on emulating
    that bubbling sort of 50's ride. Now, normally this sort of
    music gives me hives, of course; but I surely recognize the
    skill -- and got quite a kick out of a revisitation to the sounds
    I grew up with.

The Flatulent Chef must be an interesting colleague with whom
    to work...

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Wonderful job capturing that 50's sound in Cisco's Burger... but I must admit, to me it sounds like "buying stuff in The Sims" Same kind of music they use in that game.

I really enjoyed Culinary Arts as well, that melody is extremely catchy, and very up-beat. Makes me want to bake a delicious colorful cake. Yum...

Happy Dog is another catchy toe-tapper, it instantly put a smile on my face.

My only critique, as Gunther said, is that there may be just a bit too much reverb as the reverb of one note gets in the way of the next. Other than that, wonderful work! I love your orchestration, and this style of music is so bright and colorful I'm glad you enjoy writing it!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum