• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: $12,000 for a personal string section?

OT: $12,000 for a personal string section?

As an announcement for Summer NAMM 2007, Audio Impressions is releasing their highly anticipated, new DVZ Powered Strings Library as part of a turnkey computer system built by the VisionDAW company.

The turnkey system costs $12,000, and consists of three high-end computers in rack mount enclosures.

The software alone can be purchased for $3,500.

The press release says "To play all of the sounds at once in the library requires 3 Apple Mac Pro's or Intel Pentium IV PC's (2 GHz or faster) at 44.1-48 kHz. You're able to go from composing music in the studio to performing live theatrical-stage productions by simply adding computers for higher audio resolutions."

I'm sure this is a worthwhile product that achieves new levels of realism. And if you're a major Hollywood composer who has scored dozens of movies, I guess it's a reasonable business expense.

I'm just curious as to what the market is like for such systems; how successful and profitable can a company be when developing products in this price range?
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Music Copyist in Sibelius
    Apple MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    Apple Certified Support Professional. I also work with Windows.

Re: OT: $12,000 for a personal string section?

Time will tell. VSL is in that price range, and they seem to be doing OK. I won't be buying this anytime soon however.

East West Quantum Leap's Symphonic Orchestra Platinum XP bundle lists for
    $2995. They recommend 4 computers to run it.

It's a good thing I have a little bit of discipline or I'd be flat broke.

- k
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

...Well, I'm sure Jeremy Soule will enjoy this, at any rate. Maybe they'll have an academic edition...

Go Back to forum