• Register
  • Help

Topic: MacOSx & iTunes question

Share/Bookmark

Question MacOSx & iTunes question

iTunes has something that is always on and running called iTunes helper.
    I have no idea what it is or what it does.
    If you try to uninstall iTunes on a Mac, by dropping the iTunes.app in the trashcan, it will refuse to empty because it says iTunes helper is in use.

Anyone know how to delete iTunes helper or turn it off so it is not always started on startup and always on?

Recently, I have re-installed Mac OS X on this powerbook, and first thing i did was trashcanned many bundled apps which i don't use. Since i had not yet updated, i checked to see if that earlier version of iTunes would be disposable and it deleted without any refusal.

Now on this computer, Finale with KP2, GPO and JABB are working well with clear sound and without the dropouts and static crackling and pops, as it was before the reinstal, so i suspect the always on iTunes helper could have been a contributing factor to the poor sound.

I have VLC for playing music, which i love, but the problem now is I have some tunes puchased on iTunes that i now can't play, says this computer is not authorized.

I could have just kept the older version of iTunes and not updated, except the blurb on that update says something about security, so i don't know if there is a risk in running that one.

I would like to see, if possible, if everything works well with iTunes, but without the "helper" always on.

If anyone can help, it will be appreciated very much, thanks,
    David

Re: MacOSx & iTunes question

Refusing to update iTunes will probably not really compromise your security.

Thanks, I may give that a try. I was hoping someone knew of a method for controlling what gets turned on in start up on Mac, like that thing in Windows where you can uncheck the boxes... or something like that.

System Preferences -> Accounts -> Login Items
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Thanks C J Pro. That one i found before, but it is confusing. It has the list that reads "These items will open automatically when you log in," but under the list it reads "To hide an application when you log in, click it's Hide checkbox."

It doesn't really say anything about disabling or turning off, just that it will hide it. iTunes helper was the only thing on that list before i reinstalled OSX. I think i recall it's checkbox was checked, but not sure. Should i have unchecked it then i would be able to find it to use it's preferences to turn it on or off?

Go Back to forum