• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The busy cobbler (classical duet)

The busy cobbler (classical duet)

This is a short duet that I originally wrote for violin and cello, but I wanted to try out a clarinet and bassoon combination. It is a busy piece (hence the name busy cobbler). I did make sure that the players would have time to breath, but they do not have a lot of time. All comments are welcome.
    thanks -Jay

Re: The busy cobbler (classical duet)

This is a nice piece, and would seem to work with almost any combination of two instruments. It almost sounds like a keyboard piece, so clear are the two parts. I like the shifts into minor and back - they are done very smoothly. My only criticism is that the ornaments are a little too quick, so quick they sometimes sound like bluesy slides; given that the piece is very classical in its language, I doubt that is what you meant. So, just a small thing. Otherwise, nice job, and nice rendering!
    Ron Pearl

Fun to listen to, its great!

Jay, perhaps you record another version of it and let them play 7bpm slower?

"Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Ron, thank for listening. I certainly did not want to imply bluesy slides in this. I was trying to mess around with ornamentation, perhaps I got a little carried away with it.

gunther, I am glad that you liked it. I wanted to keep the pace up a little bit on this. I kept thinking about a cobbler running around in his shop, from shoe to shoe, keeping himself very busy. thanks for listening.

Wilton, NH

I liked this a lot. To my ears it has a kind of Baroque feel to it. To an extent I agree with Ron’s statement – some of the ornaments work very well, but others tend to be a little bluesy. Not bad or distracting in my opinion, but I still understand what Ron is talking about. The rendering sounds great. Over all, very nice job.
    Trent P. McDonald

Sweet piece, Jay!

It's definitely my theatre background coming through, but it strikes me what a perfect piece of music this would be for a children's show where the scene shifts to a cobbler's workshop and we see him working away, like in "The Shoemaker and The Elves." It'd be perfect.

I see the discussion on the thread about the "ornamentation." Hmmm, it didn't come across necessarily "bluesy" to me, and the bits didn't seem too fast, but I noticed that the Clarinet was doing Acciaccaturas all the time - touching the pitch 1/2 step below a target pitch. Maybe different kind of ornaments would be in order here and there, like a Quintuplet Turn, or the most common Trill on the lower auxiliary. The touch of Baroque mentioned here might be more complete.

I liked this little foray. I thought it worked great with these two woods.

Randy B.

Delightful piece, very nice work!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Very nice piece and I quite liked the ornamentation giving it just a little different touch. I know you wrote it as a duet but somehow it felt like anticipating the entry of a third instrument, a bit contrasting to the other two, maybe a little playful... to sound even more busy...

What a very delightful little piece! The counterpoint is marvellous, very playful and yet majestic at the same time. Thank you.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

I am glad that you liked this trent. I was trying to get a baroque feel to this, even though I got the idea to use this instrument combo from something that I heard Beethoven do.

Thanks randy. This is my first try at adding baroque style ornamentation. I think you are right, that there should be more variety in the ornament treatment. Thanks for listening.

Sean, thanks for taking the time to listen and comment. I had fun writing this piece.

Sunbird, that is an interesting idea, bringing in a 3rd part. The distribution of the counterpoint would need to be worked on, but I like the idea. I appreciate you listening and comments. Thanks.

LouisD, I have always liked counterpoint. I find it hard to keep from getting carried away with it (by making it to busy.) Anyway, I am glad that you liked it.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast