• Register
  • Help

Topic: Short exert regard. realistic Vlns playing in section

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb Short exert regard. realistic Vlns playing in section

Hello my dear friends,

well... today I will just post an very "short" exert which show the use of GPO together with add libs. in focus of vibrato & portamento for the main A & B
    Vlns. This short exert is just compose for this little demo here ! and will be not longer.. ..it was written in the style of the good old 50 - 60 filmscene music.. ..comments welcome

Link: http://www.box.net/shared/anffp456vj
    Last edited by Jaques; 07-28-2007 at 07:46 AM. Reason: wrong letter

Re: Short exert regard. realistic Vlns playing in section

Hi Jaques,

thank you for posting this. It sounds very good (EDIT no, in fact it is exceptional!) and I am happy to meet someone else that is heading to strings realism.

One idea that I would like to add is that I personally always distinct between upwards and downwards portamenti. Their "meaning" in music is different, the occasions where to use them differ, and also the physical technique on the violin may be different at times. I do not want to offer rules or so, this is just something to keep in mind.

Would you mind to share some details of your setup?

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Hello, Jaques

Here's another one of your wonderful posts I've been waiting to reply to.

Short and sweet as it is, it fulfills Exactly the reason you put it together for us. Superb use of vibrato and portamento with the strings. It's the kind of naturalistic touches we could all do well to use more of.

I'm looking forward to another full piece from you!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Jaques,

I agree with Hannes; exceptionally good work with the rendering
    in this snippet.

Not that I can do it better, mind you... rofl -- but something,
    something in the nuance of those portamenti still strikes me as
    just a bit off. Maybe try slightly dropping tempi during the
    slide itself; and pulling back dynamics slightly as you enter
    the portamento, raising it slightly as you leave it.

I think my ear is telling me that this is a little too perfect?

Hannes is one of our resident string masters, I think -- perhaps
    he could translate for us stringless people the exact details of
    how a good violinist would execute the portamenti; the real
    mechanics of it.

Always my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I would like to know which controller, at what moment, and at what value, was used for the portamento.

I would like to see if this can be replicated in Finale.

I would need to create expressions in Finale that are assigned to the various controllers, and I would need to know where to place them for playback - before the note? after the note?

does polyphony need to be set to "1" for violins to react this way?

Wink Re: Short exert regard. realistic Vlns playing in section

Dear Michel,

well..1. You have to use "logic" as sequenzer program. I use here an old one... vers. 5.5.1 for pc... I also use Sib. 4.1.5 & 5 VST
    2. it can not be reproduced like this.. in finale to my knowledge..
    3. it can be maybe reproduced in Sibelius 5 /vst or Finale 2007/ vst maybe in combination and in config. with the new engine from VSL. /or the old VSL performance tool by using the portamento str. sample I use here also Gigastudio 3 for VSL sample playback with slightly adding the "Kirk Hunter" str. lib. and of course GPO str lib.....for fine design..& backround..

Or a second treatment will be...the large Garritan str. orch. lib. with the "Maestro Tools" this lib. maybe reproduce an same effect on the str. like this.

That's to the soundaspect. A final word here... the "portamento str." you surely know that.. is the most difficult thing to reproduce and the most interesting effect in producing an authentic impression to the listener in the virtual rendering of music scores....in my opinion..

Regarding Vibrato... I always mix a solo violin with strong vibrato or 2 solo vlns with strong vibrato into the the first intervall of the voicing.. or lead line ..to give here a push and polish on realism.

Salut
    JL

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    I would like to know which controller, at what moment, and at what value, was used for the portamento.

I would like to see if this can be replicated in Finale.

I would need to create expressions in Finale that are assigned to the various controllers, and I would need to know where to place them for playback - before the note? after the note?

does polyphony need to be set to "1" for violins to react this way?

Jaques,
    I agree with David,

very nice work again, but when I do portamento OK, (portamenti)
    I almost always use fader automation and modwheel data to cut a "V" in that data to lower the dynamics during the portamenti.

This, I believe is what David and I are hearing.
    And yes, GOS and the amazing Maestro tools along with the proper slides tool box is an incredible set of tools.

Again, I love your taste, you gotta love that bass clarient.

Dan

Jaques, a very cool sound. You were right when you said it was short, by the time I got done taking a sip from my coffee, it was over. I know you just experimenting to get a realistic sound, but I would like to hear this developed. Nice job.
    -Jay

Jacques:

Interesting sound and so 50-ish. I though the slides were very well done, but the other professional comments probably could make this even more "real."

Great work, Jacques.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum