• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Garritan Christmas CD special bonus track

Share/Bookmark

Garritan Christmas CD special bonus track

Here's a thought.

Someone could compose a Christmas carol and post an MP3 of the accompaniment together with an SATB score.

Each person would pick a part (S, A, T or B) and make a 320 kbps MP3 (good enough quality for single parts, but small enough to email) of their own voice singing their chosen part. Of course they would all have to be in exact sync with the MP3 accompaniment. Then each person emails in their vocal track to the organizer.

The organizer then puts all the vocal parts together in their DAW and there you have it -- the Garritan Christmas CD special bonus track!

Just a thought.
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

Re: Garritan Christmas CD special bonus track

Good idea...except Gary will need a disclaimer on the disc stating that his company shall not be held responsible for any bleeding from the ears.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Or maybe a well-known carol with everyone singing in unison?
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

I have something that could work. I did a version of "The Angel's Song" for SATB choir. If there's any interest in doing this, I could be persuaded to put up an MP3 of a voice/piano version so people could get an idea of the song.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

LOl. bleeding from the ears.

Whlle i find the prospect of me singing on a recording to be very frightful, i think this is a great idea... for the ones that can sing.

A technical note, if this fun idea actually happens - There's no need to limit the quality of the final mix by using MP3s of the vocals. I know the idea was that MP3s can be sent by mail, but there's no need to do it that way.

I've done several collaboratons online, and it has worked extremely smoothly. We keep everything in 24 bit .wav format, sharing files through Box, the same site many of us use to post music in The Listening Room.

As long as each person's contribution is the full length of the project, timing should be digitally perfect in each person's software.

--And to be realistic, we must of course keep in mind that Christmas CD organizer DPDAN and Gary Garritan make the decisions about what will actually end up on the CD. Right now, if we look at the last update of the Christmas CD thread, so many people have signed up that a 2 or 3 CD set could be made if all entries were used. But they won't be - The list will end up drastically whittled down.

BUT - interesting idea, to have a vocal worked out this way!
    The same idea could be pursued for a Garritan instrumental, with different people contributing different instrument lines.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

This would be fun to do, whether the track made the cut or not. I also like Randy's idea of using a file host to upload full-quality WAVs, although I really don't have $25 to spend for Box registration...

Hi, David

Box doesn't cost $25 to register. It's $5 a month for huge storage. The free accounts have a size limit on files, I forget the size--10 megs maybe? But for something like this, I imagine that any of us with Box accounts would allow the use of their space.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

If needed, I could set up a small site just for people to upload their submissions to. I already have the codebase from another project I'm working on that I can easily adapt to suit this need.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

This would be fun, and I would be glad to mix the sucker.

It was nice of Dan Powers to offer his original tune, but I think a real well known Christmas carol would be more ideal for all involved.
    Does everyone realize the likliness that this recording will be all men?

Perhaps David Maddox will offer one of his wonderful arrangements from his CD "An Evening In December"

David?
    Bueller? Bueller?
    Maddox? Maddox?
    If we all decide to do this, we can use usendit.com for large wav files.
    Somebody take my pulse, I'm out of my mind.
    Dan

Go Back to forum