• Register
  • Help

Topic: Garritan at NAMM?

Share/Bookmark

Question Garritan at NAMM?

Is Gary attending NAMM? I've not seen anything about him attending or making any announcements.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Re: Garritan at NAMM?

Hi Kevin,

I will not be at Summer NAMM this year but will be represented by various partners. We are focusing on getting new products out and will be at the Winter NAMM and our usual slate of winter shows. I hope it turns out to be a good show for all who attend.

Gary Garritan

Arrow Re: Garritan at NAMM?

Hey Gary,
    That makes complete sense to me given the number of products you will have coming out in the near future. Given the insane schedule you normally have during NAMM I think it is a good thing you are not going. A relapse of pnemonia (sp?) would be bad!

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

It's been reported that NAMM is going to be returning to Nashville next year.

From what I hear the attendance at Summer NAMM been very light. But at least spirits are high.
    One report from Musical Merchandise Review wites: "‘Hey, quit complainin’," said Hal Leonard’s Larry Morton on the misty Austin streets outside the convention center on Thursday afternoon. "Let’s make the most of it."

Unseasonably cool and rainy weather, TVs sounding the siren of falling stock prices, and even a fire at nearby building that billowed smoke toward the convention center, did little to dampen the spirit of those who gathered on the eve of the 2007 Summer NAMM show....

"I’m glad it’s this way," said Nebraska’s Dietze Music partner Ted Eschliman in reference to the smaller show this year. In shorts and Hawaiian shirt sipping on a Lone Star in The Hang before the band started to play, He added, "All the big manufacturer are like, ‘here’s our new echo effect -- now go away’ while all the smaller guys who have nothing to lose really want our attention — and we have the time to look."

"Everyone is complaining about the changing market, about how things aren’t what they used to be," adds partner Tim Pratt. "I say bring on the change. But I’m the guy that moves my office across the hall just for the sake of change!"

While the convention itself may or may not be anything to shout about before it’s over, the watchword on the day before showtime was "quality over quantity," "getting to spend real time and doing real business" and "it is what it is."
    The latest NAMM 2007 Global Report on the music industry ranked Industry Sales Gains and Declines over 2006. The product category that suffered the biggest decklines - with a negative growth of minus 20.30% -- is Karaoke products!

Perhaps there is hope for the music industry!

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    It's been reported that NAMM is going to be returning to Nashville next year.
    I'm not in the least surprised. Summer NAMM was in Nashville for about twelve years, and the official reason that it left was that Summer NAMM had grown too large to fit in Nashiville's convention center and nearby basketball arena. When NAMM found out that the Nashville convention bureau had no plans to expand and add more space, they decided to move Summer NAMM to another city.

Now there have been two (three?) Summer NAMMs in other cities. The result has been that attendance has dwindled, and Summer NAMM is renting out substantially fewer booths than they did in Nashville. People like Nashville, darn it!

So if NAMM returns (which I really hope for, since I live nearby in Atlanta), hopefully they'll see the numbers go back up as they try to figure out how to shoehorn more booths into the space available. A probable result will be that rental fees go up, making it more expensive for small companies to exhibit.

But, darn it, Nashville is Music City and there is a great deal of business to be conducted there. Plus there are dozens of world-class recording studios just blocks up the hill from the Nashville Convention Center, and lots of exhibitors take advantage of this by displaying their wares in studio open house arrangements, where it's possible for people to get their hands on the gear and use it outside of the convention floor chaos.

So I say bully for Nashville, and I hope to see you all there next summer.
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Music Copyist in Sibelius
    Apple MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    Apple Certified Support Professional. I also work with Windows.

Go Back to forum