• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: CHARLIE OSCAR'S TANGO (Ray's Jazz Quintet)

Share/Bookmark

CHARLIE OSCAR'S TANGO (Ray's Jazz Quintet)

Track #6

CHARLIE OSCAR'S TANGO

The piano player brought his accordion to the studio so this jam session was added to the album.......Avoiding Music Theory

Re: CHARLIE OSCAR'S TANGO (Ray's Jazz Quintet)

And Ray's Jazz Quintet continues along its merry, eclectic way, sounding great as always. Rumor has it that records are being broken for pre-release sales at Amazon, and DJs world-wide are chomping at the bit to be among the first to spin the unique grooves provided by Ray in Stirling.

I love hearing the JABB accordion, it's an excellent sampled instrument. Despite complaints that it lends an out-of-key sound to tracks where it shares space with other Garritan instruments, I think it's been accurately pointed out recently here on the Forums that real-life accordions are always slightly out of tune with themselves--hence part of their unusual sound.

Thank ye Ray for another very fun track. Here's a Tango post card from 1919 that I Googled up for the occasion.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Must listen to it later, now I am not getting through (busy lines?).

Raymond

Almost two hours later I enjoyed the Tango. What happens when other instrumentalists bring other instruments (like your pianist did)?

Really a good piece of music, thanks.

Raymond

This one sounds pretty fine tuned. Altiverb sure positions the instruments well for a realistic sound.

My paternal grandfather's name was Oscar.

I enjoyed it.

Such a wide range of musical styles Ray in all your pieces!

I really want that Altiverb!

Another successful piece, and you have managed to make them all feel like part of an album, which is no mean feat with so many different textures and feels.

Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-

I love hearing the JABB accordion, it's an excellent sampled instrument. Despite complaints that it lends an out-of-key sound to tracks where it shares space with other Garritan instruments, I think it's been accurately pointed out recently here on the Forums that real-life accordions are always slightly out of tune with themselves--hence part of their unusual sound.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Randy,

What use would a tuned accordion be to the world? No use!
    Glad you liked it.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62
    Almost two hours later I enjoyed the Tango. What happens when other instrumentalists bring other instruments (like your pianist did)?

Really a good piece of music, thanks.

Raymond
    You've got me thinking now Raymond,
    What second instruments are the rest of the combo useful on.
    the drummer may play vibes? The guitarist may play drums. he might as well because he ain't much of a guitarist strumming quietly in the background.
    We'll see!!!!!

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane
    This one sounds pretty fine tuned. Altiverb sure positions the instruments well for a realistic sound.

My paternal grandfather's name was Oscar.

I enjoyed it.
    Hi Phil, was your grandfather a radio ham too!
    I am and that's why the phonetic alphabet got into this track.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by AlanPerkins
    Such a wide range of musical styles Ray in all your pieces!

I really want that Altiverb!

Another successful piece, and you have managed to make them all feel like part of an album, which is no mean feat with so many different textures and feels.

Well done.
    Alan,

Thanks for listening again, and for the kind words and, a question that I'll answer here for both you and Phil.
    Altiverb is not a big player in the mix on these jazz combo tracks I've been working on. Yes! it is a very good clean tailed reverb but on these tracks it has been used simply as a FX channel effect using a single positioned mic speaker setup. The panning and positioning of the instruments in the mix has been done by other means. Each instument is eq'd, compressed/limited by what I considered the right amount to give them their space in the mix. These effects, especially compression have to be used subtly as to not audibly interfere with dynamics etc. If you want more info on this please don't hesitate to ask.

Ray

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast