• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: JABB = GPO Performance Patches Full Kontakt2 Not Required

Share/Bookmark

JABB = GPO Performance Patches Full Kontakt2 Not Required

Jazz & Big Band - Personal Orchestra Performance Patches now fully playable in the Kontakt Player 2 version 2.2.3 are available at

Mike's K2 Scripts

The goal of the patches is to provide a virtual live musician playing the JABB / GPO samples. The provided controls are the mechanism for instructing this virtual musician how a phrase or passage should be interpreted.

To this end the patches dynamically generate all midi continuous controller values the instrument responds to based on user-defined settings. The scripts enable definable parameter driven legato and slur articulations with portamento, volume, intonation and timbre variations, natural sounding vibrato and various effects including breath and string noise and various pitch bend effects. The Patches also provide easy access to the sound shaping parameters of the instruments adding Convolution Reverb and Stereo modeling to the instruments.

Demo mp3's are available at the above link

Comments, criticism, suggestions and general feedback are always welcome

Mike

Re: JABB = GPO Performance Patches Full Kontakt2 Not Required

Hey Mike,

Great idea! I found a couple of the JABB demos in particular to be very impressive.

The GPO demo... I'll have to try out both patches to see, but I thought the velocity and/or modulation changes were a bit erratic, and more distracting than beneficial to the music as a whole.

However, you've got a great start on these, and I look forward to listening to more of what can be produced by using the patches!

Best of luck,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Guinness
    Hey Mike,

Great idea! I found a couple of the JABB demos in particular to be very impressive.

The GPO demo... I'll have to try out both patches to see, but I thought the velocity and/or modulation changes were a bit erratic, and more distracting than beneficial to the music as a whole.

However, you've got a great start on these, and I look forward to listening to more of what can be produced by using the patches!

Best of luck,
    David
    David,

Thanks for the feedback - The phrasing engine is shared between the GPO & JABB patches and is fully configurable - Seven phrasing styles are available along with the range of variation and can be selected via midi cc so you're not locked into one style for a piece. Also adding Modwheel turns off the phrase automation using modwheel and velocity from the midi stream until a 0 modwheel value. So You're preference for a smother rendering of the Mozart piece should be achievable.

Mike

Excellent. Thanks for the info, Mike!

Best,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Music
    I just came across these and when reading the info I notice you did these with Band in a Box. I think if more people realise this it might boost your downloads (and maybe money) cause getting BIAB to expressivly playback horns with JABB has been pretty much impossible. Also not to put down the JABB drums which are great, but the new "real drum recordings with the latest BIAB update really are pretty nice and to me sound alot better than sequenced drum tracks.

I notice you have a patch for the JABB brush kit, does it also do the brush stir thing which I haven't quite figured out yet (mod wheel is it to change direction)?

I just downloaded your stuff and I'm going to load up BIAB and JABB and give these things a try, this could be REALLY a hot item for us jazz students who need playalongs that either arent in the Aebersold catalog, or as I often like, aren't in tempos I'm ready to practice at.

You may have a huge market for this, I would even recommend talking with Gary and with the BIAB people (I know they are in contact) cause I know they are looking for ways to better intigrate the two programs and I think you may have JUST hit the nail on the head.

Ok... time to play.... I'll post some reactions and demo's this afternoon (if all goes well).

BEST of luck with this,
    Tom
    Tom,

Thanks for your kind words, The patches are also posted on the BIAB Forum but thanks for mentioning BIABs use here I didn't think of it but there probably are a number of BIAB / Garritan users that don't visit PG Musics forum.

I haven't played with the real Drums yet, but my problem with them is I'm not in love with the drum styles. The drums on all the demos are JABB but with rewritten drum styles. Yes the Brush Patch handles the stirs but the BIAB styles have to be altered due to the mapping and the way the JABB brush kit handles the stirs.

I agree the combination of JABB & BIAB is a marriage made in heaven and their combined use was a major motivation for the creation of the patches. Also made demo creation very easy since my keyboard skills are near non-existant. The big plus with these patches is that Full Kontakt is no longer required. I would welcome any conversation with Gary and the BIAB folks.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by David Guinness
    Excellent. Thanks for the info, Mike!

Best,
    David
    Glad to have helped

Mike

I notice you have a patch for the JABB brush kit, does it also do the brush stir thing which I haven't quite figured out yet (mod wheel is it to change direction)?
    Not to sidetrack this thread (I want to thank Mike for putting in all this work!) but if you don't understand the brush stirs then see the tutorial here: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=40276

And, no, mod wheel does not control direction change - Aftertouch does. Read the tutorial for more details.

Mike, I'll try to examine your work as soon as I get a break here. It sounds like you have done many of the things I'd hoped we would get around to one day.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Not to sidetrack this thread (I want to thank Mike for putting in all this work!) but if you don't understand the brush stirs then see the tutorial here: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=40276

And, no, mod wheel does not control direction change - Aftertouch does. Read the tutorial for more details.

Mike, I'll try to examine your work as soon as I get a break here. It sounds like you have done many of the things I'd hoped we would get around to one day.

Tom
    Tom,

Eagerly awaiting your comments

and thanks for all the programming you put into these instruments making the job of the performance scripts infinetly easier.

Unfortunately still no aftertouch support in the K2 scripts so all aftertouch for vibrato & brush stirs had to be changed to midi cc77.

Mike

Mike,

I listened to all the demos again and they are just outstanding. These Performance patches act as a handy interpreter. Performance characteristics are hard to program and you have done remarkable work. This is a brilliant undertaking.

If you don't mind I would like to send this along to the folks at PG Music. Also, I asked Tom to contact you and to delve into these Performance scripts further.

Thanks again for posting these.

Gary Garritan

You have to play with the real drums... they are 1000% better than the midi drum creations even routed to a great drum library. I've played a little bit with your scripts so far and I have to say I'm really impressed. I might request a more detailed documentation but I think I can figure it all out by just twisting the knobs and listening.

My one request would be to add a guitar, the electric piano (just port the regular piano), and what would really be nice is one of the full string patches. I've tried it using just the solo strings but it's not quite the same on the string pad things.

I think you could take this ALOT farther. I didn't load this into full K2 yet so I dont know if the scripts are locked, but could you apply them to ALL the trumpets and bones and saxes? Cause I think I understood that you based these on the notation instruments, so with the built in HP in Finale this could add just another layer of realism that HP isn't able to add. With HP doing the dynamics and articulations, and your scripts adding stuff like breath and vibrato, MAN you have a winner.

The other Tom
    Tom,

Thanks for the favorable words, I am planning a hints type of documentation around the phrasing screen's controls - knowing that folks are actually looking at the documentation is good motivation to get this done.

This first wave of patches are of the instruments I favor, adding the lions share of the rest of both the JABB & GPO instruments is readily doable. This includes the electric piano and electric basses. The quitars and string ensembles require a little more work but they are planned. I'm also working on scripts for the plunger mutes and timpini.

If a modwheel message > 0 is received the scripts use the modwheel & velocity from the midi stream. The portamento, vibrato, intonation variations and effects will still occur, so theoretically the scripts should be able to co-exist & compliment Finale's HP. I have Finale 2006-2007 but haven't had time to test this out.

As for real drums, I think the problem is being a drummer I'll probably only be satisfied when the drums are played the way I would play them - real or midi. The sound of the JABB drums are very close to my set, but if Gary's listening a few more vintage K Zildjian 18", 20" & 22" cymbal samples would be welcome.

Mike

Go Back to forum