• Register
  • Help

Topic: New Jazz tune...

New Jazz tune...

Here's an original tune called T's Blues, with a combination of JABB and live instruments. The saxophones (tenor and baritone) are real-I played 'em. The drums are also recorded-the rest of the instruments (piano, bass, trumpet) are JABB. This tune was written for a friend of mine. Any comments are appreciated!

Re: New Jazz tune...

Hello Mark

this is very cool, and also an interesting mix. I like it!

My Best

"Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

hi Marc, I was about to write a comment on how real the saxes sounded, when I realized they were real! They sound a bit too reverberated, though, don't know if you actually recorded them far from the mike or if you added the reverb later on... dry them a bit and the mix is ok. Other than that, nice shuffled blues, maybe you could work on the drum track to add some variation here and there...

Hi, Saxmarc!

Great to see you back with more tunes for us. I'm glad that on your Box page "Moondance" and "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" were listed there also, reminding me (us) that those are things we heard here awhile back fom you and also enjoyed.

What a great project - a combo of real-world and the virtual. The tune and arrangement are really nice. I got such a charge out of hearing some solid, straight ahead Jazz done so well here in The Listening Room. Yeeeah!

Roberto gave you some good feedback which I'll chime in with agreement. The reverb is So predominant. The effect is that I'm listening from the last seat in the back of the Jazz club. Perhaps your intention? But I wanna sit closer--let me!

There was some discrepency in the use of reverb also--a separate issue. The Piano is Much dryer than the brass or drums - as if the Pianist is somehow right in front of me while the rest of the band is hanging back by at least 20 feet--are they shy?

So I agree that if you could dial that reverb back, your mix would be more happening.

Nice track though--thanks for it!

Randy B.

Really good comping with the rhythm section. Agree that the saxes are too reverbed, but everything swings just great. Great job on incorporating live instruments with sampled sounds.

Keep movin' out, Marc. Enjoyed this.........

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Hey, this is good, great, awesome and swinging.
    Maybe the saxes a bit more in the foreground, but I really like this.

Thank you everyone for your comments. I agree, the saxes are too wet-I guess I got carried away by the reverb-I'll have to work on that.

I really appreciate those that take the time to respond and let me know what they think of these tracks.

Sorry it took me a while to respond-Monsoon thunderstorms knocked out internet access for a while!

Great chart, Marc, much enjoyed this adept and well
    executed shuffle... really clean, and well thought out.
    Hot sax work, too.

On rendering, I'd agree with Roberto Soggetti's comments;
    particularly the percussion.

Much enjoyed this one... keep 'em coming!

My best,

Yeovil, Somerset

Talking Re: New Jazz tune...

WOW great tune, exellent sax playing, amazing bass line, jazzy drums
    GREAT WORK!!!!!!

Go Back to forum