• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Cuyahoga Centenial March

Share/Bookmark

Cuyahoga Centenial March

With the soon approaching Bi-Centenial celebration of Cleveland (2010). I thought it would be nice to hear what was written 100 years ago for the Cuyahoga Centenial. This is a Brass Sextet arrangement of the march written by H. Beringer in 1910 for that celebration.

Cuyahoga Centenial March

I hope you enjoy the trip into the past.

If anyone has any more information on H. Beringer or this march, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Ok, rbowser said that the reverb was bad, and he was right. So here is the same piece with the use of the Garritan Ambience Control with the settings I listed in a later post here in this thread.

Cuyahoga Centenial March with Reverb

I think you can hear the difference.
    Last edited by wrayer; 07-31-2007 at 08:31 AM. Reason: New Version
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Cuyahoga Centenial March

Hi, Bill

What a great project this is, recreating the 1910 Cleveland Centenial march by Beringer.

"...I hope you enjoy the trip into the past..."

I certainly did! And this is the perfect time of year for an old-fashioned piece like this - Visions of a Brass Band playing in the Gazebo Band-stand in the park while we sip our lemonade, flip our Palm-frond fans, and tap our feet. Nice.

The recording is very ambient (reverberant) but I decided that's because it's reaching across time from a century ago!

Thanks for the wonderful time.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    The recording is very ambient (reverberant) but I decided that's because it's reaching across time from a century ago!

Thanks for the wonderful time.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Hi Randy,

Well, I didn't do much with it. Just recorded straight from Finale. I am under a time restraint because we play it tomorrow at an 'old fashioned' gazebo for an 'in-the-park' concert. I am sure the ambience settings will be just perfect for our brass sextet (well, at least if it doesn't rain - those under water performances do come out quite muddy!)

Thanks for listening.

Challenge #10 Winner

Very nice, Bill! I enjoyed the listening.

I only would play the "ta"-notes a little bit shorter... .

Ta-notes? Hum-ta-hum-ta-hum-ta...

Best

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist
    Very nice, Bill! I enjoyed the listening.

I only would play the "ta"-notes a little bit shorter... .

Ta-notes? Hum-ta-hum-ta-hum-ta...

Best

Gunther
    Ah, my horn players will. It is such a typical tuba and horn line - it's kind of ingrained.

Challenge #10 Winner

Hi, Bill - That's great, a performance in a Gazebo, just as I was picturing it. What fun!

About the large amount of reverb on the recording, you said that you--:

"...Just recorded straight from Finale..."

Really! - I get so confused about notation programs. Another member here has the opposite problem of never having enough if Any reverb on his renderings--and he said it's because he works in Finale and doesn't understand exactly what to do with the reverb.

So you must have some default reverb setting for your output? It isn't easily adjusted? --and etc---?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Really! - I get so confused about notation programs. Another member here has the opposite problem of never having enough if Any reverb on his renderings--and he said it's because he works in Finale and doesn't understand exactly what to do with the reverb.

So you must have some default reverb setting for your output? It isn't easily adjusted? --and etc---?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    I used the default settings Garritan's Ambience Reverb. They are a bit high and I should have tweaked them, but I am lazy.

Challenge #10 Winner

Wow, what an incredible rendering! For a bit I thought it was a live recording from an old styled record player. Maybe you could add some "pops" and "hiss" to the recording. A great rendition here; although I thought it could use a little more emphasis on some notes - but all in all a job well done and definitely a trip to the past. Thank you.

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Hey there, Bill

Thanks for responding to my question when I asked what you meant by just having "recorded this through Finale "- In your reply you said:

"...I used the default settings Garritan's Ambience Reverb..."

OK, but there Aren't any default settings in Garritan Ambience -- ! Not any defaults which are intended to be actually used, at any rate. - ! - Like any reverb, when you dial up a setting, it gives you 100% wet and 0% dry signal. But no recording is intended to use that exactly as is, unless for a special effect.

100% effect is like having your gas pedal pressed to the floor board non-stop, speeding along at 120 MPH - You're supposed to use that gas pedal in smaller percentages of the full potential range of the pedal.

If you're using any kind of mixer, then a percentage of that 100% wet signal is what's added to the mix. The percentage can be quite low, just enough so that the sound starts to breath and feel like it's in an actual space and not just cyber dead-air space.

Your answer actually was a revelation to me - I believe this has to be why So many notation renderings I hear are impossibly wet, which makes them sound like they're at the bottom of the Grand Canyon, or that the music is being heard from the Lobby of an Opera House, instead of from a nice seat inside the auditorium.

If you don't have a way or the will to add reverb sends in your mixer which controls the amount of reverb added to a signal, then you Must--MUST Muuusssst change the sliders in the Ambience plugin itself--change the settings so that it's like around 80% dry and 20% wet.

It's really not super complicated, but it seems to not be something as intuitive in notation programs as it is in a straight ahead audio recording program--But one adds a reverb unit (which always defaults to 100% wet) and then with Send pots on the audio channel, you dial in how much of that reverb you want added to a signal.

For the sake of your music, I hope you get a better understanding of how to do this in Finale.

Thanks again for the reply. - I'm all emotional now about this ambience problem!!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor
    Wow, what an incredible rendering! For a bit I thought it was a live recording from an old styled record player. Maybe you could add some "pops" and "hiss" to the recording. A great rendition here; although I thought it could use a little more emphasis on some notes - but all in all a job well done and definitely a trip to the past. Thank you.

Michael
    Thanks Michael for listening.

Yes the old 'pop and hiss' of an old record would certainly authenticate it. Of course back then it would have been record on a roll or round recording tube. My grandfather used to have an old record player that could record on vinyl. Weren't those the days?

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast