• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Vienna Instruments Appassionata Strings- Opinions?

Share/Bookmark

Vienna Instruments Appassionata Strings- Opinions?

I am seriously considering Appassionata Strings, but wanted to know if anyone else on this forum has purchased them and what they think. I need a very large and lush sounding string section for a piece I am working on and my current string libs (EWQLSO Platinum & KH VSPro) while both excellent, just are not giving me quite the sound I am after. I will be employing many real string players for other pieces in my project, but this particuular piece would require so many string players that perhaps Appassionata Strings and a smaller real performance layered over them would do the trick and not break my bank account.

Thanks!

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

Re: Vienna Instruments Appassionata Strings- Opinions?

I just recieved Appassionata strings the other day....
    I was BLOWN AWAY by the realism and expressiveness in these instruments!
    These are by far the most realisic sounding sampled strings I have ever heard-especially when playing legato-this is where the appassionata strings really sing.
    If you want a small, chamber-orchestra type sound, look elsewhere.
    But if you want a very big, very full, very lush, film-style string orchestra sound, these are probably the strings for you.
    If I could describe them based on a sound that many of you would be familiar with, I would say they sound most like the big string ensembles in soundtracks like Angela's ashes, Legends of the fall, the Seven years in Tibet theme, Anakin's theme from Phantom menace...and many more.
    They do a very good job of capturing those big pulsating string swells that Williams often uses.

Bear in mind, some of this might just by my opinion mixed with a little hype, but I must say my expectations were certainly exceeded by this product.
    Of course, the sound quality of any library will improve as you learn the strengths and weaknesses of the product...but even so these strings sounded great out of the box!

Kudos to VSL...This is my first purchase from them and I am sure it will not be the last.

I just finished a score with Appassionata last night. Here, you can hear it in an action piece with lots of fast, staccato arpeggios. I'm not doing big romantic sweeps, but you can hear their depth and density under the brass.

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...419#post510419

Appassionata has its limitations (relatively small articulation set, could use more velocity layers), but it's the very best available when you want the sound of BIG string sections.

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    I just finished a score with Appassionata last night. Here, you can hear it in an action piece with lots of fast, staccato arpeggios. I'm not doing big romantic sweeps, but you can hear their depth and density under the brass.

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...419#post510419

Appassionata has its limitations (relatively small articulation set, could use more velocity layers), but it's the very best available when you want the sound of BIG string sections.
    I though there were 4 velocity layers in App.? Did i get this wrong? Also heard there were 4 vel layer for legatos, is that true?

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo001
    I though there were 4 velocity layers in App.? Did i get this wrong? Also heard there were 4 vel layer for legatos, is that true?
    The Extended lib has four layers. The Standard lib (which I own) has (I think*) only two.

* Because the content is locked to the VSL player, it's not easy to browse the content and programming.

Hi quantum7,

I'm also thinking about adding "Appassionata Strings", the extended edition. Here are a few questions I would like to add to this topic... (hopefully we can get some more feedback from other "App. Strings" users !)

The mp3 demos on the VSL website sound pretty good, especially for creating nicely flowing legato large section string lines. (I'm sure the WAV, or AIFF versions with more time spent on mastering should sound much better than the posted mp3 demos).

Another point I would like to bring forth, and that is since (App. Strings) has many other articulations, besides the legato strings, which could be used for fast paced string lines (Marc., Det., Spic., Trem.,....etc.). I think it can serve as a quite diverse string library for achieving more of a lush, full sounding string section sound. Great for movie/soundtrack/trailer, and other applications, for both the romantic/lyrical/syrupy strings, and the more fast action/dynmic/animated string application.

Some additional feedback from "Appassionata Strings" users about how they like the library, from both a 'Quality of Timbre' perspective, and diversity of applications it can be used in would be great.

Finally, some additional "App. Strings" demos that show off its broader articulation would also be very helpful in making the decision to go ahead with purchasing it.

Thanks.

Here is a short review of "App. Strings" by SOS magazine..

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may0...eshop_0507.htm

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    The Extended lib has four layers. The Standard lib (which I own) has (I think*) only two.

* Because the content is locked to the VSL player, it's not easy to browse the content and programming.
    AFAIK the 4 velocities are not actually 4 legato velocities, but rather the two-layer legato crossfaded into the sustain patch. I'm 100% (more like 98%), but that is how they acheive more layers on other collections. I assume it's the same here.

Links about Appassionat Strings

Hello Quantum7
    Here are some links to Appassionata Demos

Melting Waltz (an other Version than in the Clip) (mp3)
    Appassionata Demos (link to the VSL Demos)
    Appassionata Articulation Clip (wmv-clip)

Marvellous Strings!!!
    But keep in mind that the Appassionata Strings have a small Double Bass content.
    ...I can confirm: There are 4 Legato-levels.

All the best
    Beat Kaufmann

I was instantly blown away by the Appassionata Strings. In 1 day they became my default replacement for Sonic Implant strings! They're incredibly expressive.. I think I'm most impressed with the violas, which instead of sounding tinny & harsh like violas often do in sample libraries, are thick and lush: the stuff that filmscore viola parts of made of. Just splurge and buy the set -- you won't be sorry.

Kerry

Go Back to forum