• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO used in a Film Demo Reel

Share/Bookmark

GPO used in a Film Demo Reel

Hi All -

I have just completed filming, editing, and composing the music for a friend's film demo reel. There's not a lot of music in it, but it was nice to use GPO for something other than as a hobby .

http://www.michaelfortunato.com/tammyreel/TammyReel.mov

NOTE: I'm still struggling with audio and video compression on this. I'm not used to MOV file format so I haven't figured out the best quality yet.

NOTE 02: The idiot who gets his face slapped is me

Instruments used:
    Steinway Piano
    Chromatic Harp 2
    Percussion
    Percussion Toys
    Cello 1 KS
    Viola 1 KS

Non GPO: Cakewalk's Session Drummer 2
    -----------------------------
    - Michael Fortunato

Re: GPO used in a Film Demo Reel

Hey, Michael - This sure is a fun change of pace for us here at The Listening Room. You did a nice job!--Pretty girl, talented, and I hope your supporting work of doing the video helps her out in her career!

Nice use of GPO too!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Hi Michael,

I don’t know much about this type of demo film, but I think your friend is very talented.

The little bits of music you wrote for this added a lot. Very well done.
    Trent P. McDonald

Thanks Trent and Randy! Now if I can just come to grips with Quicktime's compression so it doesn't look so blurry - of course, that's a topic for another forum .

- Michael
    - Michael Fortunato

Hey Michael, good work here! Really liked the piano part especially! Did you use any other percussion software for the fight scene or was it just GPO?

Well done!

Ben

I might want to have heard Tyco drums over Kettle in the fight scene. I think they are a little more dramatic.
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

Quote Originally Posted by BenNichols
    Hey Michael, good work here! Really liked the piano part especially! Did you use any other percussion software for the fight scene or was it just GPO?

Well done!

Ben
    Thank you, Ben.

For the Martial Arts scene, the drums were almost exclusively GPO. However, I used Cakewalk's Session Drummer 2 to fill in a few of them.

For the Montage sequence, the drums were all Cakewalk's Session Drummer 2.

- Michael
    - Michael Fortunato

Quote Originally Posted by schneb
    I might want to have heard Tyco drums over Kettle in the fight scene. I think they are a little more dramatic.
    Thank you, Schneb. I don't know anything about percussion nor about drum-types, but I am going to read up on the differences between a Tyco and Kettle drum I can quickly and easily substitue one for the other if it indeed would add to the piece.

Thanks again.
    - Michael
    - Michael Fortunato

The fight scene is very Asian, and hence a need for ethnic instrumentation. I believe it is a bamboo or Koto flute used to increase the drama of such scenes in movies.

The Tyco drums have a very dramatic and ethnic sound. It's been a long time, but this may be a good time to take out the "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" DVD and listen to the soundtrack. I believe (from memory) that both instruments are used within the fight scene tracks.
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

Michael:

Glad to see you involved in scoring for films. I'm sure if you did this 5 times for the same cues, you would probably come up with some different ideas. It should be that way to see what is the "best" of the best.

A good beginning with what you did and I'm sure you enjoyed it as much as we have.

Keep working at this, Michael.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast