• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Getting the most out of Kontakt2

Share/Bookmark

Getting the most out of Kontakt2

I have been making music on a computer based system for years. I always try to stay current with the technology and the new systems for processing audio... Well, sometimes I'll buy expensive software, but never realize it's full potential.

With Kontakt 2 (which I just bought), how can utilize it to get the most from it? Is it more than a sampler? What should I expect?

Re: Getting the most out of Kontakt2

Kontakt besides just playing your samples comes with a wide variety of effects and processors, and the ability to further program a wide variety of extra paramaters in your samples with its scripting function.

Theres lots to learn with Kontakt. I recommend you get the tutorial DVD from NI. It has lots of good lessons in it, that you'll struggle to get out of the manual. I also think its a hearty rip-off, at around $50.The DVD should come with the program, cos its frankly indispensable. But its not free, so there ya go. Buy this, go through the lessons and ask about specifics here to your hearts content.

Good luck!

Agree with everything gesticulator said, including that the NI tutorial video should be included with the program. Because how else are you going to find out about all the really deep features this beast has, unless you use this, or David Das' book. The included manual is sketchy at best....

The DVD tutorial has helped me a lot too.

Quote Originally Posted by jrjnsn
    Because how else are you going to find out about all the really deep features this beast has
    Read the Manual, take existing instruments apart and analyze them and above all: experiment.
    You can get quite far this way.

Can you make and compile your own instruments with Kontakt 2 like you can with Gigastudio? I assume you can but then I think all those instruments released with the Kompakt player were custom programmed for clients by NI.

Quote Originally Posted by js33
    Can you make and compile your own instruments with Kontakt 2 like you can with Gigastudio?
    Of course you can. That's the whole point with K2.
    I assume you can but then I think all those instruments released with the Kompakt player were custom programmed for clients by NI.
    Actually, they were programmed by the library developers and transfered (encoded) to the player by NI.

Why aren't there any online tutorials? I've seen them for Halion3 and EXS24mkll, but not a thing for Kontakt.

I also don't here much about the factory sounds. I thought that since the sampler was the "be all..." that the factory patches would really be something, but I haven't heard a peep, other than the NI press releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    Of course you can. That's the whole point with K2.

Actually, they were programmed by the library developers and transfered (encoded) to the player by NI.
    From what I understand you can make your own instruments but if you want to release them as a product with copy protected samples you have to get NI to do the encoding.

Perhaps this is the reason EW and Garritan are developing their own players.

From what I understand you can make your own instruments but if you want to release them as a product with copy protected samples you have to get NI to do the encoding.
    That's correct.

Go Back to forum