• Register
  • Help

Topic: Finale GPO/Konakt 2 is crashing.

Share/Bookmark

Question Finale GPO/Konakt 2 is crashing.

Hi All,

This is my first post here. I just wish I had something happy to post about instead of this problem. I posted about this over at the make music forum earlier today, but didn't seem to get any constructive help with my issue. Due to some problems with one of my computer harddrives recently, I had to clean re-install Windows XP onto my computer once the harddrive was returned to factory specs with a Low level formatter, and prepared for use.

I reinstalled Finale 2007, and the software activated normally. For the most part - the program works great... except for the where it concerns my using the GPO/Konakt 2 Player.

If for example - I play a file I'm working on - using [checked] "Play Finale using Native Instruments VST" with [checked] Ambience Reverb enabled, Finale 2007 locks up to the point where it freeze/crashes.

This tells me something isn't installed - or set up right on my system.
    I mean -- GPO didn't work too great before I had to re-install everything I had... but now its the absolute worst its ever been. If it hadn't of been for unwittingly unchecking Ambience Reverb, and testing a file - I would have probably written off all my MUS files as corrupted junk.

They all play normally if Ambience is turned off. I would like to be able to turn the feature on, and not crash. Help me get this issue resolved please!

Thanks in Advance...

My System specs...

All Intel inside - 1.6ghz P4 CPU, 2 GB DDR Ram (2) 300GB harddrives
    Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 platinum sound card <running updated drivers)

Re: Finale GPO/Konakt 2 is crashing.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisInCa
    Help me get this issue resolved please!
    My recommendation would then be: buy a faster CPU. Ambience is a CPU hog, and if turning this off resolves the problem, then the CPU might be the problem. You can test this by lowering Ambience's Quality/CPU knob. 1.6GHz is a bit on the slow side.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    My recommendation would then be: buy a faster CPU. Ambience is a CPU hog, and if turning this off resolves the problem, then the CPU might be the problem. You can test this by lowering Ambience's Quality/CPU knob. 1.6GHz is a bit on the slow side.
    Thanks, I'll give that a go first - before buying a new PC.

UPDATE...

Thank you soooo very much... who would of thought, changing the quality/cpu settings to 50% would solve the whole problem with my playback. Its like a whole new system.

Now... all I need to know, is how can I keep this setting as a default, without having to manually configure it for every preset - or piece?
    Last edited by ChrisInCa; 07-31-2007 at 02:00 PM. Reason: *** UPDATE ***

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisInCa
    Now... all I need to know, is how can I keep this setting as a default, without having to manually configure it for every preset - or piece?
    I'm glad you found the culprit.

Short but, alas, negative answer to your question: I don't think you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    I'm glad you found the culprit.

Short but, alas, negative answer to your question: I don't think you can.
    Bummer. Actually for 4 Instruments - 50% is just great - no crashing. Any more instruments, however, and I seem to have to keep decreasing the Quality/CPU setting. As an example: I have an arrangement of WA Mozart's 46th Symphony in D and Cpu/Quality of 13% was just plain cruel to the ears. Playing it back put me in mind of an old Walter (now Wendy)Carlos / Benjamin Folkman Moog recording.

Oh well... I talked to a buddy of mine in town here today, who is a "system builder". He's going to have a look thru a pile of working motherboards w/ CPUs he's taken in trade for upgrades - for me over the weekend, and see if he can dig out a good mini ATX board with at least 3.2Ghz CPU and room for 2Gb of hi speed Flash Ram.

I was thinking of staying within the Sound Blaster family and get an Audigy soundcard, unless you or someone else would be kind enough to recomend one of better quality.

[quote=I was thinking of staying within the Sound Blaster family and get an Audigy soundcard, unless you or someone else would be kind enough to recomend one of better quality.[/quote]

I've always found the M-Audio family of soundcards to sound excellent and the drivers to be rock solid (I use a Delta-66). The prices keep coming down as well, so it might be worth checking them out.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW
    I've always found the M-Audio family of soundcards to sound excellent and the drivers to be rock solid (I use a Delta-66). The prices keep coming down as well, so it might be worth checking them out.

Chris
    Thanks for the great info Chris. As I'd been looking for a good Midi Controller for awhile now - as well, I went over to their webpage. While that Delta-66 board seems ultra-pricey, I think just about any one of their PCI Sound boards would be a good choice.

If you're looking for a MIDI controller as well it might be worth thinking about a combined USB or Firewire audio/MIDI controller - it depends on what you want in the way of a keyboard really. Keyboard magazine did an round up of controllers a few months back.

Chris

Go Back to forum