• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Nocturne in C Sharp Minor

Share/Bookmark

Nocturne in C Sharp Minor

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=716613

Nocturne in C Sharp Minor

This is a new work in progress that I started during the week ending July 29, 2007. It was inspired by the book Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I shall not discuss the details of the factors that inspired this because of "spoiler" issues. However, if you read the book and want to know the spacifics feel free to PM me.

Again, it is a work in progress and I am open to suggestions. This piece has seen a few revisons already and I am certain there are more.
    Last edited by Samantha Penigar; 07-31-2007 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Additions
    Samantha Penigar
    http://www.myspace.com/samanthapenigar

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...p?userid=13306

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

Re: Nocturne in C Sharp Minor

Samantha,

You have really captured the style of the mid-1800's nicely. There are some very beautiful passages here. My only suggestions are that there is, perhaps, too much reverb; this is according to one's taste, so I could be wrong. There are some passages in the first minute that are so quiet as to be inaudible; such a quiet dynamic level might work in concert - and might be very effective - but for an mp3, I think the level(s) will have to be brought up.

Haven't read the book, so any narrative qualities are lost on me; the fact that the piece still works without knowing the background just makes the piece stronger.

Nice job.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    Samantha,

You have really captured the style of the mid-1800's nicely. There are some very beautiful passages here. My only suggestions are that there is, perhaps, too much reverb; this is according to one's taste, so I could be wrong. There are some passages in the first minute that are so quiet as to be inaudible; such a quiet dynamic level might work in concert - and might be very effective - but for an mp3, I think the level(s) will have to be brought up.

Haven't read the book, so any narrative qualities are lost on me; the fact that the piece still works without knowing the background just makes the piece stronger.

Nice job.
    I agree about the reverb and the quiet passages. I been experimenting with the KP2 player and trying to find out what all the knobs and slides are for. Mainly the "Outputs" and Instrument Options button. I've been toggling between "Accept standard controllers for Volume and Pan.

I wanted feed back on this composition before I commit it to orchestration. Actually it is very much a rough draft of a larger work. Usually I write for all the instruments at once. This time I wanted to do a piano version first so that I would not be distracted by writing for other instruments. Although, I do think that I am think of orchestral instruments and arrangements while writing. Especially when I playback what I've written each time. I here a powerful brass and string section in the first five measures. As far as a composition goes it is like a new born. I started it about a week ago.
    Samantha Penigar

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

Samantha,

While you may eventually orchestrate this piece, it is still very effective as a solo piano work. Hey, if you can do both...so much the better!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Hi, Samantha - I got excited to see you had a piece of music posted here--such a rare occasion! And now that I've taken a listen, I sure wasn't disappointed.

I admire the work you've set for yourself, and the approach you're taking this time. You said you've been working, and will continue working, on this piano arrangement, and then will open it up into an orchestral piece. That, in a nutshell, is my way of working and I find it works well.

What I heard was a firmly somber Nocturne, interspersed with interesting and surprising episodes which momentarily throw things into other moods and keys, to be answered immediately by the ever-present main theme. The effect is perhaps of an ominous and danger-filled night with unexpected powers swooping at us but which are swept away each time by the greater power of the omnipresent night - something like that.

As the piece progressed, I wondered if perhaps a more identifiable and unique theme could be established for the main Nocturne motive. I felt that the mood and movement was there and that a haunting melody to accompany it could make it even stronger.

I couldn't ever quite get a handle on the episodic bursts, and I'm not sure if that's a problem or not. I think perhaps I was wanting those to develop a bit longer and have their own self-contained dramatic curves.

I think you're saying that the recording itself is the least of your concerns right now. The point that Ron brought up and with which you concurred, about the soft passages being too soft - I find that a legitimate comment also. The dynamic range is SO huge, I had to keep adjusting my volume knob - now too soft, now too loud. It can be tricky, but part of the challenge of mixing music is to narrow its dynamic range without robbing it of its dynamic variety.

I really appreciate you posting this work-in-progress. I wish you the best of times as you continue working on it!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

You have been busy Samantha. It does make me think of harry potter and friends. Nice job. I am looking forward to hear the final product.
    -Jay

Hi Samantha, I haven't read the book yet (my wife and daughters are all itching for me to do so so they can talk about it openly).

This piece really works for me as is.

I am thinking that a simple version with Piano and Cello only would really work well.

Great Job.

I look forward to hearing how you evolve it further.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hi, Samantha - I got excited to see you had a piece of music posted here--such a rare occasion! And now that I've taken a listen, I sure wasn't disappointed.

I admire the work you've set for yourself, and the approach you're taking this time. You said you've been working, and will continue working, on this piano arrangement, and then will open it up into an orchestral piece. That, in a nutshell, is my way of working and I find it works well.

What I heard was a firmly somber Nocturne, interspersed with interesting and surprising episodes which momentarily throw things into other moods and keys, to be answered immediately by the ever-present main theme. The effect is perhaps of an ominous and danger-filled night with unexpected powers swooping at us but which are swept away each time by the greater power of the omnipresent night - something like that.

As the piece progressed, I wondered if perhaps a more identifiable and unique theme could be established for the main Nocturne motive. I felt that the mood and movement was there and that a haunting melody to accompany it could make it even stronger.

I couldn't ever quite get a handle on the episodic bursts, and I'm not sure if that's a problem or not. I think perhaps I was wanting those to develop a bit longer and have their own self-contained dramatic curves.

I think you're saying that the recording itself is the least of your concerns right now. The point that Ron brought up and with which you concurred, about the soft passages being too soft - I find that a legitimate comment also. The dynamic range is SO huge, I had to keep adjusting my volume knob - now too soft, now too loud. It can be tricky, but part of the challenge of mixing music is to narrow its dynamic range without robbing it of its dynamic variety.

I really appreciate you posting this work-in-progress. I wish you the best of times as you continue working on it!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    I agree that there is a more haunting main theme still lurking around in the ether. This is based on chapter thirty-four, "The Forrest Again." When you read the chapter then you will know why there is a vacillation between calm and tumult.
    Samantha Penigar

Samantha,

I-for one- don't think that your piece has too much reverb. For my taste, it is perfect. What a wonderful piece this is. Great musianship and composing. I'm curious since I record my piano works by playing directly from my keyboard controller into Sonar what method you employed with this composition (I don't use notation software.)

Again, this is a wonderful beginning to something that I anxiously await further development.

Tom

Samantha,

I, also, am not a literary consumer of the Harry Potter novels, so my appreciation of your work here is strictly based on an objective hearing. I find it to be quite akin to a lot of music by Rachmaninoff. There are a lot of varying moods but they all seem to blend together quite well. I shall be interested to hear the final version.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast