• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Moment

The Moment

Hi folks! Here is another short composition that I wrote last night & sequenced today. It's a choir and strings arrangement performed by GPO & EWQL Symphonic Choirs.

The Moment

Re: The Moment

I loved it. Needless to say this really makes me want the vocal software.
    Samantha Penigar

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

Hi, Mike

It's always a treat to hear what you've been up to. This is very effective, and I loved the way I could never safely anticipate what would happen next. In its flowing, seeming simplicity, there are some very rich and interesting voicings and turns of the melody.

And the Symphonic Choir can sound pretty decent, indeed.

Thanks for this.

Randy B.

Hi folks! Thanks again for listening!

I've always had a soft spot for choir stuff. I can't really SING in a choir....just can't sit still and straight enough for long enough and enjoy it; but I love the sound of strings & choir. The combo just lends itself to cool harmonies, and expressive counterpoint in ways that other orchestrations don't.

Hi Mike,

That is some wonderful moment indeed!
    Strings and choir... just the combination to give me goosebumps... and it did!
    It also made me realize how a choir can boost up a composition.

That's some really nice writing and a good sound. I liked it except for the fact that the first fiddles were rather "screechy" pretty much all the way through. If they were written an octave lower, I believe that your sound would be better. ("Screechy" strings are my pet peeve, so consider my comments accordingly.)

Thanks for posting your fine music.

Larry G. Alexander

sunbird: Yup choir can really set the mood perfectly in a score. Brahms & Beethoven has this figured out for sure.

Larry: You're right....except that the 2nd violins are already doubling the 1st violins an octave lower. Sampled violins sound screetchy up that high. Even REAL violins sound screetchy in MP3s when playing up that high (case in point: Josh Bell in that duet with Groban -- which I mistakenly purchased on mp3 before CD.....TERRIBLE idea). The only thing that really sounds GLORIOUS up high is a Strad in 44.1khz 16bit [or better] digital audio or live. My violin prof had/has a terrific Strad. Unfortunately, I can't afford a live orchestra with vintage Italian fiddles. But as a violinist of 20+ years I'm not yet ready to surrender the top 2 octaves of my violin range.

I'm currently toying around with a touch of high-range EQ damping in the convolution reverb. That should help.

Thanks for listening folks!

Very harmonious, I really enjoyed it, beautifully done. Like Samantha, it sure makes me want vocal software.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Thank you Sean! I appreciate that.

You and Samantha should treat yourselves to vocal software for Christmas (if not before then). You deserve it. And the world will have more good music if you do.

Thanks again everybody! I'm headin' back to the studio...

Strong and able choral writing in this, Mike; and well
    executed, given my own experience with trying to make
    EWQL/SC behave well with strings... I always found
    that SC tries to eat the strings for some reason (which
    a real choir does not); and hence, forces you to push
    the balance unnaturally -- which might account for
    some of the perceived brashness in the upper strings
    in this.

Much enjoyed -- very beautiful piece, Mike!

My best,

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast