• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Topic: A thought on the listening room

Share/Bookmark

A thought on the listening room

PLEASE READ THE FIRST FOUR POSTS HERE BEFORE COMMENTING
    THIS IS NOT ABOUT MULTIPLE LISTENING ROOMS

I know there have been a few surveys carried out about the listening room and whether it needs any changes. My original thought was no! as I want to listen to all genre at any ability level. Most arguments seemed to be for or against finished or unfinished work or various genre. My thought now is to put forward the idea of a separate room for people who’s interest is realism.

There are many fine examples of compositional work presented which quite frankly don’t need the multi-sampled instruments and sections because the poster has absolutely no inclination to spend the time necessary to create a more realistic recording. That would be my idea of a dividing line between the rooms.

I propose a second listening room for those who regardless of compositional talent, genre, and musical ability wish to present the best results from Garritan samples.
    I don’t put myself up as a leader here to that end. I am never satisfied with my output, always thinking a little tweak here or there will improve my work.

There are so many possibilities with the power of these multi sample libraries as highlighted by Tom Hopkins’s tips. Yet I hear very little evidence of anyone posting in the present listening room using this advice.

If someone says so what! about there recorded output then fine, one may appreciate their compositional or transcribing efforts.

Many of you will know I have a very straight forward way of saying I think certain things in a recording could be improved. I realize if the person I speak to isn’t listening and others disagree with my comments on the grounds of the way I put them forward I’m wasting my time but rather than just say nothing I’d like to be able to discuss eq, reverb, compression etc. along with this cc does this that cc does that with examples in the postings.

In the last couple of days two replies on one of my tunes have been about the influence of AudioEase Altiverb on the finished mix, when in fact, on the series of tracks I’ve been doing Altiverb plays a very small part in the mix separation. I want to discuss such issues with people who are interested in these issues. Again, if one has no interest, fine, I wouldn’t wish to bother them. I don’t want to fall out with anybody.

Yours Sincerely

Ray
    Last edited by rayzalaf; 08-02-2007 at 05:15 AM. Reason: explanation of purpose

Re: A thought on the listening room

Sounds like a good idea to me. Are you proposing that listening room #1 stays just like it is and still called listening room, and listening room#2, called something else, would be for the persuit and discussion of highest quality audio recordings of listening rooms #1 & #2's material?

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    Sounds like a good idea to me. Are you proposing that listening room #1 stays just like it is and still called listening room, and listening room#2, called something else, would be for the persuit and discussion of highest quality audio recordings of listening rooms #1 & #2's material?
    Probably something like that.
    As I've said everyone isn't interested in the recording part of the process so I don't want to bore them with these issues.

Ray

The Mixing room?

Quote Originally Posted by tmonaghan
    The Mixing room?
    Don't mix with me mate

Yeah! something like that

The Mixing room?
    Second.
    ~Sam Ferrara~

Great idea!!

Raymond

The Mixing room?
    This is a great name.

I would like to see the following setup.

1. The current listening room could remain, but with some changes.

a. A listening room for GPO stand alone only.

b. A listening room for GPO and Finale only.

c. A listening room for GPO and Sibelius only.

d. A listening room for GPO and sequencing.

I think that it is misleading to potential customers of GPO to think that they will get out of the box GPO to sound the way it does when it has been tweeked using Sonar or any other software that gives that recording studio quality of sounds. I want to know what it is I'm listening to . If sounds have been filtered throught a sequencer or recorded directly through a sequencer. Also, I would like to know if it is Finale or Sibelius notation software. When I'm listening I have one interest only, that is to hear what people are writing/composing. I'm not going to spend the time it requires to create a studio quality production of my compositions. I dare to dream of a live orchestra performing my works some day. However, I do appreciate the posts that have produced these wonderful studion quality examples of GPO.
    Samantha Penigar
    http://www.myspace.com/samanthapenigar

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...p?userid=13306

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

Hi, Ray - I think this is a very thoughtful, worthwhile post you've put up, thanks for it.

Anybody who spends much time in The Listening Room must be aware that there is a bit of a constant quandary going on - what does the poster want us to focus on?-the composition itself, or that in conjunction with the recording/rendering?

If people could more consistently state what their purpose is in their thread starters, then things could be more clear. But there's no way to make everyone always state clearly what they're looking for in responses.

The idea of having two separate Listening Rooms just sounds - clumsy to me. I probably would need to wrap my head around the idea more to better anticipate how it would work, but my first reaction is, and always has been, that it sounds - awkward and overly complicated.

If there were two different Forums, I'd have difficulty being able to designate that one is for pieces where the writer is "striving for realism." What about pieces that don't fit either category very well?

Using myself as an example, I'm not seeking "realism" in my recordings, I'm seeking "effectiveness" perhaps in a more pop music sense. I'm wanting to make interesting sounding recordings, and that's different from people who are trying to emulate realistic orchestral recordings. It doesn't matter to me if a Violin solo, for example, can't pan back and forth in a real situation - Maybe that effect is what I want and so I do that without being concerned about "realism."

I'm not so sure other people would be able to easily place themselves in one category either. I'm sure there are people using notation software right now who even though they don't do all the audio tweaking some of us do, it's not as if they're not concerned about having a "realistic" recording/rendering. Maybe they think their work Is in that "realistic" category--even though you or other people may disagree. If they go ahead and put their piece in your "realistic" room - I think the merits of their composition would probably be overlooked while people tear apart what they see as the technical shortcomings of their work. You know? They'd have to go slinking away and go back to the "unrealistic" room - a place where I think anybody would feel like a second-class citizen to be put in.

Part of your post here is talking about the potential pitfalls of giving unwanted advice, or giving it in a way that isn't appreciated. For me, that brings up the issue that it's never "honest" to be nasty and cutting in feedback. That's just being honestly snide and rude. The only advice worth listening to is given in a positive, truly helpful way, written in a manner that makes the reader receptive to the input. It's easy to be negatively critical - that's why good, encouraging teachers can be rather rare.

As far as discussing things in the LR in its current form, you said, "...I want to discuss such issues (as Altiverb) with people who are interested in these issues. Again, if one has no interest, fine, I wouldn’t wish to bother them. I don’t want to fall out with anybody...."

--And I think that's the perfect kind of discussion for the individual threads. Altiverb becomes a topic on your threads, and that's the perfect place to discuss that with the people who are interested. I mean that the current format of the LR doesn't prevent that.

So, I'm not saying I think you have a terrible idea here, I'm just saying that it's still sounding like an unnecessary complication to have 2 rooms - I need to cogitate some more on't.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

I agree, the "Mixing Room" is a great name and I like Samantha's idea of individual rooms for differing situations as well.

A "just listen to it" room could be included for those not interested in a mixdown analysis.

Go Back to forum