• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Stylus RMX: Auditioning new Favourites?

Share/Bookmark

Stylus RMX: Auditioning new Favourites?

Can anyone help with the following problems as i am going insane & it's preventing me from using RMX (V1.5.1c) at all:

I am working in Groove Menu Midi Mode on part/Midi channel 1, and i have added a number of elements to an empty favourites suite which i can play from the keyboard and also drag n' drop into my project...cool

Problem 1:
    ----------
    after dragging and droping the loops into my host (Cubase 4) during song composition, how do i audition another element from another suite whilst still having my project play correctly with the elements from the favourites suite? Whilst my host is playing a looped portion of my project, if i navigate to a different suite to audition new elements, the project becomes all messed up with RMX now playing/triggering elements from the newly selected suite! I have tried to open a new suite on part/midi 2 which seems the sensible thing to do but the previously dragged n' dropped elements (on midi 1) in my host now trigger both parts 1 & 2 within RMX in GMMM. Why does an element from part 1, (when dropped into the project) trigger all parts within RMX? I am tearing my hair out trying to solve this problem...

Problem 2:
    ----------
    I am part way through a project with lots of elements from my favourites suite sitting nicely in my project (GMMM) and playing back correctly. I decide that i like some hi hats from a different suite so i navigate to that suite, then add the Hi Hats pattern to my favourites suite being used for this project. When jumping back to my favourites, i see that the Hi Hats element has now been added at the top of the favourites suite, but because of this, all of the existing elements of the suite have been pushed down to make room for the Hi Hats pattern, which means my project now plays back the wrong patterns as all the midi note assignments have been moved? I have tried dragging the hi hats pattern to the bottom of the elements list (where it needs to be!) but this option obviously doesn't exist! I am i doing something wrong or is RMX simply not able to add new things part way through a project?

Re: Stylus RMX: Auditioning new Favourites?

Hi Dave,

Stop tearing your hear out...unless you don't wanna go for a haircut

Answer 1:
    Very strange...I work with Cubase SL3 and RMX and never had this problem of Cubase sending data to the unintended channel in RMX as you are discribing. Maybe this is new to Cubase 4? I don't know.

Answer 2:
    Never used the favourites. RMX seems to be able to add something to the suite being halfway a project...it just does not work the way you had it in mind
    Here's what you can do. If that HiHat part is added at the top of the suite...it means that all the other parts are shifted (keyboard note wise) one key up. Knowing that, you go to Cubase, select all those parts and transpose those parts by one key (all at once of course)...et voila...you got it!!!

If not clear...call again!!!

Good luck,

Robin.

There two factors to take care about problem1: when and how you start the second element from rmx interface while cubase is playing the already positioned element:

when: you have to begin playing it according to setting of the option at the left of the floppy disk icon in the right lower corner. Best setting for me is 'Next bar'

how: if the cubase is playing you have to start the second element with the play button right under the relative slot and not the global play button.

also, check that the track where you put the first element has the out midi channel set to the same number of the slot where you assigned the element. I'm not sure I answered to your question 'cause english is not my language and I didn't ever mess up with Favorites

Quote Originally Posted by Dave G
    Can anyone help with the following problems as i am going insane & it's preventing me from using RMX (V1.5.1c) at all:

I am working in Groove Menu Midi Mode on part/Midi channel 1, and i have added a number of elements to an empty favourites suite which i can play from the keyboard and also drag n' drop into my project...cool

Problem 1:
    ----------
    after dragging and droping the loops into my host (Cubase 4) during song composition, how do i audition another element from another suite whilst still having my project play correctly with the elements from the favourites suite? Whilst my host is playing a looped portion of my project, if i navigate to a different suite to audition new elements, the project becomes all messed up with RMX now playing/triggering elements from the newly selected suite! I have tried to open a new suite on part/midi 2 which seems the sensible thing to do but the previously dragged n' dropped elements (on midi 1) in my host now trigger both parts 1 & 2 within RMX in GMMM. Why does an element from part 1, (when dropped into the project) trigger all parts within RMX? I am tearing my hair out trying to solve this problem...

Thanks for your replies. Transposing all my dropped elements in my host every time i add a new element to the favourites suite (due to the notes assignments being shifted) would seem to be the only way round this problem & i can't help thinking this part of RMX wasn't very well thought out!

Most of the problems i'm having seem to be all related to the fact that i 'cannot' get the damn thing to work multitimbraly within Cubase 4. I have watched the video's on setting up within Cubase & the section on how set RMX up multitimbraly, and after spending literally 2 days solid on trying every concievable approach to getting it to work, i have come to the conclusion that there must be a bug under Cubase 4 (at least on my setup) that prevents RMX from functioning multitimbrally.

I have activated all the outputs for RMX so that there are 8 visible VST channels for RMX. If i have a different element on each of RMX's parts/midi channels, i can drag say 'part4' into Cubase 4 and the track settings will always indicate midi channel 1 (not automatically set to midi 4 as the tutorial suggests). If i then change both the channel output to midi 4 & physically change all the note date to midi 4 aswel, nothing happens when i play back. RMX just sits there silent, apart from the midi light flashing on the top left of the menu bar. Only when i change the data/track to midi channel 1 does RMX play anything but when this happens, it triggers 'all' channels simultaneously:

ok, In 'Slice Menu Midi Mode' on on each part:

1. RMX will only respond to midi channel 1
    2. Tracks set up for midi channels 2-8 are ignored by RMX
    3. When data is played through Midi 1, RMX triggers 'ALL' parts simultaneously which is incredibly frustrating

This is also the case in Groove Menu Midi Mode. It just doesn't want to work multitimbrally. I have scoured many forums in search of that little nugget of information that will solve this problem, and i have found a number of others experiencing the same issues, but strangely no solution has presented itself. I am shortly going insane. I am presently having to bounce all my elements to audio which is a painstaking, & presumably unnecessary, situation to be in, but i am left with little option until this problem can be overcome.

In Cubase 4.01 I just created a 4 part multi in Groove Menu mode with immediate triggering and used 4 separate outputs and it worked fine. It sounds like you are not setting up Cubase correctly. I was going to attach the session, but I didn't realize Northern Sounds does not allow attachments.

When configuring this make sure you have one MIDI track in Cubase properly routed to RMX for each part you are using (a maximum of eight for each instance of RMX). The multiple outputs used in RMX are different from this so don't confuse/mix-up the two.

The favourites thing is unsatisfactory, but you can be sure Eric is aware of it. I too would love a vastly improved favourites sections where you could build suites, change them around and generally create your own custom suites. I have mentioned this before and Eric appeared to agree that Spectrasonics were aware of it, which can only mean that in the next version, if it ever appears, will address these limitations.

I suspected I didn't understand the problems you have but I tried to give my basic reply. Sorry for that. Now maybe I understand your problem but don't have a solution (I don't use cubase 4). Another basic thing to check is something related to hardware midi setup, midi thru, global channel of some device attached to your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by zeruyo
    I suspected I didn't understand the problems you have but I tried to give my basic reply. Sorry for that. Now maybe I understand your problem but don't have a solution (I don't use cubase 4). Another basic thing to check is something related to hardware midi setup, midi thru, global channel of some device attached to your computer.
    I have an Access Virus TI Keyboard which works through USB. This also functions as a midi interface & sound card through it's ASIO interface. I've never had a problem with any other VST before & use Kontakt 2 Multi-timbraly which works perfectly. Any global settings that could be at fault would cause this same problem to occur with Kontakt 2 which is not the case.

Stlyus RMX simply won't multi-timbraly under Cubase 4 (on my setup) & i can only assume this is a bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave G
    Stlyus RMX simply won't multi-timbraly under Cubase 4 (on my setup) & i can only assume this is a bug.
    Hey Dave
    It's working fine -
    You need to activate the RMX Outputs in Cubase 4 -
    Devices>VST Instruments>Click on the small button on the right side of the "e" button and select the outputs of RMX you want in Cubase.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Clausen
    Hey Dave
    It's working fine -
    You need to activate the RMX Outputs in Cubase 4 -
    Devices>VST Instruments>Click on the small button on the right side of the "e" button and select the outputs of RMX you want in Cubase.
    I wish it were that simple. I've already done this to no avail. I've also discovered that setting up multiple outputs on RMX has nothing to do with it's functionality as a multi-timbral instrument, meaning that even through the default single stereo channel, it should still function multi-timbrally...It don't!

Go Back to forum