• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: New Prelude - Prelude in a minor

Share/Bookmark

New Prelude - Prelude in a minor

Some of you may remember that I posted a few Preludes here last year. Well, I have just started to write a few more and decided to post the first one now , the Prelude in a minor.

Just as my very recent song was influenced by Schumann but wasn’t supposed to sound like him, and my piano sonata from around New Years was influenced by Beethoven, but wasn’t really supposed to be a reproduction of his work, these Preludes are influenced by Chopin, but aren’t supposed to sound exactly like him.

Anyway, I was trying to make this one almost a transition between the ones in C Major and D major and,.. wait, I know what you are thinking… C-a-D?

I decided to use this order (uppercase = major key, lower minor) C-a-D-b-E-c#-etc. I know, after “g” will be C again without hitting all keys. At that point I plan (or would if I actually write that many!) to go to Eb then Eb-c-F-d-G-etc. I want to repeat the first one, the one in C, again as #25.

As I was saying, this one transits the ones in C and D. It starts out with a first inversion of a and with a seventh add, that is, it looks almost like a C in root position with a 6th (13th). That extra –g- rings like a bell throughout and is never resolved until the D chord that starts the Prelude in D.

Here are the Preludes so far-
    Prelude 1 in C Major
    Prelude 2 in a minor ...//... score - pdf file
    Prelude 3 in D Major
    Prelude 14 in c minor ...//... score - pdf file

(Ignore numbers in names of mp3s – that was the order I wrote them)
    Any comments, good or bad, welcome.

Note - on 8/2 at about 8:20 EST I added pdf scores to the Prelude in a minor and the Prelude in c minor.
    Last edited by trentpmcd; 08-02-2007 at 07:24 PM. Reason: I added pdf scores to the Prelude in a minor and the Prelude in c minor.
    Trent P. McDonald

Re: New Prelude - Prelude in a minor

An intriguing, reflective prelude, Trent, with its insistent
    but gentle tolling as of a thought that denies leaving the
    mind...

I think I might perhaps review the dynamics in this a bit,
    Trent; some parts seem a bit brash; whilst others very
    soft.

This wears nicely on several hearings, I must say. Nice
    job on it!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Trent - Beautiful pieces. In general, I love hearing things which are so far afield of what I do and am capable of. It's like visiting another world. I'm in awe of these Preludes.

Thank you!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Excellent writing. In performance I might be temped to play a bit with the dynamics, but that said, the music itself bears careful listening. I really enjoyed these.

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    An intriguing, reflective prelude, Trent, with its insistent
    but gentle tolling as of a thought that denies leaving the
    mind...

I think I might perhaps review the dynamics in this a bit,
    Trent; some parts seem a bit brash; whilst others very
    soft.

This wears nicely on several hearings, I must say. Nice
    job on it!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Hi David.

As usual you seem to pick up the essence of what I am trying to do. One of the ideas I had was a kind of dark journey through the mind with a thought tolling like a funeral bell – towards the end it becomes a little less insistent, but it is still there only to be resolved by the next Prelude, which I hope soars like a glider over a canyon…

I’ll think of the dynamics a little – I want it to be pretty quite, building to the climax and then suddenly dying back to the more somber mood. I do hear one or two chords that seems to stick out - brash as you say...

Thanks for your kind comments.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Trent - Beautiful pieces. In general, I love hearing things which are so far afield of what I do and am capable of. It's like visiting another world. I'm in awe of these Preludes.

Thank you!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Hi Randy,

Thanks for stopping by to listen. Listening to the wide range of music you create I am sure you are capable of writing a few great Preludes.

Thanks for your comments.
    Trent P. McDonald

Trent,

Very nice - the language is very engaging, and doesn't sound like too much influence from Chopin (I'm listening to the a minor prelude). There is a nice juxtaposition of the lulling ostinato and the abrupt interjections; for me this was quite effective.

Good job!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis
    Excellent writing. In performance I might be temped to play a bit with the dynamics, but that said, the music itself bears careful listening. I really enjoyed these.
    Hi Tom, Another comment on dynamics. Hmm, maybe that’s something I need to look at. Actually, I would assume a performer would change some of the dynamics a little – These were done in a Sibelius with the dynamics touched up a bit in Cubase. I’m sure there is room for improvement…

Anyway, I am glad that you like them. Thanks for listening and for your kind comments.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    Trent,

Very nice - the language is very engaging, and doesn't sound like too much influence from Chopin (I'm listening to the a minor prelude). There is a nice juxtaposition of the lulling ostinato and the abrupt interjections; for me this was quite effective.

Good job!
    Hi Ron,

Thanks for stopping by and taking a listen.

The influence is there, but maybe more in the ideas than the actual notes, motives, harmonies, etc. In other words, I am looking more at the essence of what he (and other early/mid Romantic composers) did than their actual style.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and for your kind comments.
    Trent P. McDonald

Hello again, Trent - I came back to listen some more.

You said to me:

"...I am sure you are capable of writing few great Preludes..."

hehe---I'm going to think perhaps you meant "writing A few great..."

And if so, thanks for the confidence. I'd have to get Much More Serious - and miracles Do happen!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast