• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: No wind at the sails.

Share/Bookmark

Red face No wind at the sails.

This is like the longest writers drought I have ever encountered. Just can't seem to get myself back into the groove, man. Like, farm out groovy man. Powder on the people, man like dig that daddio like. Right arm, man. Like Cooooooooool.
    No music ... just woik, woik, woik! I owe I owe I owe it's off to work I go!
    So, what is the longest (keep it clean ) you have ever gone without composing, performing, and making brownies?
    Last night I was cleaning out my file cab when I accidentally shut a drawer on me copy of Strad 2! How embaraskin! I'll need to order another later, man.
    Styxx

Re: No wind at the sails.

I usually go long periods of time and then suddenly urge pops up to get a new piece down on my hard drive. Then 5 days later (average), it appears in the Listening Room. And then its another long period before the following time. Just can't seem to get enough time together to make it worthwhile to compose.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

About thirty years ago I was watching some program about arts and crafts. One of the guest on the show was ask this same question about sculpting. She told the interviewer that when she fealt uninspired and was inbetween projects she "threw cups." The interviewer, like me thought that she actually picked up cups and threw them for the purpose of breaking. She laughht and then explained that she did not break cups but used clay to make coffee cups. Then she demonstrated and show a shelf that was filled with beautiful cups of various sizes and designs.

As a result of this show I have always tried to "throw cups" with music. When I did not feel like working on some composition that I was trying to learn to perform I would practice scales, and the Hannon Exercises. Now with composition when I am between compositions or do not feel inspried to add something new to an existing composition, I write chord progressions and cadences. Then I try different types of voice movements just to see what results.
    Samantha Penigar
    http://www.myspace.com/samanthapenigar

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...p?userid=13306

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

Well, in my case, sometimes I am attacked by doubts about my compositions, my composing skills, and have a grand case of lack of confidence. Coupled with arthritis and hives and hemlock linduced dermatitis, l will sometimes be stifled for a month or more. Then, suddenly, I will produce 4 or 5 pieces in a week or so.

Richard

I've had plenty of times when I had free time, but lacked any creative desire. It's frustrating because part of me wants to see the final product, but the other part just doesn't feel excited enough to put any passion into the working to get it... all I can really do then is listen to music or read a book or watch a movie or browse the web and try to get some inspiration.

But that's only when there's time to be spent. There's the other side, when you do feel creative and there's a lot you want to write and you're excited by your own ideas, but you can't spend any time bringing them to life just because you have too much work to do and no extra time. I personally find this even more frustrating... it seems all you can do is just wait it out... and it's not easy... In high school and college there were countless times when it got like this... argh!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go to the beach and listen to the waves, soon you'll start hearing music in your head. Don't forget to take some sunscreen.

The beach didn't help for me. Yet, Vegas did jog my mind when it came to music. Unfortunately, the laptop I had with me could barely run.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Samantha, I love the "throwing cups" story. What a great philosophy.

It also makes me think of how a lot of truly special music can emerge from projects not originally thought of as especially important by the composer. Lofty goals to write The Ultimate Symphony, or to channel God's Voice - that can set up a whole line of wrong motivations to write. It can be a pretentious goal with equally pretentious results. Better to just Write, even if it's "throwing a cup." Useful things, cups.

Something that works for me every time - To find a music project that has a finite deadline. There's no motivator like necessity. Someone wants some incidental music for a play, they ask me to do it, there's a date on the calendar when they need it--I can't indulge in the luxury of "waiting for inspiration," but Have to sit down and produce.

I love deadlines.

The work-a-day composer, always working on deadlines, I can envy that situation. The faucet of inspiration is actually on all the time, we can just forget that's true sometimes. The person who can put out music on a regular basis because he/she Has to - they know where the faucet handle is and keep it on full blast.

Something like that.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    Go to the beach and listen to the waves, soon you'll start hearing music in your head. Don't forget to take some sunscreen.
    Thanks, nice thought but in Buffalo going to the beach is like swiming in your own ... well, you get the picture.
    Dead fish, rocks, broken glass in the sand, and stinky water! Hard to believe they call it "fresh water"!
    Styxx

Best advice I can give is to stop writing for a week, and spend all the extra time listening to as many different pieces of music you can. Especially live music!
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Go Back to forum