• Register
  • Help

Topic: Best converter for Roland sample CD

Share/Bookmark

Best converter for Roland sample CD

I recently bought East West "The Ultimate Strings Collection" and I used Chicken Systems 2.9 to convert all the "volumes" on the CD. The conversion wasn't accurate. Some of the sounds have an instant "on-off" envelope like a Hammond organ, others have an instant attack and a piano-like envelope.

What's the best way to crack this nut?

Re: Best converter for Roland sample CD

I own both of the two 'big' name translators........CDXTRACT and Translator Pro......TWo years later I have come to the conclusion that I need to keep my Roland's around cause both of them have problems translating various libraries....I will say that Garth from ChickenSys is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY more responsive than Bernard from CDXtract.....and there are ways to make .rol virtual files and Garth would look at them and try to correct the problems.... Don't expect all of this to happen overnight. By the way I also own that library and CDXTRACT wouldnt' even recognise it or see any samples or programs on it.
    rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------
    Nuendo 4.3 | Intel DP35DP : Intel Quad Core QX 6700 : 4GB RAM | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | 2xUAD-1, UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 4.5.2 | MacBookPro 2.16 Ghz | 10.6.3 | 2GB | TC Konnekt 8

Quote Originally Posted by zvenx
    I own both of the two 'big' name translators........CDXTRACT and Translator Pro......TWo years later I have come to the conclusion that I need to keep my Roland's around cause both of them have problems translating various libraries....I will say that Garth from ChickenSys is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY more responsive than Bernard from CDXtract.....and there are ways to make .rol virtual files and Garth would look at them and try to correct the problems.... Don't expect all of this to happen overnight. By the way I also own that library and CDXTRACT wouldnt' even recognise it or see any samples or programs on it.
    rsp
    hmmm... i used cdxtract (most recent version) on the Roland String library (recently since i got the thing in the East West sale for 15 bucks) and it converted everything. I can't say that the conversions were 100% accurate but it worked.

I've had weird results with some Roland conversions too- the "piano-type" envelopes you mention, sometimes loops don't work, etc.

BUT: that was all a long time ago....so I'm really sorry I can;t say how I got around the problem. I used both Translator & CDextract, and I have successfully converted all my Roland CD ROMS and use them a lot with exs24. So don't give up, those are some great sounds!!

I have kept one S760 though, BTW. It's just sitting in the basement...pity, really.

Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by scottsta
    hmmm... i used cdxtract (most recent version) on the Roland String library (recently since i got the thing in the East West sale for 15 bucks) and it converted everything. I can't say that the conversions were 100% accurate but it worked.
    hi he was taken about a different library the Ultimate String Collection not the Roland String Library which I converted, converted without 'errors's but if you A/B the patches I think they sound way different at least in Kontakt2 vs. Roland S-760. what is your software sampler of choice?
    rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------
    Nuendo 4.3 | Intel DP35DP : Intel Quad Core QX 6700 : 4GB RAM | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | 2xUAD-1, UAD-2 Quad |

I find both of them convert any Spectrasonics stuff very well. but many of my older Roland libraries. AFrica Volume 1 and 2, Keyboards 60's 70's, DigitalBoy, Roland Disc that came with my S-760's. I am less that satisfied with the results.
    rsp
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel W
    I've had weird results with some Roland conversions too- the "piano-type" envelopes you mention, sometimes loops don't work, etc.

BUT: that was all a long time ago....so I'm really sorry I can;t say how I got around the problem. I used both Translator & CDextract, and I have successfully converted all my Roland CD ROMS and use them a lot with exs24. So don't give up, those are some great sounds!!

I have kept one S760 though, BTW. It's just sitting in the basement...pity, really.

Nigel
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------

Another sample converter that is spoken of highly within the past couple years is Extreme Sample Converter. I don't know if it does Roland conversions or not.

In addition to everything else, Roland samplers had filter characteristics which don't translate perfectly.

I agree about Garth, great guy.
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Interesting thread.... .

I use Kontakt 2.2.3, and when I try to import the old EMUIII format, it breaks up and crashes cubase,..... .
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

One thing to watch out for if you're converting Roland brass samples or anything else they did that had short loops is Roland's "loop tune" parameter. Often their sound designers would come up with a very short loop that went sharp or flat and then use this parameter to even out the pitch. When the sample is converted to another format you'll just hear an out-of-tune loop.

This brings back memories of the old days when we used to have to conserve every single byte of memory we could when dealing with samplers.

I upgraded to Kontakt 2 and it did a respectable job of converting this library. I then tried using Extreme Sample Converter to convert the .nki files to .sfz (Cakewalk Dimension and Rapture) but the results were problematic. Well, at least I can use them!

Go Back to forum