• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Elton John: We Must Close the Net!

Share/Bookmark

Elton John: We Must Close the Net!

According to the Sun, POP legend Sir Elton John wants the internet CLOSED DOWN.
    "He claims it is destroying good music, saying: “The internet has stopped people from going out and being with each other, creating stuff.

“Instead they sit at home and make their own records, which is sometimes OK but it doesn’t bode well for long-term artistic vision....

“Hopefully the next movement in music will tear down the internet.

“Let’s get out in the streets and march and protest instead of sitting at home and blogging.

“I do think it would be an incredible experiment to shut down the whole internet for five years and see what sort of art is produced over that span.

“There’s too much technology available.
    Maybe the internet has led to more collaboration and music making, not less. Perhaps we should invite Sir Elton to visit our forum.

What do you think? Close the internet?

Re: Elton John: We Must Close the Net!

I'd be interested to know what exactly Elton John has observed to make these conclusions... just a lack of physical marches and protests?

I probably wouldn't be writing much music at all if it weren't for the Internet.

Perhaps Elton John just longs for the "good old days" ...
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    [[/INDENT]Maybe the internet has led to more collaboration and music making, not less. Perhaps we should invite Sir Elton to visit our forum.
    Yes, Sir Elton needs to stop by….

The Internet and technology (in particular GPO) has done more for my music, getting me motivated to learn more, listen to more and share more than anything I can imagine. I spend much more time “talking” to musicians/composers now than ever before…
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Perhaps Elton John just longs for the "good old days" ...
    No. That would be Billy Joel.

Without the Internet, there would be no Colonel Crush. And without Colonel Crush, all would be fall into darkness.[1]

It's clear that Elton didn't think things through!

[1] As prophesized in the Bjorgak tablets which Bjoregosas carried down from the Holy Bjorgak Mountain in the year 56 BB. (Colonel Crush 4, From Russia with ACTION!, Webisode 4.)

Interesting! I think it's a generational thing, and perhaps some professional umbrage rising from how people are able to produce some pretty amazing music in their little home studios, unlike during Elton's heyday.

It reminds me of a grumbling remark George Harrison once made, that The Beatles worked long and hard with relatively primitive tools to get the effects they came up with under the guidance of George Martin - the kinds of effects that kids can now dial up instantly in their software.

It also reminds me of how a studio exec was bemoaning Ages ago, back in the mid '80's, how, because of synthesizers and 4 track cassette decks, "ANybody" could now sound good and it was becoming difficult to tell what was actually good music. lol. He actually probably had a point - Without slick production values, a lot of pop music really Would be nothing without all the whiz bang polish.

Yes, I think it's an age thing, resenting progress.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

I can kind of see part of his point... It is annoying seeing dozens of people on their Bluetooth cellphones at the subway or airport, interacting with far-away people while there are hundreds right all around them.

However, what Sir Elton doesn't realize is that, without the Internet, even for a day, 99% of all business would cease, he would earn almost nothing... I don't even need to add anything.
    Best of luck,
    David Guinness

Dell P4 2.66GHz, 2GB RAM, Windows XP Pro SP2, Finale 2007c, GPO and JABB with KP2
    HP AMD 2.3Ghz Dual, 3GB RAM, Vista Home Premium, Finale 2008, GPO, JABB, Gofriller Solo Cello with KP2

I noticed Mr John has his whole catalog on the iTunes store. He must be hedging his bets.

Phil

Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Is it possible that part of Elton John has already shut down? He's not so old, but it sounds like senile something or other has set in.

Richard

With the exception of this forum, you can run into some very wild and hostile characters on the net. I'm afraid if we didn't have the internet to keep them busy, they would probably be out marching and protesting and stuff... and turning over cars... and looting... music stores.

Go Back to forum