• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: di Lasso - Mon coeur se recommande a vous

Share/Bookmark

di Lasso - Mon coeur se recommande a vous

The 16th century compose Orlando di Lasso was a man almost ahead of his times in terms of composition and technique. One charming work he composed, a quartet presumably for recorders, "Mon coeur se recommande a vous" (My Heart Doth Beg You'll Not Forget).

Here is have set it for saxophone quartet using the JABB library;
    Soprano Sax 1
    Alto Sax 1
    Tenor Sax 2
    Baritone Sax 1

www.garybricault.com/mp3/LassoMonCoeurSax.mp3

Given it fanfare-like sound I also decided to set it for brass quartet as well. For this I used the following GPO brass selections;
    Trumpet 1 Player 1
    Trumpet 2 Player 1
    French Horn 1 Player 1
    Tenor Trombone Player 1

www.garybricault.com/mp3/LassoMonCoeurBrass.mp3

Enjoy!

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Re: di Lasso - Mon coeur se recommande a vous

Well this is quite a nice rendering. I especially liked the brass realization (Don't get me started on Saxophones - I got a million jokes).

This would be a nice piece for a brass group. This much like a lot of the music we play for weddings in our group. Did you arrange the piece, or just copy it from a di Lassus score?

Good piece for brass
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

I agree this is quite well suited to brass. This is just the type of piece brass quartets/quintets love - upbeat, tonal, and short - easy on the ears for audiences and gigs like weddings. I think most groups would perform it with a fairly heavy rallentando at the end, though. Or repeat the final phrase 'maestoso' for effect, etc.

If you expand it to a quartet as well as a quartet you could probably get this easily performed by hundreds of brass ensembles if a similar version isn't already available.

It's actually an a capella vocal piece.

Gary... may I make a suggestion?

the TEMPO!!!!!!!!! man what were you thinking!! hehehehe

"My heart gives itself to thee, so full of longing"... it's MUCH slower than that.

At that tempo it sounds more like "I long for a heart-attack-inducing Whopper from Ye Merry Olde Burger Kinge"

"Mon coeur demande un Burger King..."

editted to add
    full real lyrics:

Mon coeur se recommande à vous,
    Tout plein d'ennui et de martyre;
    Au moins en dépit des jaloux
    Faites qu'à Dieu vous puisse dire!
    Ma bouche qui voulait sourire
    Et conter propos gracieux
    Ne fait maintenant que maudire
    Ceux qui m'ont banni de vos yeux.

translation:

My heart is offered up to you
    Full now of woe and martyrdom!
    At least despite the jealous,
    Allow yourself to say farewell!
    My mouth which wanted to smile
    And charming stories improvise
    Now can only curse
    Those who banished me from your eyes.

Hi, Gary

You asked us to enjoy, and that was an easy request to fulfill, because I enjoyed Very much.

For me, the Brass Quartet version was the more successful of the two. The Sax version had a rather organ-like sound to it.

Bill asked if this arrangement is as you found it, or if you have to adapt and re-arrange. It's an interesting question -I'm curious how full the original scoring is.

You said it was presumably originally written for Recorders. Did you consider also doing a Woodwind version with Oboes, English Horns and Flutes? That could be interesting.

One more question - You listed the instruments you used. Why did you use the Player versions of the Brass instruments instead of the more complex Solo versions? This sounded good, but it would sound even better with those larger file instruments.

Oh and yes, I agree that a pronounced rallentando on the final measures is a called-for touch.

Certainly a nice, bright composition, thanks for letting us hear your version(s) of it!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

The brass fanfare version worked best for me. But I did find it became a bit unrelenting after half a minute or so, and began to imagine what it might sound like with gentle woodwinds. I did a quick Google on the title and that suggests it was originally a song with 4 vocal parts.
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer
    Well this is quite a nice rendering. I especially liked the brass realization (Don't get me started on Saxophones - I got a million jokes).

This would be a nice piece for a brass group. This much like a lot of the music we play for weddings in our group. Did you arrange the piece, or just copy it from a di Lassus score?

Good piece for brass
    Hi Bill,

Thanks for your comments.

I found a 4-voice sheet on one of the public domain music sites with a midi file. I was rather taken by it and decided it worked nicely for brass. The voices fall naturally into when transposed down a step. Also, since it is a very short work I added a repeat to give the listener a little more time to enjoy the wonderful musical twists and turns. I could share the score with you if you would like to see it.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    It's actually an a capella vocal piece.

Gary... may I make a suggestion?

the TEMPO!!!!!!!!! man what were you thinking!! hehehehe

"My heart gives itself to thee, so full of longing"... it's MUCH slower than that.

At that tempo it sounds more like "I long for a heart-attack-inducing Whopper from Ye Merry Olde Burger Kinge"

"Mon coeur demande un Burger King..."

..snip..
    I am not sure that I agree with you regarding the tempo of the work. If it were sung in a madrigal style it would not drag on but would be light an airy. The only reference I had to work with a midi file and I found it to my liking to thus you hear the result.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hi, Gary

You asked us to enjoy, and that was an easy request to fulfill, because I enjoyed Very much.

For me, the Brass Quartet version was the more successful of the two. The Sax version had a rather organ-like sound to it.
    Randy. Thanks for your kind comments. The sheet that I found on a public domain site was simply written in SATB form. There was a midi file with recorder sounds and I rather liked it. So I entered it into Finale and took it down one step to make the notes fit the instrument range better and added a repeat to give it a little longer life.

Bill asked if this arrangement is as you found it, or if you have to adapt and re-arrange. It's an interesting question -I'm curious how full the original scoring is.

You said it was presumably originally written for Recorders. Did you consider also doing a Woodwind version with Oboes, English Horns and Flutes? That could be interesting.
    Since it was a question posed twice to me I gave it a try for Oboe, Clarinet, F Horn and Bassoon

www.garybricault.com/mp3/LassoMonCoeurWinds.mp3

Hope you like it.

One more question - You listed the instruments you used. Why did you use the Player versions of the Brass instruments instead of the more complex Solo versions? This sounded good, but it would sound even better with those larger file instruments.
    I don't like using solo instruments for tight ensemble playing. To me they sounds like four soloist competing against each other for the lead instead of blending as the Player insturments seem to do for me.

Oh and yes, I agree that a pronounced rallentando on the final measures is a called-for touch.

Certainly a nice, bright composition, thanks for letting us hear your version(s) of it!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Thanks Randy. I appreciate your thought on it very much.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by diligamus
    The brass fanfare version worked best for me. But I did find it became a bit unrelenting after half a minute or so, and began to imagine what it might sound like with gentle woodwinds. I did a quick Google on the title and that suggests it was originally a song with 4 vocal parts.
    Thanks for your comments. I like brass myself, but that is not always to everyone else's taste. You are correct that it was a 4 voice vocal work in SATB. I like your suggestion so I gave it a try for a quick try with winds; Oboe, Clarinet, F Horn and Bassoon. Here it is;

http://www.box.net/shared/dchu95l1n0

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast