• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help!

I've been recording now for a looooong time now, but i've just added on a Mac Pro with Logic, and i'm trying out Jabb. I've worked a lot of it out but can someone explain how to create falloffs, slurs, flutters etc.
    I'm pretty green with this, so bare with me, I know that you have to assign say cc33-48 for example but what is this and how do you apply it, are they piano notes, if so how do you get the trumpet effects.

Re: Help!

Hi Phil,

and welcome!

CC# stands for Continuous Controller, with numbers from 1 to 128. They are part of the MIDI standard protocol, but have nothing to do with note numbers. As the name implies, they transmit control messages to your synth. Some common ones are CC#1 (modulation), CC#7 (volume) and CC#11 (expression).

To send the appropriate CC# to your synth, you need to either change a hardware controller on your keyboard in realtime (a slider, wheel or pedal, for example) OR you can 'draw in' the appropriate values in the form of a ramp or a curve or enter discretet values into your sequencer MIDI track.

Many keyboards have assignable controllers; i.e. generic physical controls that can be given an arbitrary CC number.

I hope this somewhat simplified explanation is of some help.

Best regards,

Hi Phil,

To create all of these you use midi CCs (continuous controllers), which are not piano notes. Each midi cc can have 128 values (either 1-128 or 0-127 depending on how each program interprets them). There are 128 midi CCs.

To create a slur, you use the sustain pedal (midi cc 64). To tounge notes it will have a value of 0-64, to slur a value of 65-127.

Fluttertounge/Growl is mid cc 18, where the higher you go in value the more flutter/growl is added.

The falloffs are created with midi cc 15, where values from 0-32 are regular notes, 33-48 are falloffs, 49-95 are doits, and 96-127 are kisses. Note that these are not midi CCs 33-48, they are values 33-48 for Midi CC 15.

As for how to edit these, I'm not familiar with logic, being a pc user, but I believe there is a piano roll view where you should be able to draw in midi CCs as a curve, and you should be able to select which midi cc you want to edit.

Hope this helps,

When you say pedal I assume you mean something like a volume pedal, i'm using a Yamaha Psr 9000 I suppose there is some way of assigning one to 'sustain'.

On another note, i've loaded six different brass instruments, they all play simular riffs, when I solo them they're all in tune but when I play them all together there's one or two playing a couple of notes flat, any ideas, and thanks Richard and Joey for your help.

thats a tutorial i made to put in data in logic. i hope this helps.
    -Keith Fuller

iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Thanks Kieth,
    I'll check it out tomorrow when i've more time.

Hi again Phil,

I looked up the PSR 9000 on the 'net and here's a URL listing available accessories:
    <www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail/0,,CNTID%25253D1994%252526CTID%25253D206600%252526 ATRID%25253D30%252526DETYP%25253DATTRIBUTE%252526L GFL%25253DY,00.html>
    In principle, you'd need the Yamaha FC7 'volume' pedal (it's a high quality pedal, one of the best if not the best; I got it myself recently to replace a substandard Roland pedal and it's the works.

Also, you need either an FC4 or FC5 'switch' type sustain pedal (sustain is generally MIDI CC# 64 and although it's listed among continuous controllers, it is in fact an on/off type controller).

Now, you'll probably have to consult the PSR 9000 manual to find out if there's a way to reassign the volume pedal so that the PSR sends out, for example, CC# 18, instead of CC# 7 in its MIDI out stream.

From the photo of the 9000 I can't see if it's possible to assign outgoing CC#s to any sliders or buttons; if not you'll have to edit them in after the fact in Logic.

Good luck,

Because i'm not a keyboard player i'll probably go for the edit after approach.
    Have you had any thoughts on my post regarding 'out of tune instruments'

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Coggan

Have you had any thoughts on my post regarding 'out of tune instruments'

Sorry, no idea what could cause your tuning ('spontaneous transposing'?) problem. I'm a Digital Performer user and have never been near Logic...

I don't think it's anything to do with Logic, I think it's a Kontakt player problem!

Go Back to forum