• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: VSL Harpsichord demos

Share/Bookmark

VSL Harpsichord demos

Hello
    Let me publish some demos. VSL has released a new library: Special Keyboards. It contains samples of a Harpsi-Chord, a Harmonium and of a prepared Piano.

Demos
    G.F. Handel, Violin Sonata No6, Adagio/Allegro
    (Solo Violin, Harpsichord)

J.S. Bach, 2Part Invention in F-Major
    Register: First part: 8feet, second part 8feet doubled.
    There would be a third one called „Tutti“

J.S. Bach, Brandenburg Concerto No5, Allegro (Finale)
    (Solo Violin, Altoflute, Harpsichord, Chamberstrings)

Link to other demos: http://www.vsl.co.at/de-at/67/4587/5090.vsl

Listen to the lovely Harpsi and have fun

Beat Kaufmann

Re: VSL Harpsichord demos

I've been waiting for those. One more on my which list. Damn!

Well done.

Smile Re: VSL Harpsichord demos

Nice work as usual Beat.

The harpsichord seems to be very well sampled.

In the Bach's concert the solo violin still seems to me the weakest point in VSL (eg. compared with the demo I did for Gary).

But maybe it's just my opinion

Brandeburg n°5, Finale

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    Nice work as usual Beat.

In the Bach's concert the solo violin still seems to me the weakest point in VSL (eg. compared with the demo I did for Gary).

Brandeburg n°5, Finale

Hi Fabio,

I have to agree with your violin comment, the VSL solo violin is just (NOT) convincing, too synthy, rigid, and has poor violin timbre. I think this issue is also the problem with most of the solo VSL strings, but especially the violin.

Now on a positive note, the VSL harpsichord sounds wonderful, 'Harpsichord' is one of the instruments that seems to be ignored by many sample developers, (it's always the Piano that gets the attention), well, I'm glad that VSL took the correct step, now we have a great sounding 'Harpsichord' to play using the VSL VI.

A fast question, Is this the Garritan Stad. you are using in your Brand. no 5 demos ? It sounds very good ! Great timbre, and quite animated, rather than rigid sounding. I'm sure besides the great timbre, the controllers have a lot to do with the overall results.

Bravo ! Your Brand. no 5 demo is fantastic ! (I love Bach).

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    Nice work as usual Beat.
    Brandeburg n°5, Finale
    Hello Fabio
    Thanks for you comment and for posting your version. It shows us that
    mainly 3 points influence the final result:
    1. the Library, 2. the interpretation, 3. and finaly the audiomix.
    Our works are different in all 3 points. So the result has to be different.
    The rest is in fact a matter of taste - like you mentioned above.

About the violin libries: Every one can make its own choice...

BTW... how does a real violin sound? > 5 "true" violins
    Listening to these 5 examples: We have Garitan- and VSL-violins in the real world as well.

Have a nice weekend
    and all the best to Italy

Beat

edited: It sounds like VSL violin is more exposed compare to the other demo. Less reverb i mean. So I'm not sure it's good comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo001
    It's hardly a good comparison as VSL solo violin is completely exposed compare to the other demo.
    Sorry, but, I disagree.

The VSL solo violin has poor timbre, and sounds unreal, you can hide it as much as you want in a mix, that won't solve the problem.

I don't understand why when an instrument like the VSL solo violin does not have what it takes to get even close to a real violin, we still want to convince our ears that it is great sounding.

The VSL solo violin timbre and characterstics of attack, sustain and release are far away from the real thing. So, if a synthy type violin is needed no problem there, otherwise a real violin player, or a better library will be the solution.

Taste is important here. I myself prefer VSL because it has a warmer/rounder and wider tone. I find it to be more powerful also. Go listen to the violin-detache & violin-legato demo in the Horizon series to understand what i mean by more powerful.

I find the strad sound a little thine for my taste but it's very good. I believe they are both completely different and both have their usefulness I'm sure, depending on the situation.

Also processing is important IMO. VSL demos are often, if not always, very dry and up front. It's a little risky IMO, but at least you get to hear what it sounds really like.

I'd be curious to hear the same piece(the first one) in a bigger room with the violin a little more in the back of the room as oppose to in your face kind of.

If i ever get the Solo violins, and i hope i do, would probably not leave it exposed. I think I'd probably use IRs plus reverb to try and recreate a real life situation. If that makes sense.

Beat, can you tell what kind of processing you used here?

Quote Originally Posted by muziksculp
    ...The VSL solo violin has poor timbre, and sounds unreal, you can hide it as much as you want in a mix, that won't solve the problem.
    Hi Muziksculp
    Maybe you mean with "unreal", that the violin in my Brandenburg-Version didn't got vibratos in its sound. I intentionally used samples without vibratos because this playing style belongs to the baroque. Further it is correct that the VSL Violin has a more "modern" sound which is not very baroque like. -?
    Nevertheless I prefer VSL's Violin in any case like others prefer other products.
    Perhaps VSL is going to produce samples of old string instruments played with old bows one day...

Beat Kaufmann

Thumbs up Re: VSL Harpsichord demos

I may add some comments:

- yes manipulation of sounds and artistic will is meaningful: for instance I was looking for a thin and slightly baroque sound reducing vibrato use and power of sustain (actually if requested the Stradi v.2 is able of large romantic sound, with rude attacs, huge vibrato etc.). Sometime this trick in my version makes the sound a little less rich and in some point even electric: but it was a very early release and learning curve, now I would do it a little better.

The sound of the VSL solo is very well recorded and so very rich and full. But some expressions are missing, not due to the library, but due to traditional sampling technology limits, and so the phrases and the attacks tend to be less believable because less various and less connected.

- I'm a happy owner of VSL Chamber string: the flexibility compared to solo is totally different, because the ensamble is masking all the transitions, and so the powerful player makes very good cross fading between legatos and vibratos different samples, with very realistic sound. The big issue with the VSL player is the huge, incredible amount of CPU power consumed, so high that a real time arrangement is nearly impossible with actual standard personal computers (if you have money, last generation of powerful workstations can do it better) In my PC Kontact 2 can run a professionally sampled orchestra (eg. Garritan, EWQL or Emerald or several last generation solos like Westgate etc) but VSL Player run only 1 track of VSL Strings!!!!.

Go Back to forum