• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Musical noob question/rhythm pattern of swngwaltz

Share/Bookmark

Question OT: Musical noob question/rhythm pattern of swngwaltz

Don't know if this is proper place for this question, sorry if it's not.

I just wrote a melody... but didn't really write it, just played it on a Yamaha DGX-205 keyboard, and now i want to write it in Finale and render with GPO and JABB. It's on top of an auto-accompaniment 113 Swgwaltz, and would like to know if anyone can show me what this pattern which is in 3/4 looks like.

I know that probably sounds lame, but i'm not good at figuring out established rhythm patterns yet, i can work out the chords in notatation but not the patterns.

I tried googling but apparently Yamaha thinks it is copyrighted material, which i doubt. How can you copyright an old standard rhythm? I would think that the rhythm of Swing Waltz would be a standard and only copyrightable after it is made into a set of chords with a melody on top.

Can anyone help me please? And if you don't have a Yamaha keyboard for reference, Im sure any jpg, tiff, or midi of any other swing waltz would probably work, so i could maybe modify as needed to get where i'm trying to go.

Thanks,
    David

Re: OT: Musical noob question/rhythm pattern of swngwaltz

One thing i forgot to say:

If you record as a midi from this keyboard it has some kind of built in limitation, where the accompaniment styles don't record... actually i think if when using those styles, nothing will record.

Ok i think i figured it out... a dotted eighth and a sixteenth, times three for each measure. Is that what you would use?

and what would some soft brush percussion to go with that look like?

Oh nevermind about the percussion, i think i'll just have some distant rumbling timpani at the end, yeah that's the ticket.

Leaf,
    Here you go, Jazz Swing MIDI file and Jazz Swing fast MIDI file.

Note: Except it's not 3/4 (waltz)

Hope this helps,

Long

Hi, David "Leaf"

Interesting thing to read through your thread, seeing you working out things as the posts piled up.

And now I've just read Rick's reply about swing, notation etc - and I'm all - I understand it's a challenge to get these kind of things notated and playing back reasonably well, --it just makes me relieved that all I'm concerned about is playing what you're talking about, the way you started by playing what you wanted on the keyboard. It's ind of like using words to describe how to ride a bike - you get on the thing and Do it, and the instructions aren't needed. Except that to translate musical ideas like swing into notation--I understand, it takes a Lot of explaining and a lot of editing.

Hey, and David, you said, "...I just wrote a melody... but didn't really write it, just played it..." And I know that this distinction is often made, but I've never really quite gotten what that really means. Sitting at a keyboard and working out music Is writing music, to me, even if it never gets formalized into notation. Ya know?

Best of luck with all that!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

HLong, the Jazz Swing file you posted has a completely different sound than the swing waltz, but it sure does sound great. Thanks very much for that file, even if i don't end up using it for reference anytime soon, i'll still enjoy listening to it.

Very good info, Rick. Thanks very much. I think i'll start with door number three, particularly since you stated it is, technically speaking, the proper way to do it. Besides, I've always wanted to start doing something in those big time sigs anyway.

Thanks Randy, your responses and encouragement are always great to recieve and much appreciated. I know what you mean and agree, but i guess that's why i started using notation, to me it doesn't really feel like it's written until it's in a notation score that can be read... and then marked up with a pencil . Feelings... Oh, and also using it is helping me to learn to read music.

David

Leaf,
    How about this one (Right-Click and save as).
    Note: It is a GM MIDI file (swing waltz), You will need to rename it from .txt to .mid file.

Hope this helps,

Long

Thumbs up Re: OT: Musical noob question/rhythm pattern of swngwaltz

Quote Originally Posted by LHong
    Leaf,
    How about this one (Right-Click and save as).
    Note: It is a GM MIDI file (swing waltz), You will need to rename it from .txt to .mid file.

Hope this helps,

Long
    Thanks HLong. This one still has a very different sound. The one called Swgwaltz 113 on this keybord has a distinctive rhythm guitar strum, that rhythm seems to be absent in these and in all the ones i'm finding as well. I still may be able to use this one though, because the Cymbals in it seem top have a similar rhythm on some measures. I'll play with it some, switch it to guitar and see if i can get that sound. I saved my google search that i had abandoned after going through so many pages, but since you have found some i didn't see, maybe i just need to dig deeper.

Best Regards,
    David

Go Back to forum