• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Debussy - Quand j'ai ouy le tambourin

Share/Bookmark

Debussy - Quant j'ai ouy le tabourin

Claude Debussy composed the "Chansons de Charles d'Orléans" for choir of four mixed voices a cappella. The second work in the set is "Quant j'ai ouy le tabourin" (When I Hear the Sound of the Tambourine), a rather curious work. Here I have set it to for sextet using Finale 2006 and the following GPO instruments;

English Horn Solo
    Bb Clarinet Player 1
    Bb Clarinet Player 2
    Bass Clarinet Player 1
    Bassoon Player 1
    Bassoon Player 2

http://www.box.net/shared/dt2j9tumo3

The english horn plays the solo line accompanied by the other "voices" of the choir singing voweled sequences.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Re: Debussy - Quand j'ai ouy le tambourin

this has always been one of my favourite a capella pieces.

and it works surprisingly well for woodwinds as you've arranged it.

I think from the point of view of balance, I'd have liked to hear the "la-la-la" parts a little bit more marcatto. Also a bit of a swell on those "la-la" when the main voice comes in on "Quand j'ai ouy le tabourin".

Hi, Gary

This is a beautiful Debussy adaptation. A really good concept, and it sounds totally successful to me.

On your last music thread I asked a question, and I'm not sure you ever saw it?-because I have the same question again:

--Why are you using Player versions of instruments for these small ensembles when the solo instruments are more complex and natural sounding? Like in this piece, you're using two Bassoon Players, but the option of using two different Bassoon soloists would give you a richer, even more convincing sound--?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Hi Gary,

I like this arrangement quite a bit. I am not familiar with the original (though if you didn’t tell me who wrote it I think I would know it was Debussy) so I can’t comment on how it compares to the original. Very well done.
    Trent P. McDonald

bravo! sounds very vivid for a notation prog rendition...

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    this has always been one of my favourite a capella pieces.

and it works surprisingly well for woodwinds as you've arranged it.

I think from the point of view of balance, I'd have liked to hear the "la-la-la" parts a little bit more marcatto. Also a bit of a swell on those "la-la" when the main voice comes in on "Quand j'ai ouy le tabourin".
    I find this work to be almost surreal and yes woodwinds work well indeed for it. I tried a couple of other combinations for fun, brass, but it just doesn't work. I entered the work into Finale exactly as written on the copy and that states staccto markings. I find the GPO instruments drop off a bit when playing staccato. Yeah I think little crescendo before the main voice might be nice.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hi, Gary

This is a beautiful Debussy adaptation. A really good concept, and it sounds totally successful to me.

On your last music thread I asked a question, and I'm not sure you ever saw it?-because I have the same question again:

--Why are you using Player versions of instruments for these small ensembles when the solo instruments are more complex and natural sounding? Like in this piece, you're using two Bassoon Players, but the option of using two different Bassoon soloists would give you a richer, even more convincing sound--?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Hi Randy,

Thanks for your comments. It does work very nicely in woodwinds giving it a certain flair. To me the work is almost surreal at times, hence the choice of the English Horn as the lead.

Yes I did read your posting in the other thread and I did respond to it. 1. I use the Player versions for close ensembles because they fit together better. The solo instruments to me are just louder versions of the players and do not blend nicely. 2. I do the entries exactly as the original show it. There are places where there are two voices on a staff. The solo instruments will not play the second voice.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    Hi Gary,

I like this arrangement quite a bit. I am not familiar with the original (though if you didn’t tell me who wrote it I think I would know it was Debussy) so I can’t comment on how it compares to the original. Very well done.
    Trent,

I would not have guessed Debussy myself as I am not very familiar with his works. But having run across it at a public domain site I found it to be fascinating. I have not heard a vocal rendition of it. But I thought that the winds would do it justice. I tried brass too but it was not the right sound.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by GigaLove
    bravo! sounds very vivid for a notation prog rendition...
    It really is amazing how well the Finale plays back scores. Fortunately there is a lot of markings in the music to work with and they are all interpreted to some degree adding to the depth and feeling of the music.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Gary, there was a time that I did not like debussy music, and then all of sudden I learned to appreciate his work. This is very nice. I enjoyed listening to it. -Jay

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast