• Register
  • Help

Topic: Caprice, Meditation And Scherzo

Share/Bookmark

Caprice, Meditation And Scherzo

This should be close to finishing. Only 2 more lessons until I submit.

Comments on the music; I know the balance on †he sound is off.
    One day the ambience may return to mac intel....

hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=5634939&q=hi

FINALE 07
    Mac Intel

Re: Caprice, Meditation And Scherzo

Hi, Gary

What do you mean "...Only 2 more lessons until I submit..."

So here we have everything so far, with the playful but hesitating nature of the first section, the more sustained questions of the second part, and the finally unfettered conversation of the third. And (missing Legato and reverb notwithstanding) I enjoy the experience of listening. It's an interesting landscape where these woodwind voices live in this piece.

There have been various postings of versions, and segments, I'm not clear exactly what you've been doing--posting this in progress and now it's finished, or--in re: again to the quote from you above--it's still not finished--what lesson are you referring to?--

By the way, I saw David Et Lux try to help you with reverb on your last thread, but then the PC - Mac difference prevented that helping you much I guess.

SURely among all the Mac users here who are getting the full range of effects and mixing ability they need on their Macs--someone among them could help you out more. I hope they do.

Thanks for the post.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Hi Randy,
    Gosh, it's clear to me...
    As I work a piece, it's helpful to have feedback. I was ready to not submit my Fanfare until I got positive feedback days prior †o †he deadline.
    If I just place the new version wi†h †he old and it's past the first page, it won't get any attention.
    I have a weekly composition lesson and †here is always some†hing to be changed. I detect some irrelevant notes which could go.

Information is conflicting on Mac intel. One source says there will no† be an ambience: another talks about folders that are not in my update Finale package. It's also difficult to know who should furnish something-FINALE, GARRITAN OR NI.
    Gåry

Hello again, Gary

I appreciate the info in your response, I understand better now.

Speaking only for myself, I know what happens with me is that there are So many threads and people to keep track of, that I can't keep details straight without reminders, double checking posts etc.

With your pieces having similar but not exactly the same title, I tend to not understand if you mean them to be re-writes, developments, completions etc.

Here's something about your particular posting style, Gary -You're a man of few words. For my own thick head, anyway, sometimes what I'm reading is a bit cryptic and I'm not positive of what you mean.

But I Certainly know what you mean about adding an updated file to the same original thread, how it can be over-looked. Some people include the new file in the first original post as well as in a new reply, and that helps--But it can be difficult to get listeners to come back again. I understand.

And this is the first time I remember reading about your weekly composition lessons--Nice! That must keep you busy--a concept for Styxx's General Discussion thread about feeling uninspired and stuck. Just HAving to produce music can indeed be quite a motivator!

re: Finale - I can sympathize over the confusion of what's possible with it, depending on what other software one is using. I'm only an onlooker and it is totally to me.

Thanks again, Gary. The depth of your composition on this thread is something I really admire.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Gary, you know, there's a lot good to be said about the
    mix, here. Overally instrument balance is quite good
    (with a few exceptions on the flute blasting a bit, I think);
    panning and positioning works well. And even with the
    absence of much sound treatment, this type of material
    sounds well in the intimate closeness that implies to the
    ear.

As for reverb... I don't usually do it via Finale, Gary,
    myself. In general, I will save the sound file raw (that
    is, no Ambience on it). Then open it in an audio editor
    and do the sound treatment later. I'm not at all familiar
    with what's out there for MacIntel; but perhaps an
    approach along that line might actually be more comfortable
    and productive for you.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Though I can't quite get my hands on this music I find it intriguing.

You're a rather mysterious person and it shows in your music.

Phil

Hi David,
    So, do you wri†e †he music wi†hou† GPO and add it later?
    My comp teacher suggests that I do that, but listening in GPO changes the way the music sounds in its playback.
    Thanks,

Gary

Phil,
    I appreciate that you take the time to listen.
    I think that some of the characteristics of my music comes from the great amount of time & work that goes into it.
    I have probably put about 300 hours working on †his piece.
    I worked on one long piece for 6 months at about 30-50 hours a week.
    My greatest challenge is getting rid of extraneous material. Some phrases just seem like they should work...but they end up DELETED.
    Thanks
    Gary

Go Back to forum