• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Palmgren - Piano Preludes

Palmgren - Piano Preludes

I've been having fun browsing the Public Domain scores at www.imslp.org - I've found a LOT of very cool (and ob scure) music to enjoy there. My most recent find is Selim Palmgren, a Finnish composer. Most of you probably know my predilection for modern music and will probably find it strange that I'm drawn to this composer. This is just delightful music! The short little Preludes are wonderful, and I think I shall do all 24. Here are the first 3:
    Prelude 1
    Prelude 2
    Prelude 3

There is a short bio on Wikipedia

These are rendered in Finale 2006 with the GPO Steinway, I've cut back even further on my usual rolling reverb (just for bowser)

I'll post the whole set in this thread as I do them (to keep continuity!)

Exclamation Re: Palmgren - Piano Preludes

Hi Jonathan, I'm very glad to see here someone who not only searches the web for piano sheets like me and has found imslp.org, but also who shares my enthusiasm about Selim Palmgren!!
    Well done with those first 3 preludes!!
    I liked all three and most the third one.
    I first found his music on Naxos radio and was enchanted by its simplicity and because it's drawn from the Finnish folklore.
    There is one piece which unfortunately I couldn't find at imslp. It is 'Spring' op, 47, no. 1-Evening whispers. If you find the sheets let me know!
    Two more that I like are 'Rococo' and 'West Finnish'. (Can send you the mp3 if you'd like).
    Looking forward to more!!!

Re: Palmgren - Piano Preludes

HI, giwro_jon

Yes! I can certainly see why you were happy to find these. Straight-forward, economical and still interesting compositions.

And you've rendered them beautifully with the GPO Steinway--Complete, I duly take note, with a dialing back of your usual "rolling reverb"--lol--This sounds Much better to me. It's pulled back to the reality of being in a recital hall where the music belongs. Perfect.

Thank you!

Randy B.

Sunbird and Randy, Glad you both enjoyed these - I'll post more as I have time to render them.

I'm toying with working on the 2-piano version of the Piano Concerto, since I have both the GPO and JaBB pianos to use.

Wilton, NH

This is a composer that I am not familiar with. I like these preludes – nice and simple yet not 2 dimensional. I agree with Sunbird that the third one is my favorite. So far – can’t wait to hear more.
    Trent P. McDonald

Penfield (Rochester), NY

Yes www.imslp.org is a great place to find tons of music. Also try http://www.free-scores.com/index_uk.php3 and http://icking-music-archive.org . I have been scouring them and getting great returns for my time. There are many midi files at these sites as well for points of reference.

You musical postings are excellent! thanks.

I'm quite an admirer of preludes, the succinct economy of
    them. And these three are real gems, Jonathan, especially
    after you listen through them a few times; very nicely
    made and thought out.

Thanks again for bringing us yet another little-known writer
    who surely deserves a hearing... well done!

My best,

Pretty little preludes and your Finale GPO piano sounded really great.

I can tell you are having fun..........

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Dublin, Ireland

I enjoyed these 3 preludes a lot. They are new to me, and sound unpretentious and nicely thought out. You have rendered them sympathetically and the performances have a nice spontaneity. I suppose his "greatest hit" is his impressionistic piano piece "May Night", which sometimes figures on recordings of popular piano pieces - maybe you might consider doing this?

Shelton, Washington State

Very interesting. I liked them all but the third one was the best.

Palmgren is a swedish name so like Linus Torvalds(linux) he was of swedish heritage but finnish.

Waiting to hear more.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast