• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: "O Come, Emmanuel" orchestration

"O Come, Emmanuel" orchestration

Hi all, I am *almost* done with this -- still tweaking a bum note here, a dynamic there, etc, though. This wouldn't have necessarily been the piece I would have picked to orchestrate, but being one of the last to sign up left only a few choices. I like this carol very much, but it is very simple and that seemed to make it more of a challenge to do something interesting with it.

Dave (etLux), I liked your suggestion on an underlying chromatic treatment with the chant-like melody floating on top, but to be honest, I did not feel my composition skills were quite up to that for something on a deadline. I mean, it's one thing to write something new that is by nature dissonant, chromatic and so on (like In the Womb), but another matter to take a naturally tuneful (and well-known)
    melody and do something like that with it -- and do it skillfully. It is however, something I would like to experiment with when I don't have to worry about producing something by a certain time.

This was created solely with Finale with GPO. Special thanks to etLux (Dave) for providing me with recommended Ambience settings -- what a difference! The brass really stands out and packs a punch, and it does sound more like an orchestra in a hall than my previous feeble knob-twiddling produced. THANKS! If anyone wants to know what settings, I can point you to Dave's
    post; it was invaluable.

So, here is the almost-finished version:

Any feedback welcome, but especially feedback about the production/sound end of things (not my strongest point), or compositionally if there is anything that felt strange or awkward, ill-formed, to you as a listener.

I am posting this particular piece in part because i referred to it in the recent very long discussion on Mixing room / Listening Room / forum communication topic in General Discussion... it reminded me that silence is sometimes a good thing...

RANDY - More Christmas in July, um, I mean August now. I guess we're doing the 12 days of Christmas here... HEY! That's one I didn't think of!!!!! (Too late)... If I keep this up long enough, sooner or later it will be the right season, too.

Re: "O Come, Emmanuel" orchestration

Great writing Karen, really enjoyed it Strings and tune perc especially sound great. I like the brass in the higher registers but I think it sounds less realistic in the lower. It possibly is just the trombone sounding a little bit thin and raspy.

Well done, hope you make it onto the album

You can listen to my latest piece here -

A superb arrangement, Karen!

Impressive work on this... this is first-chair writing and
    orchestration. You left me surprised and smiling at several
    points; and though I do smile on occasion, I'm very rarely
    musically surprised... lol.

And the rendering -- by far the best I've heard from you;
    some real progress there.

Much applause!

All my best,

Kristmas with Karen again!

Oh my yes this is a fantastic arrangement of the carol. I enjoyed your phrasing throughout so much, and the new harmonies and counterparts you are using really make it come to new life.

MMmmmm, what an unexpected ending, the last 30 seconds of winding down, sustaining the minor key without getting overly somber--just maintaining the properly sober mood this particularly regal sounding carol has.

The recordings sounds great to me! Glad you've been getting tips that you're benefiting from--Sounds like you're being an excellent student!

Thank you Karen--This is wonderful.

Randy B.

Thanks, guys! It was fun doing this and I am learning more about modulation and other techniques for varying a motif.... yeah, the ending just sort of "happened" so i went with it. I'm not totally happy with it yet, but almost... i tend to obsess about a piece, listening to it over and over, and in that process begin to hear little things to add/remove/change... the old 80/20 rule, I guess (or 90/10 or whatever, like fat in hamburger ).

I really do like the contemplative inward feel of those sweet oboes (Thank you Gary and Tom, just beautiful!!) at the end (enhanced substantially by the ambience, see next paragraph...) I also love Christmas, the carols, friends and family, the feel in the air, and Christmas trees with those little multi-colored lights -- when you turn off the house lights, the sight of it transports me to a very inward place where thought just stops...

Well, chalk up the nice-sounding ambience to etLux's advice! Many thanks Dave! It may seem like a little thing to share those settings, but it made a big difference and saved me alot of blind knob twiddling, and I do mean blind (you'll see what I mean when I post some actual audio -- ie, vocals -- how rude-imentary is my knowledge of audio mastering.) Deep gratitude!

this is very great and well done!

The arrangement is very fine and the mix is also great!

I like it!

My best,

"Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Not bad for a chick. (I'm kidding...I'm kidding)

Your 'bones sound unrealistic and muddy in the low register but you can correct that. Writing harmony in that circumstance should be conservatively avoided. Octaves would probably have been better but certainly not thirds that low.

I like your overall big, full sound. That's nice. Thanks for posting.

Larry G. Alexander

Very sophisticated effects in there Karen.

I'd suggest like Larry that you see if you can get a more realistic sound on the trombones. Also they take the lead at one point and I kept wanting them to be closer to the center of the stereo picture.

Also there's a xylophone (?) part that could be quieter in the mix. That instrument is so high pitched and resonant I think it would cut through the mix even with the fader lower.

Apart from that you have some lovely textures happening.
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

Karen, I like your arrangement. It has a big sound when its needed, and a lighter touch when that is called for. Good job.

Hello Karen,

If listen to your beautiful composition. I'd like to say you that you have done here a very nice job. I like it and it's well orchestrated. Bravo !

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast