• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: A distinguished new member of our forum...

Share/Bookmark

A distinguished new member of our forum...

All,

I am pleased to announce that Steve Sample has joined our forum. (What an appropriate last name!)

Steve is a retired professor of music. He was a member of the University of Alabama music faculty for 35 years. He taught theory and composition and arranged music for the marching band from 1955-1973. He started the Jazz Ensemble in 1967/68. Steve established a program offering Bachelor and Masters degrees in arranging. He uses FINALE on his Mac computer. He lives in Bellingham, Washington.

Steve is an incredible big-band jazz composer and arranger. You are going to love his work, I am sure. His expertise will be invaluable to everyone and we are fortunate to have him as a member of our group.

Welcome, Steve!

My best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: A distinguished new member of our forum...

That are great wonderful news!

Hello Steve and welcome!

My best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Welcome aboard, Dr. Sample - (appropriate last name indeed! )

Since, as Larry explained, you've been using Finale on your Mac, perhaps you've looked it at various online music Forums. If you have, I am confident that you will find this to be an excellent group to be part of, more friendly and more active than most.

A vast amount of music is shared on a routine basis in The Listening Room; Gary Garritan and his team help people out with technical issues in the various tech Forums; and here in General Discussion--most Anything is likely to pop up, from theoretical musical questions, off-the-wall humor, and--threads like this one to welcome a new member.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you, and Larry has certainly whetted my appetite to hear some big-band Jazz pieces from you - hope you're able to post some sounds for us soon!

Good move, Larry, to introduce us to Dr. Sample this way - Rolling out the red carpet for new members is something we could do more often around here!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    All,

I am pleased to announce that Dr. Steve Sample has joined our forum. (What an appropriate last name!)

Dr. Sample is a retired professor of music. He was a member of the University of Alabama music faculty for 35 years. He taught theory and composition and arranged music for the marching band from 1955-1973. He started the Jazz Ensemble in 1967/68. Steve established a program offering Bachelor and Masters degrees in arranging. He uses FINALE on his Mac computer. He lives in Bellingham, Washington.

Steve is an incredible big-band jazz composer and arranger. You are going to love his work, I am sure. His expertise will be invaluable to everyone and we are fortunate to have him as a member of our group.

Welcome, Steve!

My best,

Larry
    A warm welcome to our community Steve.

Thanks for the introduction Larry, you are a true gent sir
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Thumbs up Re: A distinguished new member of our forum...

A very warm welcome Dr. Sample!

You are going to love his work
    I am sure we will Larry. I'm very excited to hear a sample () of his work with Garritan Marching Band Library. This is great news!
    Styxx

Welcome Dr. Sample
    Dan

A Warm Welcome!

Thumbs up Re: A distinguished new member of our forum...

Welcome Dr. Steve Sample!

We are honored and very appreciative to have you join us. Looking forward to hearing your music.

Best Regards,
    David

Steve:

Welcome to the best music Forum in the world. We pride ourselves on being able to help one another to accomplish the best sounding music each individual is capable.

We are happy to have another real educator and music professional among us and look forward to hearing some of your greatest charts/scores.

Regards,

Jack Cannon
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Many thanks to all who have so graciously greeted me, with a special thanks to Larry Alexander, a fellow septenagerian, who like myself, still likes to dabble (or in our case, dribble) in the arts. I can't help but wonder that if everything Larry said about me is true, why am I still so poor?

Larry gave me a promotion that I did not earn. I do not have a doctorate. When I was pursuing my bachelors and masters degrees, there were no doctorates being offered in my area of interest, plus by then, after High School, 3 years on the road with traveling dance bands, 4 years in the USAF, and 7 years of college, I decided it was time to make up my mind and settle down.
    I haven't written a note by hand since 1988 when I got my first Mac SE with the 9 inch screen and the first FINALE program. Now, after much angst, frustration and cursing, I have become quite adept at the art of notation, printing, etc. but I am still a babe in the woods with all of the new technology involved in sequencing with samples (damn., there's that word again) and the like, thus my reason for being here. I desparately need help from all of the "Doogie Hausers of the electronic music world!"
    I have a G5 Mac and a G4 Mac with 12 GB of Ram in the G5. I have the latest FINALE 2008, with all of it's built ins and now the complete Kontakt program. And I thought retirement would be easy!
    I'm happy to be here and some of you will probably be hearing from me anon.
    Steve

Go Back to forum