• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: High Resolution instrument control

Share/Bookmark

High Resolution instrument control

Jeremy Soule, on his myspace blog, stated that he recorded his new score (Guild Wars: Eye of the North) using a new "high resolution instrument control", which he claims is 100X more powerful than what he usually uses. I can tell you, the recording sounds amazing. I would love to get my hands on the software behind those sounds and was wondering...does that term mean anything to anyone? Any thoughts on what he's using?

here's the link. check out the top song:
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=61514897

Re: High Resolution instrument control

WIVI. That's what it sounds like to me.

Remember that Guild Wars: Prophecies was perhaps in the 2004 territory for J. Soule. I had hoped J. S. had used some of WIVI in GW: Eye of the North (perhaps I should suggest this to him, assuming he does not yet know enough about it); if he did, in the song he posted, he did a competent job of shaping the instruments' timbres. However, the F. Horn sounds to me like the same one he's been using for years, and the trumpet sounds like it has 3 velocity layers (at least in the staccati). It may be that he has moved up from the modest-resolution modwheel, and is using more controls on the sustains (similar to DEF filters, and so forth). Who knows until he answers the question about the high res. instrument control at his blog.
    [Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    True. But there is no reason to think he wouldn't still mix and match, inspite of WIVI (or whatever he's refering to).
    As I've written above, I had hoped he'd used "some of WIVI." We agree about it. I just didn't tell you that I first thought I'd like to hear him use it in June and July, before J. S. posted his early August blog entry.]
    Cheers,
    Chris

True. But there is no reason to think he wouldn't still mix and match, inspite of WIVI (or whatever he's refering to).

Do you think he's only referring to brass? WIVI would certainly make sense to me in that case. I got the impression he was referring to his entire orchestra. Any other thoughts?

Well - to my knowledge the only company with new technology and an entire orchestra right around the corner is A.I. (Audio Impressions). So perhaps he is using that.

In my humble opinion the track in question does not sound like anything todays samples can't do.

It is very great what he did!

I like his work!

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

He talks about instrument control, not about an instrument.
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

My guess is a Wii control. It's great for midi, and much fun.
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F
    My guess is a Wii control. It's great for midi, and much fun.

May do jokes without the use of smileys ...
    Would this be one of the jokes?
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

Go Back to forum