• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Salve Regina

Share/Bookmark

Salve Regina

I promised I'd post one with vocals on it no matter how good or bad it turned out, so here it is.

First I'll repeat the explanation of the project. All the pieces in this series are designed to fade into silence to introduce a period of silent meditation. I want the music to be reasonably interesting for 1'00" or so, to draw listeners' attention away from their everyday concerns, but then it should intentionally become less interesting, so that the listener prefers to settle into silence rather than wanting to hear more music. The fade-out is complete at 1'30".

So here's what I have set up in Sonar. These are all GPO in one instance of the Kontakt Player that comes with GPO:

1. Solo Violin same part as Violins 1 but weaves in and out. 25R.
    2. Lush Violins 1. 25R.
    3. Lush Violins 2. 25L.
    4. Solo Viola same part as Violas A but weaves in and out. 75L.
    5. Lush Violas A. 75L.
    6. Lush Violas B. 50L.
    7. Lush Cellos. 50R.
    8. Lush Basses. 75R.

The Strings bus has Ambience Concert Hall 1 at -10 dB dry, 0 dB wet.

The vocal parts are derived from a single track (though that track is assembled as a collage of 4 takes).

Vocal 1. Pitch corrected in Melodyne. 4:1 compression. Boost EQ in 12-20 kHz range. Pan Center.

Vocals 2&3. Pitch shifted up to harmonizing notes in Melodyne. 10:1 compression. Boost EQ in 12-20 kHz range. Delay parts by 10 or 20ms after main vocal. Pan 80L and 80R respectively.

The Vocals bus has Ambience Cathedral at -infinity dB dry, 0 dB wet.

Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

Re: Salve Regina

Hey,

that is coool!

Please continue it!

My best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Excellent start...please continue!!!

The inclusion of voice is quite interesting and challanging.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Hi, Diligamus

I've been enjoying all your meditation pieces, now including this new one. Each one has been unique, which is an accomlishment in itself, considering the same meditative purpose for all of them, and the time restraint you have on what their length can be.

--side note to Gunther: He's writing all of these to be just over a minute long, to set the mood preceding a period of silent meditation--used at his church. So he's not planning on expanding the lengths--this and the others he's posted are complete.

Tell me though--are supposed to be understanding what the vocals are saying? I wasn't at all sure they WEre vocals, since they're mixed so low and blend so much with the instruments, but then I could hear the consonants and realized they were vocals. Extremely wet with reverb, and very processed sounding so that to me they've actually become some new instrumental sound, not so much vocals. --? The effect for me was a bit scary--! I think to have far less distant and more distinct vocals would give this a more peaceful, meditative feel, rather than this rather eerie sci-fi kind of sound.

Speaking of reverb, I don't understand why you're changing the dry/wet percentages in the Ambience plugins, since you're using Sonar and uses buses. If you keep those to the default 100% wet, zero dry, then you control the amount of reverb by using Sends on your track channels. What you're doing works, but it's much more limiting to what variations of reverb you can add to different tracks - ?

Good work, and thanks for putting it up here, I just think you could massage this one a bit more to fit its purpose more appropriately.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-

--side note to Gunther: He's writing all of these to be just over a minute long, to set the mood preceding a period of silent meditation--used at his church. So he's not planning on expanding the lengths--this and the others he's posted are complete.

(rbowser)
    Randy, please, can you say this with other words..., I think I can`t translate it right into my language..... .

Hi, Gunther - sure, let me give that a try. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Diligamus is writing short pieces of music for his church. They are used to set the mood for prayer and meditation. After around one minute of music, it fades out so the congregation can then sit in silent meditation afterwards.

I do believe I have that right. And that is why I am fairly certain he doesn't plan on writing longer versions of these pieces.

And I mentioned that because you said you hope he continues developing the music to be longer.

Correct, Diligamus?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hi, Gunther - sure, let me give that a try. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Diligamus is writing short pieces of music for his church. They are used to set the mood for prayer and meditation. After around one minute of music, it fades out so the congregation can then sit in silent meditation afterwards.

I do believe I have that right. And that is why I am fairly certain he doesn't plan on writing longer versions of these pieces.

And I mentioned that because you said you hope he continues developing the music to be longer.

Correct, Diligamus?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Ah, thank you Randy! Now I understand.

Oh yeah, I whished me that he would write longer versions of these pieces, because I like it very what he did!

Thanks again my friend to help me to understand right!

Gunther, Gary, Randy, thanks for your support to continue. Now that I listen to it again I see a few points where the vocals need more fixing, but your posts encourage me to go ahead and do the work.

Randy -- low vocals with buckets of reverb, yes! That's to cover up my voice. I'll experiment with the effects send level in Sonar when I do it again.

You are right about the project -- this one is about 3'00" long altogether (I already have the strings but not the vocals), but only the first 1'30" and the last 1'00" will ever be audible. The completed version will be 27'30" with the middle 25'00" being silence.
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

This music has something special that is not easy to put into words. It is very effective in reaching deep past the listening experience. It's magnificent, a rare gem. You have quite a gift!

David

Hi diligamus,

Nice piece! I enjoy the calmness. The fade out effect is very, erm, effective. I like the ethereal vocals. Better to meditate with the voice and vague lyrics anyhow, if you ask me. Very churchy

I'm a little concerned about what it would sound like on playback in the church environment. I know my church has a pretty high ceiling and very reverberant qualities. I don't know yours at all, but the combination of natural reverb and the track's reverb might make it very difficult to discern the song.

Best,
    Reegs

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast