• Register
  • Help

Topic: Just a thought - no music

Share/Bookmark

Just a thought - no music

Sometime there are remarks as :"I don't hear any GPO instruments in this piece (or very little)".

Strange remarks. I always thought that people MUST NOT HEAR THAT IT IS GPO but the real instruments [or at least a close a can be]. When you hear that it is GPO, than GPO has a distinct sound and that is something we always want to avoid and Garry also [making it as realistic as .....].

Raymond

Re: Just a thought - no music

Hi, Raymond - Good topic.

We'll probably get this re-directed to the General Discussion board, and if so, please don't worry about that. It's just that space is at a premium here in The Listening Room, and members need all the space that can be provided for posting music.

"...I always thought that people MUST NOT HEAR THAT IT IS GPO but the real instruments [or at least a close a can be]. When you hear that it is GPO, than GPO has a distinct sound and that is something we always want to avoid..."

It's been true ever since I've been a MIDI musician (20 years now - !) that the unique sound of each individual synth or library becomes something recognizable to musicians using those instruments. No matter how "good" or "realistic" a synth patch or sample is, musicians pick up on the characteristics specific to that sound.

Over the years, one of the driving factors for keyboardists to keep getting new synths is that they want new sounds which nobody will recognize - As soon as that synth's sound becomes well known from much use, then the musician wants to move on to the next new thing.

It still holds true nowadays - Some musicians get concerned about other musicians being able to say, "Oh, that's GPO" or "That's VSL" - as if it's a negative thing for the sound source to be recognized.

But my point is that from repeated listening and use, ANY "virtual instrument" is going to become recognizable. Most of us can spot a GPO Trumpet quickly, for instance, because it has a unique sound unlike any other Trumpet. One of the GPO Solo Oboes is in stereo, and that helps earmark its signature sound- and so forth.

So in my opinion it's impossible to avoid having your library or synth from being identified by at least some people. There's no way to completely disguise your source--and in my opinion, it's a waste of time trying to do that.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Raymond, you worry too much bud. GPO is as distinct as any other sound except the sound is GPO and not the other sound ... see? Let's have lunch and dwell on the mysteries of distinctive similarities.
    Styxx

This same concept of recognition applies to live musicians as well, just to a lesser extent, because the sound is more varied. But any time when you work with the same group of live musicians for an extended period of time, you pick up on each person's particular playing style.

Each sample library will have its own particularly recognizeable samples. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing; it's basically the same as working with the same live players. If you liked how your orchestra sounded but after awhile everyone could recognize the viola soloist, you wouldn't replace her, would you? (Unless the soloist is recognizeable for horrible performances or something...) No, it just is as it is.
    Best of luck,
    David Guinness

Dell P4 2.66GHz, 2GB RAM, Windows XP Pro SP2, Finale 2007c, GPO and JABB with KP2
    HP AMD 2.3Ghz Dual, 3GB RAM, Vista Home Premium, Finale 2008, GPO, JABB, Gofriller Solo Cello with KP2

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hi, Raymond - Good topic.

We'll probably get this re-directed to the General Discussion board, and if so, please don't worry about that. It's just that space is at a premium here in The Listening Room, and members need all the space that can be provided for posting music.
    Oh, did I do that? Sorry, my fault. It was meant for the General Discussion.
    Must have been one of my "down" days.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Raymond, you worry too much bud. GPO is as distinct as any other sound except the sound is GPO and not the other sound ... see? Let's have lunch and dwell on the mysteries of distinctive similarities.
    I am not worrying. Just asking why. Sometimes I get such strange thoughts I have to share that with others..... if you don't mind.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by David Guinness
    If you liked how your orchestra sounded but after awhile everyone could recognize the viola soloist, you wouldn't replace her, would you? (Unless the soloist is recognizeable for horrible performances or something...) No, it just is as it is.
    Just like your Avatar. It is beer, but very distinguishable (and I like it).
    Salud!

Raymond

Dear Raymond,
    Thanks for sharing your "interesting thoughts"; I must agree everyone’s mentioning here that it’s pretty normal! It does not sound that bad in "particularly recognizable samples", in other words.

Say that it reminds me a few (classic/collection) analog/digital Synthesizers like Yamaha DX7, Sequential-Circuit Prophet-5/VS, Roland D50, etc, due to it sounds pretty distinguishingly to other sounds.

Other similarity is even for the most of famous Composers, by listening to the particular songs; it might be distinguished that who is the composer without knowing it in advanced!

Anyway, it’s good to know but not to worry about IMO!

My best,

Long

Go Back to forum