• Register
  • Help

Topic: For The RMX (beginning) Intermediate

Share/Bookmark

For The RMX (beginning) Intermediate

I am certainly not trying to come off like some know it all because if there is one thing I know, it's that I will be asking my next question all too soon. I thought it would be cool to share my recent approach to using the Stylus RMX plug in. Shamefully I have still not watched all the Stylus videos but I am constantly improving. So please understand this post is coming from a context that both hopes for suggested improvements as well as possibly someone like myself that is somewhat a novice at Stylus may in fact learn something.

I make no apologies for using Live 6.0, but I do sincerely apologize that I am familiar with no other host at this time. So please know that the following template is set up using Live 6.0.

I recently designed a basic Live 6.0 set template that I call the "RMX Think Tank" I have only used it for a few days and already I have enjoyed tremendous productivity as a result. It requires 9 midi tracks & two audio tracks. I typically start and work from the session view perspective in Live and this is how it's laid out:

The first two tracks starting on the left of the screen are audio tracks. Track 1 is for dedicated to audio input from the main Stylus midi track (Track 3) itself. Track 2 is for resampling. By turning up or down the Stylus Mixer, I can tailer what this track resamples with perfect duplication. Can you say "whack that sound menu sample Gomer!" ? Tracks 4 through 11 are the midi tracks used to host 8 of the Stylus midi channels. (I have heard that Stylus can actually do 16 simultaneous, but have not found out yet how, this may be a missunderstanding on my part however) What I have been doing since the "Stylus Think Tank's" inception is using the first 4 of these tracks for Suite Elements, the next 2 tracks host Sound Menu samples and the last two are currently being used for yet two more Suite Elements. In the future however, I can in my crafty little diabolic mind envision those last two tracks being devoted to my self generated imported Rex files via Recycle.

What this Live set format does is allow me to switch between Stylus as a resampled single tracked stereo Groove Module plug in, or by pre-loading files that are dragged into Live's tracks, I can sequence & mix these tracks & their contained beat file variations (enter chaos) to eternity. This being all the while I control both Live's mixer/effects as well as the Stylus mixer/effects via midi remote control to automate the live set as it records to the arrangement view format.

If the object is to provide a percussion landscape to improvise over, I am pretty much done after I save the set. Just pack up the laptop, hit the corresponding midi mapped "play" button on my controller and it's off to the races on stage or in the studio. If I want to add the arrangement set to a present or future composition , I render the arrangement to disc and add it to any session view at anytime.

Please let me kno what you think and what improvements or enhancements you would recommend.

Thanks!
    Last edited by DrXparaMental; 08-07-2007 at 04:19 PM. Reason: correction
    Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. I think it's in my basement... let me go upstairs and check.
    M. C. Escher

Re: For The RMX (beginning) Intermediate

That's a really cool approach! Love you're ideas about always being ready to resample it too. :-)

Any other interesting approaches people are doing?

Thanks for sharing!

spectrum

PS. RMX has 8 MIDI Channels. If you want 16, you have to know the secret Sea Monkey passcode. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    PS. RMX has 8 MIDI Channels. If you want 16, you have to know the secret Sea Monkey passcode. ;-)
    sorry eric, but it's not so secret: "one more instance"

Where do you type that?

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    That's a really cool approach! Love you're ideas about always being ready to resample it too. :-)

Any other interesting approaches people are doing?

Thanks for sharing!

spectrum

Thanks Eric! Man, now this makes my day. :-)

Here is a cool trick that might inspire some more Stylus RMX conversation. I inadvertently found out about this playing with the sound menus via the Live 6.0 sequencer/STT. I am certain many others already know and use this.

Let's say that the Stylus host's (in this case Ableton's Live 6.0) session view template is dialed into STT (Stylus Think Tank) mode which is described in the initial post in this thread. Eliminate (delete) midi tracks 4-7 to make things simple for this example. You are now left with 7 active tracks. The first two are audio that are respectively set to source input from midi track 3 & the other to ReSample, the next track is the main Stylus RMX midi host track 3 where the module itself is located, the next two tracks contain our Stylus channel designated sample routing back to Stylus & the last two are what in this example can be called "trigger tracks". These last two midi tracks contain any Suite Element midi files drug from the Stylus "Midi File Section" (blue back lit display on the left of the browser containing the element's names that you are about to drag) to the scene one slot spaces in each of the last two Live midi tracks. Then, by choosing the Stylus Mixer screen via the chooser buttons in the footer, adjust your desired volume and effects on channels 5-8 so that these channels are all mixed as being clearly audible.Lastly, make certain you set the midi input or "from" the chooser in the two Stylus sampling midi tracks to receive midi from the last two midi tracks that contain the Stylus RMX midi files.

*Note: It's easiest when making these prepared Stylus RMX/Live 6.0 templates, to deactivate "auto hide plug ins" from the Live Preferences folder.

You are now set up to do several very cool things.

Making sure that your Live sequencer's "auto record metronome" is lit, arm audio track one's record button. Disarm (if any are already armed) any and all other tracks so that they do not start recording when you activate a global play feature in the Live sequencer. Go to the far right and click on Live's "scene 1 launch" button. Two things are happening now. The first of which is that the Stylus midi files that were drug into the last two tracks are sounding 2 different Suite Element grooves (one per track), and secondly, audio track 1 is now recording all audible results from the Stylus RMX mixer. By clicking on either of the two sample track's "record arm" buttons, the samples that we selected earlier from the Sound Menu become audible and are recorded to audio track one's input. Clicking again on the same track arm buttons creates a "punch out" in terms of recorded samples that are being triggered constantly via the last two midi tracks.

Here is one COOL advantage to using the Stylus sound menu sample banks this way. As long as you do not attempt to change the sample Suite or the specific sample Elements while their live host's tracks are armed (making noise) you get none of the dreaded "midi feedback" or what I sometimes call random hard drive allocation manic depression (RHDAMD) ;-) when you choose different sample elements or suites on the fly.

Many of you might being thinking to yourselves, "this guy is such a complete manic degenerate!, this is more of that chaotic musical nonsense." Whereas I wouldn't waste your or my time by arguing the point, I would say to all the "would be" sly DJs out there, "stop and consider the possibilities here home slice"

If anyone goes to the trouble of using the STT with CPU issues in mind, you find out real quick that providing you are using a decent, nothing too special, but current LAPTOP...you're just fine. Imagine you open up the floor using the above approach, the world is your beatbox Jackson. You are covered here no matter how you slice it. (PI) You can Groove, Hook, Loop, Stack, Sequence, Slice & Slam until everyone's feet are on fire and never miss a trick.

When you combine the above method of groove based triggered sampling along with the constant resample trick that relates back to the Stylus Mixer from the initial post, this gets intense and remains quite CPU friendly. Although, I don't recommend resampling more than 6 midi tracks at a time with 2 gig of RAM or under, just to be safe when your out there performing live.

To make life ultimately simple on yourself, "duplicate" clips from stylus and that which you record 4 scenes deep. Insert a blank scene every four or eight at most. Try experimenting with different "default record bar" settings, I have found 1 bar to be an excellent setting that rarely if ever looses sync.You can always make your clips as long as you like, but I find that 4 bars is just as good as eight and you tend not to loose track of your melodies or synth arpeggiations as often. That being as long as you keep up with your sequencer programming. That's where Live's follow actions come in VERY handy. Not to mention that as my mind focuses on the follow action programming, my ADD doesn't get the better of me and get everyone in the audience car sick with the mix. ;-)
    Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. I think it's in my basement... let me go upstairs and check.
    M. C. Escher

Go Back to forum