• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Gabrielli - Ricercare Primo Tono Brass

Share/Bookmark

Gabrieli - Ricercare Primo Tono Brass

Andrea Gabrielli, uncle to the more famous Giovanni Gabrieli, composed this wonderful brass composition "Ricercare Primo Tono Brass". The ricercare is a counterpoint form, originally improvisatory in style, these embellished, unaccompanied melodies were similar to preludes of the same period. From the late 16th-century, the name became associated also with contrapuntal polyphonic writing, first in two parts and later expanding to four.

In this work the theme is restarted many times in different tempo relationships, ever changing throughout the work. Here the brass quartet is performed by the following GPO instruments;

Trumpet 1 Player 1
    Trumpet 2 Player 1
    French Horn 1 Player 1
    Tenor Trombone 1

www.garybricault.com/mp3/GabrieliRicerarePrimoTonoBrass.mp3

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Re: Gabrielli - Ricercare Primo Tono Brass

Hey Gary,
    Great rendering on this. I'm not too familiar with this composer but I'm guessing late baroque / early classical (ish). I always get intimidated by the whole practice of strict contrapuntal polyphonic writing. I just hope I do it it naturally in my own works to a degree. Thanks for this post - very interesting and educational.

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor
    Hey Gary,
    Great rendering on this. I'm not too familiar with this composer but I'm guessing late baroque / early classical (ish). I always get intimidated by the whole practice of strict contrapuntal polyphonic writing. I just hope I do it it naturally in my own works to a degree. Thanks for this post - very interesting and educational.

Michael
    HI Michael,

I am more familiar with the works of the "other" Gabrielli and in the mid 1500's. But I found this work to be very enjoyable, different in construction, but nevertheless a geat work. I think the GPO brass gave it a proper presentation in my desktop chathederal. But nothing beats the real thing!

Gary

www.garybricault.com

This is a beautiful rendition of a most classic piece of Andrea Gabrieli (born circa 1532 and uncle to the more famous Giovanni). Nicely done. I would only like to hear use of breath marks (since I play tis stuff, I know I need to breath). It would truly make this piece sound 'live'. Other than that, the piece sounds great on my laptop cathedral!
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

These early pieces make a nice palate-cleanser from later music. I like the way you introduce us to these new composers Gary. Your rendering is very enjoyable -- I didn't hear a single thing I'd want to change!
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

Thumbs up Re: Gabrielli - Ricercare Primo Tono Brass

I love this kind of work. The composer is new to me and I am glad to be introduced to him. Gary, you have done a great job using GPO to render the piece!

To my ears the reverb is a bit much as it is muddying the sound a bit. This is personal preference as what you have now is a more realistic setting given the venue you have chosen for the `players'. However, I like to be spoiled. I don't want to have to strain to hear some of the parts, I would rather be able to relax and listen to them interact with each other naturally. I'm thinking that perhaps some pre-delay on the reverb would bring some of the instruments forward a bit and accomplish this.

Will you be posting more of Gabrielli's work?

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer
    This is a beautiful rendition of a most classic piece of Andrea Gabrieli (born circa 1532 and uncle to the more famous Giovanni). Nicely done. I would only like to hear use of breath marks (since I play tis stuff, I know I need to breath). It would truly make this piece sound 'live'. Other than that, the piece sounds great on my laptop cathedral!
    William,

Glad you liked the piece. It is certainly different from the works of the nephew Giovanni.

I have looked at the breath marks in the past and have gotten funny results with the Human Playback of Finale. Also, if I stuck them in someone else would insist they go elsewhere. In a large performance setting you can't really make out the breaks that well anyhow. Yeah, I play trumpet too. My computer has better endurance however.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by diligamus
    These early pieces make a nice palate-cleanser from later music. I like the way you introduce us to these new composers Gary. Your rendering is very enjoyable -- I didn't hear a single thing I'd want to change!
    Thanks and I am glad that you enjoyed it. Imagine what the people of the time thought when they heard it, new, bold sounding in the great halls of Europe. I think that the GPO gives what is required of the piece.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by LFO
    I love this kind of work. The composer is new to me and I am glad to be introduced to him. Gary, you have done a great job using GPO to render the piece!
    Thanks Kevin. It is a stunning work, and the Ricercare form is certainly different from the other styles of counterpoint more commonly heard.

To my ears the reverb is a bit much as it is muddying the sound a bit. This is personal preference as what you have now is a more realistic setting given the venue you have chosen for the `players'. However, I like to be spoiled. I don't want to have to strain to hear some of the parts, I would rather be able to relax and listen to them interact with each other naturally. I'm thinking that perhaps some pre-delay on the reverb would bring some of the instruments forward a bit and accomplish this.
    I am using notation Finale 2006 for the note input and playback through the GPO instruments. I use only the Ambience that is bundled with GPO. I have tuned the spacial settings to my liking for echo, fullness and clarity. The pre-delay is throttled back from the default 6msec to 3msec to gain clarity as well as reduced Diffusion from 50% to 30%.

I have had problems with the breath marks doing strange things with the Finale Human Playback. Plus everyone has their own opinion where they belong. So I did not try to put them in. In the large hall setting they are not very apparent anyhow I find.

Will you be posting more of Gabrielli's work?

-Kevin
    I posted the Giovanni Gabrielli "Canzona Spititata" last week. It is on page 2 of the forum right now. But here it the direct link to it.

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=55128

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Nice job on this old favorite, Gary; I enjoyed listening.

I have a suspicion brass players from that era were
    able to breath through their eyeballs, by the way.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast