• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Prelude in c minor

Dublin, Ireland

Prelude in c minor

I held this prelude, rather romantic in style, back from posting for a while, as I had some reservations with it as a composition. It exists in a few guises, with various instrumention combinatioms. However I think on reflection that the piano version is closest to the heart of the piece. Anway on a re-listen I think it is time to "release" it, for better or worse!
    So here it is, GPO Steinway of course.

Re: Prelude in c minor

Begorrah! That is wonderful, Lad! You are a first-class composer.

Thank you for posting this lovely work. I enjoyed every note and I love your major seventh ending.

My best,

Larry G. Alexander

Dublin, Ireland

Top of the morning (or is it afternoon?), Larry!
    As always your response and comments are greatly appreciated.
    Glad you enjoyed the prelude - it gave me a few problems, not so much in overall shape, but in ironing out the smaller details.
    Thanks again for your reply.

How nice, a very beautiful melody!

I enjoyed listening very! A great composition and sounding!

My Best

"Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Hi Eugene,

Very beautiful indeed. And you're right; I have a hard time imagining this piece on any other instrument. The rubato playing style was nice, and great pedal work too. All in all a fine piece.

Thumbs up Re: Prelude in c minor

Wow. That is fantastic. A little Brahms, a little Satie... a lot of passion no matter which way you cut it. I'd label it more in the post-romantic vein than as a romantic piece, though.

Love the chromaticism. Some very rich writing in there. Also, very well "played" on the GPO Steinway.

I also agree with Larry - love the M7 ending. There is nothing to have reservations about here. Bravo.

ETA: Did you try it as a harp piece? Would take a bit of reworking perhaps but I can see it working well on the harp - but probably not as well as the piano. I can't "hear" it with other instruments.
    Last edited by ALynn; 08-08-2007 at 11:42 AM. Reason: eta

Hello, Eugene

It's intriguing to try picturing your Prelude in the other guises you mention, with different instrumentation. It's difficult to imagine, since it's so perfect as a piano solo.

Superb Romantic piece full of subtle emotion as well as bold drama, and a more effective performance on the GPO Steinway is impossible to imagine.

---leaping to feet to applaud -

Randy B.

Terrific work!

It's difficult to pinpoint a singular influence here... A delightful blend of Modern and Romanticism.

Works wonderfully as a piano solo... But then perhaps adding a cello can also create a unique feel.

Very well done!

What a wonderful delight to hear this prelude and in your special way of playing!
    So well composed, such a romantic theme and with such delicate nuances here and there...!
    Another piece I would love to play on my piano!
    Can't wait for your next composition...

Smile Re: Prelude in c minor

I am on listen #4 here and am still entranced. Seriously. What is so captivating is that I hear romantacism mixed with some modern influences that seem to weave in and out with each other. The balance between the two is fascinating, I can't say I've heard anything quite like it.

Although I would say piano is the best choice for the piece I can hear both violin and flute. A minimalist arrangement to be sure for the melodic narrative and probably not piano.

This piece fits the Garritan Steinway extremely well. To me it is a showcase for the product. It makes me want to go out and buy it that is for sure! What controller did you use for playing the piece? Something with great touch to be sure...

We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast