• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Movement V - The Return

Share/Bookmark

Movement V - The Return

I decided to add a fifth and final movement to my Symphonic Poem 'The Reach Beyond Tomorrow'. This is the start of that final movement. It is to represent the return of the civilization and it's triumph over its Impending Doom (First Movement). This is only the exposition and I need to complete the form with a development and the return (recapitulation).

Since I respect the members of this forum, I am open to suggestions on how you would proceed with the development. I am a bit stuck and wouldn't mind a little prodding.

This was written in Finale '08 and rendered by Sonar HS 6. Each part has its own wave file and can be controlled from the console. I want the voices to be prominent.

Take a listen to the beginning of: The Return
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Movement V - The Return

Hello, Bill

This is exciting - both the music you just posted, and hearing you talk about being in the process of still working on this, feeling a bit stuck, wanting to stop and share what you have so far - It all sure makes for a dynamic moment here in the LR. Thanks for including us.

Here's a sketchy idea for what could maybe happen in the next development section- Following this very energetic, inspiring "return to civilization," could there be a reminder of the "impending doom" which is being conquered? A less melodically grounded section which never returns to the full darkness of your previous sections of this piece, but something which at least begins in a contrasting minor key - is the remnants of "doom"--and with the main purpose of the devlopment being to sweep through that doom, like a plane plowing through clouds, to emerge again to your final recapitulation in a new key?

Something like that?

Music that speeds up my heart rate - Love it.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Hey Bill,
    What a very triumphant beginning! Enjoyed the use of soft snare drums and full orchestra crescendos. As far as development, hmmmmmmm, not sure. What I do is take "snippets" of the main themes and start to play with them. You could change note lengths, tempos, swap instrument sections, transpose, etc. Maybe do a more percussive part with snare, timpani, and staccato hits of the brass and/or strings.? Hope this helps a bit.
    A great start! Please keep us updated.

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

RBOWSER - I like your suggestion. It will be an excercise in recapturing the "doom" and then negating it with the triumphant return.

MICHAEL - yes, I can incorporate 'snippets and thrash them around, anoither good idea.

Thanks guys for taking the time to respond.

Challenge #10 Winner

That's great, Bill, if anything said on the thread here helps spark your piece on.

Yeah, a bit of the "doom" for the development section - but always as a memory which is now in check, "Remember that bad ol' doom-yeah, well this theme is here to kick it around and whup it into submission for good!" hehe--um, something like that.

Look forward to hearing more as you work away at it.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Ooh, a work in progress to contribute to. Here's my idea. I like all the many incidents in themselves. What I felt it needed was a repeated accompaniment to tie them all together. Mentally I heard cellos and basses doing something rhythmic like the snare. There. Is that any use as a suggestion?
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

William,

Nice work on this work in progress so far. I think I agree with diligamus there needs to be something to fill it out in the middle and lower end more. You have pieces of it going on, high parts in motion but the lower voices maybe a little too static or chordal. But it does have a lot going for it, nice musical twists and turns and a definate feeling of returning home.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Really nice triumphant finish here, this fifth movement.

My two cents would be at the end to repeat the opening refrains of this movement at the end, but much slowed down...

Quote Originally Posted by diligamus
    Ooh, a work in progress to contribute to. Here's my idea. I like all the many incidents in themselves. What I felt it needed was a repeated accompaniment to tie them all together. Mentally I heard cellos and basses doing something rhythmic like the snare. There. Is that any use as a suggestion?
    That's a very good suggestion and could also supply material for the development, thanks for listening.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBric
    William,

Nice work on this work in progress so far. I think I agree with diligamus there needs to be something to fill it out in the middle and lower end more. You have pieces of it going on, high parts in motion but the lower voices maybe a little too static or chordal. But it does have a lot going for it, nice musical twists and turns and a definate feeling of returning home.

Gary

www.garybricault.com
    Yes that is a good suggestion, maybe a counterpoint to what the upper voices are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanPerkins
    Really nice triumphant finish here, this fifth movement.

My two cents would be at the end to repeat the opening refrains of this movement at the end, but much slowed down...
    That was my intention, but not slower. I like that idea too, a much more dramatic and triumphant display by slowing it down.

This is wonderful, you all have my imagination running again. (I hate it when the record gets stuck and it keeps playng the same part, over and over and over...

Thanks all

Challenge #10 Winner

William, off to an excellent, strong start on this, and I'm
    looking forward to the completion of the movement, as
    I've followed this work all the way along. (I don't know
    if I ever mentioned, I once was something of a SciFi
    addict... lol.)

I've never been much for telling people how to write
    what they're writing, as you well know, my friend. But
    I will comment that there's a certain Heinleinesque
    grandness of vision to the concept.

Shoot for wide, broad, and high ground, William!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Farmer in the Sky?

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast