• Register
  • Help

Topic: Differences between Hammerfall DSP 9632 and M-Audio Delta 192?

Share/Bookmark

Differences between Hammerfall DSP 9632 and M-Audio Delta 192?

I would like to know what's the difference between those cards.

Re: Differences between Hammerfall DSP 9632 and M-Audio Delta 192?

The easiest way is to go to the manufacturer's site and look at the specs.

RME cards come with a great metering tool for RMS and VU, and all the calculations for that are done in hardware.
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Steve_Karl:
    I did it already and everything seems to be equal.

Hannes_F:
    Thanks, do you know if the Hammefall is worth the money?
    with the price of a 9632 I can buy two Delta 192 and I still have money for something else.

enb,

I buyed two RME Hammerfall 9636 (without HDSP) for about 150 EUR each and am very happy with them, one in the master, one in the slave. When I build my next PC slave I will put them both into the slaves and put a HDSP version into the master DAW because of the matrix mixer.

That is all I can say, sorry for not being more specific. It just works, and I am glad I have one road works less.

Hannes

Hannes_F thanks for the advice, now I would like to know what's does HDSP adds to the card?

I'm waiting basically for the without HDSPe (PCI express version) 9632 so I'm also wondering if they will release a PCIe version of the non HDSP.

The non-HDSP version is older and not manufactured any more. Many people that run professional studios run them still but also many throw them out for getting the new HDSPe version. Which makes them available at the second hand market .

The HDSP version has a DSP which provides a mixer without CPU drain that can do low-latency monitoring. Which is another word for piping in audio, running it through a very basic mixer (actually not much more than a fader) and routing this signal directly to the output.

This makes sense for piping in audio from other sources like slaves, but is not the only possibility to do this. With my non-DSP card in the master I currently run these audio tracks through the sequencer, with other words I re-record them. Which I prefer anyways in the moment since I want them to run through my busses for reverb etc.. Also it is very easy to do a mixdown.

But sooner or later I will change to a HDSP card for the master DAW which will reduce latency time for the slaves. Backdrop of this is that you have to record the mixdown for each slave seperately and mix this together then.

BTW I tried to look up the M-Audio Delta 192 at their website and was only able to find the Audiophile 192. Which does not have TOS-Link inputs and outputs which I would not want to miss since any of them can accept 4 stereo signals from a slave.

On the other hand the Audiophile 192 seems to have a headphones output which the RME card only has with an extension card.

To sum it up this is my current setup:

Host - RME 9636:
    - SP/DIF Out to the monitors
    - TOS-Link 1 out to the slave for synchronisation
    - TOS-Link 1 in from the slave (4 audio channels)
    - optional: TOS-Link 2 in ready for slave or a slave #3 if needed
    - optional: Extension card with one more TOS input for even 4 more stereo inputs, plus BNC world clock input if I should have 4 or more computers sometimes
    - optional: Analog output for additional monitors or headphones

Slave #1 - RME 9636:
    - TOS-Link 1 in from the host for synchronisation
    - TOS-Link 1 out to host (4 audio channels)
    - optional: TOS-Link 2 out to host (4 more audio channels)

Slave #2 - no extra soundcard
    - looped in via FX-Teleport and Ethernet

Hope this helps

Hannes

Thanks for your advice Hannes_F, one more question, I've read in a lot of forums that M-Audio probably won't produce drivers for Vista at least for their current PCI cards so my question is if your card has vista drivers?

Probably is stupid but I would like to know for how long they support their legacy hardware.

Go Back to forum