• Register
  • Help

Topic: Invention in C (GPO harpsichord)

Invention in C (GPO harpsichord)

Invention in C, 1:21, 2.5Mb

Title................Invention in C (in three voices)
    Genre..............baroque-style solo harpsichord
    Composer.........Darwin Kopp
    Comp date.......August 2007
    Comp time.......a few days
    Samples..........GPO harpsichord
    Monitors..........Sennheiser HD 580

Just a short demo of the GPO harpsichord for anyone interested.

As indicated above, feedback is not requested, but I’m always more than happy to answer any questions.

Re: Invention in C (GPO harpsichord)

when I listend to another harpichord demo from another developer here in the forum some days ago, I remembered about the great sound from Gary`s harpichord and thought about to make a demo with it.... .

So you did, and ............, oops, as you wanted, no feedback... .

Thanks for sharing this great demo!

"Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Hi, Darwin

Thanks for the top-notch Invention. You're right, that it also makes for a good demo of the Garritan Harpsichord.

You invited questions rather than feedback--Good, I have a question:

The Harpsichord is a keyswitched instrument in GPO. I've used it a number of times, and though I've auditioned the muted versions of the keyboard, I've always ended up using the A5 keyswitch which engages the 8' bright sound. I think it's safe to say that's the most instantly recognizable Harpsichord tone.

For this you've used the C6 muted tone I believe?

Randy B.

Nice invention and great use of the GPO Harpsichord.

You must have had lunch with J.S. last week. And,
    he told you to write this, eh?

Enjoyable for all of us contrapuntal fans.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

For this you've used the C6 muted tone I believe?
    Yes, though I don't think it's muted. The C6 choir is plucked closer to the nut than the others. This gives an ultra-staccato effect, which I found to be more "pleasing to the ear" for this particular piece.

Hello again, Darwin

Yes that stop does have a mellow sound even though it's very short and staccato. I can see why you chose it for this Invention.

I described it as "muted" because that's the way it's described in the GPO manual. In the chart for the Harpsichord, it says for this C6 stop, "Buff stop, muted sound."

To me it has a rather sine-wave-ish sound to it, something like synth acoustic guitars or muted Clavinets, and so comes across synthesizerish to me, and not especially natural. Pleasant sound though.

Thanks for the reply.

Randy B.

I don't hear this choir as "mellow" at all, quite the opposite. I hear it as bright and punchy, i.e., staccato.

I've never checked the GPO manual, but if it says it's muted, then it perhaps it is. There are all sorts of harpsichords out there.

This patch is a refreshing change of pace from the standard harpsichord drone. I love the sound of it for this particular piece and perhaps it can serve as a useful demonstration of this aspect of the GPO harpsichord.

A very nice invention indeed. This must be bachs 16th 2 part invention. Great job.

First-rate! The Master himself would smile, Darwin!

My best,

Great stuff here. I'm always up for well done counterpoint... probably because I'm completely incapable of writing it. I do like the "buff stop" usage too. For some reason the sound in and of itself, especially on the upper half of the range, always reminds me of some oriental string instrument (I think it's called a "biwa") so it's really good to hear it brought into this baroque sort of framework.

Keeping this one for sure.
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Go Back to forum