• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: "Woodwinds Forever"

Share/Bookmark

"Woodwinds Forever"

This is a revamp and remix of my "Woodwinds Forever".

All instruments are GPO:

Flute Solo KS
    Oboe 1 Modern Solo
    Bb Clarinet Solo
    Horn 1 Solo Ag.
    Bassoon 1 Solo

Yes, there is a horn in there because this is in the standard woodwind quintet format.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: "Woodwinds Forever"

Hi, Larry

Thank you for the sprightly, happy woodwind quintet to start my day. That IS why you posted it, right?--to start MYYyyy day. lol. No no, it would start Anyone's day very nicely, in a positive up-beat manner.

I love its sure-footed delicacy, and as always when hearing your pieces, its thoroughly intelligent structure and harmony. I also really enjoy the whimsical touches of humor throughout - a hallmark of your work.

AND this combination of GPO instruments sounds to me completely successful. There was an interesting side-conversation on another thread recently about the use of the Soloists versus the Players in GPO. I don't remember seeing the duller, less complex Player samples being used as prominently as they were in this piece I'm referring to. The choice had been made to use them because of the way that musician feels they blend more homogeneously. That's an interesting and defensible approach.

But for me, now hearing again how good the soloists sound as instruments, and hearing how well they Do blend as a quintet here in your piece, I need to still go with my previous feeling - that the Players are best used for layering larger ensembles, but don't work as well as soloists as, --well, not as well as the Soloists!

Thank you, Larry

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

That all makes sense, Brother Bowser.

Thanks for the good review, my cyberfriend. I appreciate a virtual pat on the back from time to time.

Best regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Fun, light and very entertaining with a great blending of hamonies. I have written 3 quintets and really enjoy the format. Mine are just much darker.

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    Fun, light and very entertaining with a great blending of hamonies. I have written 3 quintets and really enjoy the format. Mine are just much darker.
    Thank you for listening.

I would like to hear YOUR quintets.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    Thank you for listening.

I would like to hear YOUR quintets.

Regards,

Larry
    All I have is JABB for now. Once I get GPO, I intend to post one. I am trying to take one now and redo it for Flute, 2 clarinets, trombone and bass Clarinet to fit into JABB, but it is taking time and I am not sure I like the instrument choice yet either.

Extremely polished from one end to the other! Harmonies, melodies and especially rhythms are flawless. Wonderful blending and rendering of the instruments. Great job Mr. Larry!

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor
    Extremely polished from one end to the other! Harmonies, melodies and especially rhythms are flawless. Wonderful blending and rendering of the instruments. Great job Mr. Larry!

Michael
    I am muchly obliged, Mr. Mike. Thanks for the good review.

My best to you,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

A nice snappy WWQ piece.

This one features the flute mostly. The WWQ I played in had a strong oboist so our pieces usually featured the oboe with a slower tempo.

You did give the horn some of the spotlight also. That was great.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane
    A nice snappy WWQ piece.

This one features the flute mostly. The WWQ I played in had a strong oboist so our pieces usually featured the oboe with a slower tempo.

You did give the horn some of the spotlight also. That was great.

Phil
    Many thanks for taking the time to listen, Mr. Phil.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast