• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Choir

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Choir

Major frustration level rising:

I have tried several choir samples (the latest was Magnus Choir) that all sound good, but absolutely can not be used in audio mixdown on Cubase LE.

Cubase says talk to Syntheway, Syntheway says talk to Cubase, and on-and-on; both insisting it cannot possibly be a problem with their software.

Any idea when we can expect to see the Garritan Choir and will it be usable on Cubase LE?

Re: Choir

No idea, however, a last resort idea. Have you tried any of that shareware that will record what plays through your computer speaker out? It's silly, but at least it's something!
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

I made a recording using Florestan and Papelmedia choirs in Sonar. I'm sure it must be possible in Cubase too.
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

This does seem rather odd, Tom.

Cubase LE doesn't have any less capability than larger programs, not in the way of basic functions, it's just limited in the number of tracks and buses you can have.

You're saying that selecting the MIDI track and the associated audio track doesn't yield the bounced audio track as it does with your other soft synths - GPO, et al?

Well, there's always the option of recording a track in real time. I've done that before with soft synths. If you can hear the choirs playing back your MIDI data, this has to work.

Arm an audio track which has the choir's audio track as its input, and record it in real time. That sort of thing worked for me several times when I was having troubles with bouncing and was running tests.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by schneb
    Have you tried any of that shareware that will record what plays through your computer speaker out?
    Audacity is an excellent freeware open-source application that works very well for this purpose, among other audio editing tasks.
    Best of luck,
    David Guinness

Dell P4 2.66GHz, 2GB RAM, Windows XP Pro SP2, Finale 2007c, GPO and JABB with KP2
    HP AMD 2.3Ghz Dual, 3GB RAM, Vista Home Premium, Finale 2008, GPO, JABB, Gofriller Solo Cello with KP2

Thank you, David, Randy, diligamus, schneb - i write almost everything in midi and then draw it into to Cubase and assign the instruments, then mixdown to wav.

I have not donw real-time recording - guess I better get to it.

Hello again, Tom_Davis

I hope you get your problem straightened out soon. I am rather sure the answers are on this thread - You never actually replied to whether or not you are being sure to choose both the MIDI and associated audio tracks of the choir when you go to bounce the track.

I'm here also to ask what you meant by "... i write almost everything in midi and then draw it into to Cubase and assign the instruments..."

Why aren't you doing all that in Cubase? Like all DAWS, it's a MIDI/Audio recording program, so you can work out your MIDI tracks right there, playing the instruments you want to use from the very start of the project.

And then what do you mean that you're "drawing" your MIDI tracks in Cubase-? I guess you mean that you're using the Staff view--you're not using a keyboard? But again, all that work could be done in Cubase. WOrking out the MIDI doesn't need to be a separately done process before you work in Cubase.

Hannes pointed out in a current thread that working directly in the Piano Roll View of DAWs works very well, even for people who read music well. He didn't spell out the reasons, but I know what he's talking about - the visual display of notes in Piano Roll can be very intuitive to work with, since you can absolutely see the real start times and lengths of notes.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

First let me say that my impression of Syntheway had risen 100% Never before have I had a company pursue a problem so doggedly and write a new program to correct an issue - and all for a $39.00 product.

First part of the solution was to make sure the Magnus Choir is only in channel 1 of Cubase. Also, for some reason, Cubase changes to "blank preset" when attempting to export.

Daniel Laisecva of Syntheway wrote new files that limit to complete 32 presets the complete bank for those (like Cubase) that search more presets so the audio mixdown tracks can be saved correctly.

I dumped the original files and loaded the new ones - things are working quite well. While I am not particularly pleased with some of the attack and release elements of Magnus Choir, as a general sampler for clients it does the job quite well with dozens of alternative choir samplings.

I can't wait to see what Garritan comes up with later.

Hello again, Tom_Davis

You never actually replied to whether or not you are being sure to choose both the MIDI and associated audio tracks of the choir when you go to bounce the track.

Sorry about that - yes I was.

I'm here also to ask what you meant by "... i write almost everything in midi and then draw it into to Cubase and assign the instruments..."

Why aren't you doing all that in Cubase? Like all DAWS, it's a MIDI/Audio recording program, so you can work out your MIDI tracks right there, playing the instruments you want to use from the very start of the project.

Well, the main reason is that Maestro is so easy to use and then import into Cubase as a midi file. I have not been able to rapidly get Cubase note entry to work for me. I write 10 to 15 pieces a month for presentation to clients - anything that slows me down (for whatever reason) costs money.

And then what do you mean that you're "drawing" your MIDI tracks in Cubase-? I guess you mean that you're using the Staff view--you're not using a keyboard? But again, all that work could be done in Cubase. WOrking out the MIDI doesn't need to be a separately done process before you work in Cubase.

I rarely use a keyboard because I always find hundreds of changes I want to make after entry. When I enter the notes by hand the process is a little slower and demands considerable attention to detail that saves lots of edit time.

Whether the project is a simple short jingle or a longer choral or orchestral piece, I enjoy the construction process of digital entry.

Did any of that make any sense at all?

Hi, Tom

Yes, everything you just said makes total sense. I didn't think Maestro would be so much easier to work in, but then, I'm not you! - Have you tried entry of notes in the Piano Roll? I talked about that earlier - I really rebelled against it at first, but then the intuitiveness of it sank into me. It can be a Very fast way to work.

10 to 15 presentations to clients a month-?! Wow--what do you do exactly? Where do we sign up for gigs like that?!

BUT the best news is two posts back when you told us the success story with Syntheway. Wow--so there WEre issues preventing you to use their choir properly in Cubase LE. And now it's fixed, you're happy (as happy as one can be with soft synth choirs---kinda scary sounding most of the time--hehe)--I'm GLad you got that figured out. We were all scratching our heads over your problem.

Thanks for the reports!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Go Back to forum