• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO pan position in Sibelius

Share/Bookmark

Wink GPO pan position in Sibelius

Hello everyone -
    I did a tutorial on this some time back; it was involved, convoluted, and confusing. I understood it (most of the time) but I don't think anyone else did. Here's a reworking, straightforward and more briefer :

GPO figures pan as a percentage left or right from top center.
    Sibelius pan works like a protractor, with zero at hard left where zero degrees would be, 127 at hard right where 180 degrees would be, and the mid-point, 63.5 steps, at 90 degrees top center.

Coordinating Sibelius pan with GPO means taking Sib's top center point, 63.5 steps, as 100%, and figuring from that.

For instruments on the left, the GPO percent must be subtracted from 100% to get you to the left side of the Sibelius pan. For example, Piccolo NV loads with a pan of 20% left. 20% left in Sibelius means 20% less than (left of) the 63.5 top center point. 100% - 20% = 80%. Take 80% of 63.5 to get the correct left side midi position in Sibelius: 0.8 X 63.5 = 50.8, rounded up to 51.

For instruments on the right, GPO percent must be added to 100% to get you to the right side of the Sibelius pan. For example, Tenor Trombone Player 1 loads with a pan of 25% right. 25% right in Sibelius means 25% more than (right of) the 63.5 top center point. 100% + 25% = 125%. Multiply by 63.5 to get the correct right side midi position in Sibelius: 1.25 X 63.5 = 79.375, rounded down to 79.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by DavidGHL; 08-09-2007 at 06:17 PM. Reason: incomplete

Re: GPO pan position in Sibelius

--you're not kidding--?! wow--now Why in the heck wasn't that simple little panning function made invisible, seamless to the user? One has to wonder.

The more I read about the back flips notation users have to do to make music--makes me get out my Sonar installation disc and just hug to death.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Go Back to forum