• Register
  • Help

Topic: Great program to adjust the velocity response note by note on a midi keyboard

Share/Bookmark

Great program to adjust the velocity response note by note on a midi keyboard

On the PianoTeq forum, I recently ran across a program called Pianotuner that lets one adjust the velocity scaling of a keyboard note by note, giving one great control of the timbre you can achieve on each each key. It's a midi program that requires midiyoke and takes a minute to set up, but well worth the time. It's freeware available at:

http://users.belgacom.net/gc813607/index.html

Why might one want this? Partly if you, like me, have a keyboard that has a hard velocity response. But you can also use it to adjust keys so that they feel more like a piano you know, with lower bass notes having a darker tone, or more of a thud, if you reduce their velocity scaling.

However, my best use of the program has been in conjunction with the Velocity Floor setting in TruePianos and the Dynamics setting in PianoTeq. Both of these settings allow you to raise the amplitude of low velocity strikes. You can adjust these settings in conjunction with PianoTuner, giving some keys a slower response or faster response to velocity to match a desired timbre. In other words, you can just about set the exact timbre and volume that you want for each velocity key by key on your keyboard with very few keystrokes and no dragging of sample velocity ranges.

The result, for me at least, has been to have what feels and sounds like an entirely new keyboard and sets of pianos.

Re: Great program to adjust the velocity response note by note on a midi keyboard

Hi Jake,

Thanks for this info. I'm going to check this out... I recently got the new Italian grand from Ivory and love how it plays - except at one octave of my keyboard it sounds flat. Maybe this will help me fix that.

Thanks again,

Re: Great program to adjust the velocity response note by note on a midi keyboard

Yes, it does let you adjust tuning note by note, also, without having to open the sampler engine to make the adjustments. I'm using it just for adjusting the velocity scale note by ote, however. Greatly improves my ability to get the the sound I want. (Often, just getting a wider range of low velocity sounds.)

Now, I'm searching for a program that will let me scale the amplitude of various velocities, so I can increase the volume of low velocity notes without increasing either their velocity or the amplitude of high velocity strikes.

I'm on a MAC looks like I can't use this... oh well.

Try writing to the developer. He's stopped working on this program, but he might know of a similar program for Macs. (His e-mail address is on his site.)

I am fortunate enough to have an Oberheim MC3000, and some KS88's, the latter for non piano action instruments. So with 48 programmable velocity tables, and good weighted action I can even pull off some of Isao Tomita's Snowflakes Are Dancing, and throw the piano parts in between the synth movements, live of course. But I am also fortunate enough to have bought into the Scope Platform years back and have had several custom devices made for me from developers. The best one for my sampled Gigastudio pianos is a velocity controlled polyphonic EQ, which basically enhances the individual layers w/ EQ's controlled by dynamics. Even an old favorite of mine from Vintaudio's Upright Piano collection is so responsive on my MC3000, and the sound of the EQ is phenominal as it is a Mid/Side style EQ as well, where the threshold, and ratios can be brought to bear.

Well I am starting to sound like I am some genious which I am not. My point being that Scope is a very mature platform which allows me to play GS3/GVI libraries with supreme customization.

Just a 600 USD sound card allows you entry into this keyboard players heaven.

Hell I am tired of writing. Just check out the forum........www.planetz.com....and see what some of the guys there can do. Especially the device forum, and announcements, where guys like John Bowen dwell ( creator of Solaris synth ). He has made several custom synths for us as well as guys like Hans Zimmer who enjoy this little known but awesome platform.

Whatever you hear in your head, guys there can make for you, and much of it is free due to the SDK agreement on developement.

Go Enjoy Yourself,

Go Back to forum