• Register
  • Help

View Poll Results: What Is/Are Your Current Sample Engine(s) Of Choice 2007

Voters
415. You may not vote on this poll
  • Virtual Instruments ( VSL/GPO/Stylus/ etc.)

165 39.76%
  • Kontakt

255 61.45%
  • Gigastudio

90 21.69%
  • EmulatorX

3 0.72%
  • HALion

16 3.86%
  • EXS24

42 10.12%
  • Motu Mach5

7 1.69%
  • Other Software Sampler (specify below in post)

16 3.86%
  • Hardware Sampler (module/keyboard)

15 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: What Is/Are Your Current Sample Engine(s) Of Choice

Share/Bookmark

What Is/Are Your Current Sample Engine(s) Of Choice

WHAT IS YOUR CURRENT SAMPLE ENGINE OF CHOICE

Let's see how things have changed in the last few years
    here are a few within our poll.

Virtual Instruments ( VSL/GPO/Stylus/ etc.)
    Kontakt
    Gigastudio
    EmulatorX
    HALion
    EXS24
    Motu Mach5

Re: What Is/Are Your Current Sample Engine(s) Of Choice

Thanks for the new poll! This should be interesting.

My vote goes for Kontakt but there are a couple of sample based Virtual Instruments that offer something that couldn't be done in Kontakt. Most important ones for me are EZ Drummer and Stylus RMX. The integrated MIDI library, MIDI player and drag & drop features are essential parts of those libraries. I also think that PLAY with integrated Word Builder might finally make EWQLSC the product I've been hoping it was. Apart from those Kontakt rules!

Thumbs up Re: What Is/Are Your Current Sample Engine(s) Of Choice

KONTAKT 2 RULES!

Voting as a user. Believe it or not, I do own as many titles as you guys do. Well, maybe not THAT many but still. LOL

FB
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

Kontakt 2, MOTU Mach5 (just got version 2), and Giga 3 running into my Mac from a PC.

Peace

rikp

Kontakt2 all the way!

nothing can compete without the scripting

Here's my personal preferences & why:

1. Kontakt
    2. Emu X
    3. Halion
    4. NNXT
    5. EXS24

If Emu X ran on the Mac, it would go to the top of my heap by a long shot, as it it is, I still use it a whole lot, but not as much as Kontakt-- especially for batch import/export & batch processing samples & for DSP that IMO is often better than Bias' Peak's. It is, though, really heavy on CPU. Preset programming in Emu X is really, really deep as well, if sometimes a bit difficult--still it's the only one that has things like function generators. But, I don't use it much for that stuff, because of the smallish market.

I don't like the way Kontakt deals with sample zones & sample import--Halion is way ahead there. (and Emu X is way, way ahead) But, I like a lot of things much more about Kontakt's UI, and I don't like the whole VST save/load patches/banks implementation in Halion.

NNXT is better than one would think, but is missing some really basic stuff (no numeric entry for loop points...hello..!) , and has some bugs--maybe it's all fixed in 4.0 (?).

EXS is *badly* in need of a facelift, & misses features that every thing else on the planet can do; for instance you can't do a multi level VSW (velo switch) and a VCF (mod wheel fade) at the same time, but is at least probably the CPU leader (?)

I don't own Mach 5; but am seriously thinking about it.
    Sounds And Effects
    www.soundsandeffects.com

Technically it's the Kontakt Player that came with Finale...

Still think it rocks, though - my first experience with modern software samplers. I love the keyswitching, I love the CC#1 vs. velocity partnership. I can't believe how many stride foward have been made in the last five years or so.

Don't know if this is of interest, but over on KVR-VST.com, I started a poll in the Samples forum asking which sample player had the best interface. (My thought was to isolate the various aspects of each program. Next I want to post a poll asking which has the most features. My gut feeling is that Kontakt has the most features but one of the worst interfaces, since NI seems to have never heard of using tabs. The two are of course related: the more features a program has, the more difficult it is to create a clean interface. NI seems to have chosen the path of adding new items to their scroll-down interface, instead of redesigning things so that feaures related to different aspects of the instrument are on separate pages that could be accessed by a button or on a tab.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Johnson
    Don't know if this is of interest, but over on KVR-VST.com, I started a poll in the Samples forum asking which sample player had the best interface. (My thought was to isolate the various aspects of each program. Next I want to post a poll asking which has the most features. My gut feeling is that Kontakt has the most features but one of the worst interfaces, since NI seems to have never heard of using tabs. The two are of course related: the more features a program has, the more difficult it is to create a clean interface. NI seems to have chosen the path of adding new items to their scroll-down interface, instead of redesigning things so that feaures related to different aspects of the instrument are on separate pages that could be accessed by a button or on a tab.)
    I wouldn't say this makes it one of the worst interfaces at all but, my problem with Kontakt's UI is that it doesn't have a modulation matrix. So, if you want to change say an LFO from LFO > Amp, to LFO > Pitch, you have to delete one, and recreate the other, then reassign it in the other module. And, as you say, you have to scroll down for the LFO's settings.

OTOH, you can at least save some commonly used preset settings (crossfades, lfo's, envelopes) separately from presets, which several of the others can't do (Halion, EXS, NNXT).
    Sounds And Effects
    www.soundsandeffects.com

OK-I'm convinced! Is there a low cost way-entry level version, perhaps, like GS3 Solo- to move from GS3 to Kontakt?

Carl

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast