• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Shereherazade - Jason Travis Stewart

Orcas Island

Shereherazade - Jason Travis Stewart

Jason Travis Stewart from New Mexico State University has sent in his first work for the listening pleasure of this forum.

Here is Rimsky-Korsakov's classic "Shereherazade"

"Jason write: Scheherazade recreates the legend of the Sultan Schahriar, who, convinced of the perfidy and faithlessness of women, vowed to execute each of his wives after the first night. But the Sultana Scheherazade saved her life by telling the Sultan fascinating stories for 1001 nights, staving off her demise by keeping the sanguinary ruler in a state of suspense over the outcome of the tales she told. Scheherazade is imbued with exotic Near Eastern moods and the subtle flavor of Russian folk music."

Jason did this in Finale with GPO. This first movement took over two months (9,659 notes, 5,237 other items) . He checked out the full score from the library and entered this note by note on his laptop. Then he "shaped
    notes and lines using articulations and expressions, and jimmied the
    cadenzas using extended measures and tempo changes". Jason is working on the rest of Sheherazade.

This is an excellent rendition and quite an undertaking. Please give a listen and enjoy!

Let's all extend a warm welcome to Jason. I am looking forward to hearing more music from Jason.

Gary Garritan

Re: Shereherazade - Jason Travis Stewart

Wow what an undertaking!

It is wonderful to hear this , especially in light of the incredibly value orchestration course by Rimsky-Korsakov.

I think the dynamics are particularly realised well.

WOW! I have three live recordings of Scheherezade and I've been secretly waiting for someone to do it with GPO since I bought it... but I never thought it would really happen.

Yes it's still downloading, I'm just posting anyway to say thank you.

bbl with comments.
    -Chris P.
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Oops, the link is not working here......
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

This is a very nice piece... if I could download it. Link not working.

Nope. Nothing working for me either. Shame. I would love to hear this after all that work.

The link works fine for me. This has always been one of my favorite pieces and you have done a fine job of rendering this. I have to assume that it is also one of yours.

Gary - The link doesn't work for me either, by right clicking Or left clicking.

And this dovetails into a current thread where the Garritan Demo page is discussed - The same non-functioning behavior is happening for many of us on a great number of the links there also, exactly the same problem as with this link for Jason's work.

Here's the URL for the General Discussion thread in case you haven't seen it:

The demos used to play fine for me, but something is clearly not right, as you'll see from that discussion.

Meanwhile, I hope to hear Jason's work soon!

Randy B.

This is a very well rendered piece. I like how you brought out the lyricism of in the music, especially in the exotic melody of Scheherazade. It must be a lot of work using laptop and edit everything by hand...
    My suggestions are that more aggressive brass patches could be used and take even more liberty with tempo in the violin cadenza passages.

I'm curious to know which score was used for this. It almost sounds like a chamber orchestra version. Is this maybe a re-orchestration score? The strings sound terribly weak and watered down.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast